The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Only just over 2 and a half months now until the exam. Hows everyones revision going? This unit is going to be tough especially becuase it has the synoptic essay in it worth 25 marks!. I have attached the June 2010 and Specimen past papers with the mark schemes for revision purposes!!! There are no other actual BIOL5 papers available for this exam as it can only be taken in June. Enjoy :biggrin:

REVISION NOTES: http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/resources/biol5.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Links to the AQA website for the specimen BIOL5 paper + mark scheme as the files are too large to be uploaded! Just click on the "Specimen papers and mark schemes" tab and scroll down.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/science/biology_materials.php?id=03&prev=&tabid=1
Reply 22
Can anyone pls post the latest january aqa bio5 paper not the 10's one ??

thz!
Original post by T_ca

thz!

If it was available I would have posted it in the other thread, however AQA don't do a January paper for Bio5 yet :smile:.
Reply 24
Original post by T_ca

thz!

There's only one past paper other than the specimen for BIOL5, and that's last year's one. Teachers have access to it on eAQA, I hear.
I was going to create a thread on this. :smile:
I think it'll be a good place to post any essay questions you've been given so we can all have a go at some.
I might also post my essay plans at some point too.

To be honest, I need the support from you guys! I have 2 of the worst teachers ever, seriously we do not learn a thing. Everyone has had to get tutors but I might not be able to afford one :|
I found out today we have only covered 3/8 topics! We have 3 weeks left and we haven't even done any practice essay or preparation!
So yes, I am starting to panic.

I have a question for you guys, for the essay question how much knowledge do we need to know on the AS content? Does it have to be detailed, because I have a memory like a sieve.
Reply 27
... subscribes ...
Original post by cobra2k10
AQA Nelson Thornes Textbook Answers :biggrin:

OH MY GOD!! Thankyouuuuuuuuuu!! You absolute hero :wink:
Reply 29
Well our school hasn't even finished teaching us the course, so its basically teach yourself at the minute! Thanks for the chapter answers and 2010 paper!
Reply 30
We just finished being taught it, but im not 100% we've covered the right stuff. Just hoping this paper is nicer than unit 4, which I'm waiting to hear back from the remark lol
Reply 31
arghh :[ Scary stuff, specially with that essay question!
Reply 32
we've finished the syllabus now and just on revision. Did a mock essay the other day which I got 23/25 on :-D
Reply 33
My college has finsihed everything so we are revising 'Synoptic Biology' as it comes up in the essay and in the papers! Biol5 is going to be a tough paper especially with the 25 mark synoptic essay but its not that bad as it can only be on some certain topics (about 10 from AS + A2). Try to do every past essay question and get it marked form your teacher. I started off getting 17/25 and I'm now on 22/25. You get better with practice!
Reply 34
Original post by cobra2k10
My college has finsihed everything so we are revising 'Synoptic Biology' as it comes up in the essay and in the papers! Biol5 is going to be a tough paper especially with the 25 mark synoptic essay but its not that bad as it can only be on some certain topics (about 10 from AS + A2). Try to do every past essay question and get it marked form your teacher. I started off getting 17/25 and I'm now on 22/25. You get better with practice!

can you name a few biology essay topics that your tutor provided you with so that i can practice.
can you give us hint( on how you improved from 17 to 22 - eg you got a massive topic, how do you start, how do you jot down your points , what are the things you should and not do.

i have not written any essay so far,i might start now.
many thanks for your help.
Reply 35
Original post by al_habib
can you name a few biology essay topics that your tutor provided you with so that i can practice.
can you give us hint( on how you improved from 17 to 22 - eg you got a massive topic, how do you start, how do you jot down your points , what are the things you should and not do.

i have not written any essay so far,i might start now.
many thanks for your help.

There's a book somewhere, sorry I cant remember what it's called my schools ordered our class some, which contains 20 essay questions and ideal model answers.

On a side note for the synoptic section you only get 16 marks for content, the other 9 marks come from spelling/grammar, ensuring you use multiple chapters and subsections etc
Reply 36
Has everyone finished the whole spec? We've only just started hormones and I'm slightly concerned now seeing loads of people have finished...
Reply 37
we've only just started hormones and the control of the oestrus cycle thing...
Reply 38
Subs. I'm not to worried about the essay tbh cos all my other subjects are essay based so I have a lot of practice. The only trouble is the synoptic essay aims to inform not argue, unlike every other essay I've ever written :s-smilie:
*Subscribes*

We've nearly finished, we did the course in a weird order though and have some stuff on neurones and muscle contraction left. We haven't done many of the synoptic essays yet.
I still haven't taken the biology unit 4 exam either (my college is annoying and insists we must take both exams in june...More stress!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending