The Student Room Group

Best way to learn Arabic at a slow pace?

My goal is to learn Arabic after my BA, but I figured I'd start it off now in my spare time. Since I won't have much time, only a few hours a week, I was wondering what the best way to go about it would be. My idea was to become comfortable with the script (reading and writing), perhaps pronunciation, as well as the very basics of grammar. That way I can jump straight in after my BA and learn at a quick pace, with full dedication.

So, any tips for going about learning the very basics of Arabic when I only have very little time?
Original post by RamlakU
My goal is to learn Arabic after my BA, but I figured I'd start it off now in my spare time. Since I won't have much time, only a few hours a week, I was wondering what the best way to go about it would be. My idea was to become comfortable with the script (reading and writing), perhaps pronunciation, as well as the very basics of grammar. That way I can jump straight in after my BA and learn at a quick pace, with full dedication.

So, any tips for going about learning the very basics of Arabic when I only have very little time?

What sort of Arabic do you want to learn? Fus7a?
Reply 2
Original post by beefmaster
What sort of Arabic do you want to learn? Fus7a?

Yeah, sorry, should've specified. Initially I want to learn MSA.
Original post by RamlakU
Yeah, sorry, should've specified. Initially I want to learn MSA.

If you just want to learn the alphabet and a few basic phrases then it is probably best to just use internet resources. If you want to delve a little further then the standard book used in most Arabic classes at university level is "Al-Kitaab".

What are you looking to do on your own exactly?
Reply 4
Original post by beefmaster
What are you looking to do on your own exactly?

That's what I was looking for opinions on. :smile: Given that I am in no rush I wanted to go about learning the basics in the best possible way. After learning to write and read the script (I'm in the process of this already) what should I focus on?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RamlakU
That's what I was looking for opinions on. :smile: Given that I am in no rush I wanted to go about learning the basics in the best possible way. After learning to write and read the script (I'm in the process of this already) what should I focus on?

If you are in no real rush then I would personally look for a once a week evening class. Most universities have language departments that offer these.

If not just learn the alphabet then try and work a bit through one of the 'teach yourself' books to learn some basic phrases and get a feel for how sentences are put together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending