The Student Room Group

Help me integrate this please :)

I'm not sure what method to use for this c4 integral:
(x+1)^2/(x^2)+1

Could you also tell me what method you're using and what type of integral you labelled this as? I've tried to multiply out the top part, recognition...but nothing seems to work

thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alpha_4
I'm not sure what method to use for this c4 integral:
(x+1)^2/(x^2)+1

Could you also tell me what method you're using and what type of integral you labelled this as? I've tried to multiply out the top part, recognition...but nothing seems to work

thanks!!

Note that (x+1)2x2+1(x2+1)+2xx2+1\dfrac{(x+1)^2}{x^2+1} \equiv \dfrac{(x^2+1) + 2x}{x^2+1} and then recall that a+bcac+bc\dfrac{a+b}{c} \equiv \dfrac{a}{c} + \dfrac{b}{c}. This will leave you with two trivial integrals to deal with.
(edited 13 years ago)
Try using long division first and see where that gets you :smile:

EDIT: Sorry, why was this negged? What I said achieves exactly the same as what Farhan said - divide the top bit by the bottom bit (hence long division), to get an expression that's much simpler to integrate. I was just trying to help :facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
(x+1)2x2+1=x2+1+2xx2+1 \frac{(x+1)^2}{x^2+1} = \frac{x^2 +1 +2x}{x^2+1}
Reply 4
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Note that (x+1)2x2+1(x2+1)+2xx2+1\dfrac{(x+1)^2}{x^2+1} \equiv \dfrac{(x^2+1) + 2x}{x^2+1} and then recall that a+bcac+bc\dfrac{a+b}{c} \equiv \dfrac{a}{c} + \dfrac{b}{c}. This will leave you with two trivial integrals to deal with.

thank you very much
Reply 5

Sorry to bother you, but what would you do for this integral:
1/(x^2)(x-1)

Original post by alpha_4
1/(x^2)(x-1)

Use partial fractions.
Original post by alpha_4
1/(x^2)(x-1)

Partial fractions is probably a good idea.

Express 1x2(x1)\dfrac{1}{x^2 (x-1)} in the form Ax+Bx2+Cx1\dfrac{Ax+B}{x^2} + \dfrac{C}{x-1}, and find the constants A, B and C.

Express 1x2(x1)\dfrac{1}{x^2 (x-1)} in the form Ax+Bx2+Cx1\dfrac{Ax+B}{x^2} + \dfrac{C}{x-1}, and find the constants A, B and C.

How about this ?

1x2(x1)=Ax2+Bx+Cx1\frac 1{x^2(x-1)}=\frac {\large A}{x^2} + \frac {\large B}{x}+ \frac {\large C}{x-1}

Oh wait. same thing. Sorry
Original post by CookieGhoul
Oh wait. same thing. Sorry

Yep.
Reply 10

Thanks, I don't think those types of partial fractions are in the c4 syllabus but it seems like the most sensible option :smile:

Only one more, if you don't mind...

x^2/X^3 + 1
Original post by alpha_4
Thanks, I don't think those types of partial fractions are in the c4 syllabus but it seems like the most sensible option :smile:

x^2/X^3 + 1

Is it (x^2)/(x^3+1) or (x^2)/(x^3) + 1
Original post by alpha_4

x^2/X^3 + 1

Note that x2x3+113×3x2x3+113×ddx[x3+C]x3+1\dfrac{x^2}{x^3+1} \equiv \dfrac{1}{3} \times \dfrac{3x^2}{x^3+1} \equiv \dfrac{1}{3} \times \dfrac{\frac{d}{dx}[x^3+C]}{x^3+1}. What do you know about integrals of that form. If that method doesn't work for you, use a substitution of u=x31u=x^3-1

I'd assume that he meant the former as the latter is reasonably trivial.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13

(x^2)/(x^3) + 1
the latter, sorry!
Reply 14
Note that x2x3+113×3x2x3+113×ddx[x3+C]x3+1\dfrac{x^2}{x^3+1} \equiv \dfrac{1}{3} \times \dfrac{3x^2}{x^3+1} \equiv \dfrac{1}{3} \times \dfrac{\frac{d}{dx}[x^3+C]}{x^3+1}. What do you know about integrals of that form. If that method doesn't work for you, use a substitution of u=x31u=x^3-1

I'd assume that he meant the former as the latter is reasonably trivial.

Didn't you just integrate the former?
Original post by alpha_4
(x^2)/(x^3) + 1
the latter, sorry!

Omg dude. Then you'll be integrating

1x+1\dfrac {1}{x} + 1
Original post by alpha_4
(x^2)/(x^3) + 1
the latter, sorry!

You need to be using LaTeX to make sure your posts are clear. If you can't do that integral, you need to reopen your textbook and learn about integrals that lead to logs properly. Then come back and ask for help if you're stuck.
You need to be using LaTeX to make sure your posts are clear. If you can't do that integral, you need to reopen your textbook and learn about integrals that lead to logs properly. Then come back and ask for help if you're stuck.

LOL! + rep to you :biggrin:

Haha, you wrote so much for the other case, and he just wanted a simple integral
LOL! + rep to you :biggrin:

Haha, you wrote so much for the other case, and he just wanted a simple integral

It's not so much that, it's just that I'm trying to help someone with a more difficult problem in the topic when he doesn't seem to understand the basics of it. :p:
Reply 19
LOOL, the difference latex would've made in this case is immense!

Quick Reply

Latest