The Student Room Group

Law conversion / GDL – cheapest course?

In pursuit of my ambition of becoming a solicitor I am currently examining the cheapest law conversion / GDL option? My first degree is a 2.1 in politics and psychology from Oxfrod Brookes University.

I am willing to consider 2 year fast track degrees, masters, GDL etc. I am also open to distance learning and part time. I am currently on benefits and have very limited funds / debts with no possible access to loans. In light of this I would be grateful of any suggestions.
I am in a similar boat to you. 2:1 in History and Politcs at Liverpool and then a 2:1 Masters from Lancaster. I have had to move abroad to find work, but considering returning back to the UK and doing a GDL at UCLAN (nearest uni) purely based on finances and living at home. Would I be seriously affecting my prospects by not going to the best uni possible?
Reply 2
Original post by marada
In pursuit of my ambition of becoming a solicitor I am currently examining the cheapest law conversion / GDL option? My first degree is a 2.1 in politics and psychology from Oxfrod Brookes University.

I am willing to consider 2 year fast track degrees, masters, GDL etc. I am also open to distance learning and part time. I am currently on benefits and have very limited funds / debts with no possible access to loans. In light of this I would be grateful of any suggestions.

Cheapest way is to start contacting law firms and trying to get one of them to sponser you for your GDL/LPC and then give you a TC....a surprising number do sponser people through these stages by paying all tuition fees and some living expenses, but obviously expect competition to be fierce.
Reply 3
Obtaining sponsorship is extremely difficult and if you are not Oxbridge or a graduate from a university ranked in the top 10 you might as well forget sponsorship (especially in the current economic climate). Also I have not worked for nearly 10 years due to looking after a sick parent; therefore law firms would be very sceptical about sponsoring me.
Reply 4
Original post by exofaco_844@
I am in a similar boat to you. 2:1 in History and Politcs at Liverpool and then a 2:1 Masters from Lancaster. I have had to move abroad to find work, but considering returning back to the UK and doing a GDL at UCLAN (nearest uni) purely based on finances and living at home. Would I be seriously affecting my prospects by not going to the best uni possible?

From what I have read I don't think it matters where you do your GDL / LPC, as they are all supposed to be of the same standard set down by the law society. I am sure law firms would understand as in this day and age we are getting into a 2 tier education system based on your ability to pay. I know a kid who got all A grades in his A levels, however he is studying at Wolverhampton (his local uni) as he can't afford to live away from home. I think the snobbery surrounding universities is really wrong, as many people simply can’t afford to study away from home and have no choice.

Out of interest what job did you find abroad? What country did you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending