The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Not necessarily british born but you get a fair few kickers from other countries. I guess its because that part is fundamentally the most similar to rugby so you get a lot of guys who are already very good when they start trying American Football.
Original post by Tokyoround
Actually another big-time Giants player is English. Osi Umenyiora born in Golders Green London. Only 3 brits have ever won a superbowl ring though, including those two we just mentioned and some old guy lol. Most Brits who make it to the NFL though have played in America since high school pretty tough for us to just turn up and play otherwise!

I didn't know that :holmes:

But yeah, english technically but an all-american up bringing.
Sebastian Janikowski, a long time kicker for the Raiders is Polish. :yeah:
Reply 1023
Original post by Mithra
Not necessarily british born but you get a fair few kickers from other countries. I guess its because that part is fundamentally the most similar to rugby so you get a lot of guys who are already very good when they start trying American Football.

A lot of guys who are the kicker for a college team are so because they didn't make the soccer team. The kicker at USF a few years ago was picked up from the soccer team.
Reply 1024
Apparently NCAA 12 comes out in like July, we should clearly start an online career thing :coma:.

http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football

Original post by RNBen
A lot of guys who are the kicker for a college team are so because they didn't make the soccer team. The kicker at USF a few years ago was picked up from the soccer team.

Intriguing :beard:
Original post by rugbygreg
Aha we'll see :badger:.
QFA

Didn't want to hijack that thread lol

basically, the Saints need to do this:

Keep Drew Brees healthy and firing on all cylinders

Bring back the effectiveness of that triple-back threat

Keep their cool against bad teams like the Seahawks lmao!

Beat other NFC South teams (a very strong division now with New Orleans, Tampa and Atlanta.)

I think they actually have a very good chance. Look at pittsburgh. won superbowl 43, did bad the next year, then returned to superbowl 45. the saints did better this year (the year after their superbowl win) than pittsburgh did.

I think it will be between either making the play-offs and getting to the superbowl, such is the difficulty of your division. if the saints can win the NFC South, they are the strongest NFC team IMO.
Original post by S129439
Didn't want to hijack that thread lol

basically, the Saints need to do this:

Keep Drew Brees healthy and firing on all cylinders

Bring back the effectiveness of that triple-back threat

Keep their cool against bad teams like the Seahawks lmao!

Beat other NFC South teams (a very strong division now with New Orleans, Tampa and Atlanta.)

I think they actually have a very good chance. Look at pittsburgh. won superbowl 43, did bad the next year, then returned to superbowl 45. the saints did better this year (the year after their superbowl win) than pittsburgh did.

I think it will be between either making the play-offs and getting to the superbowl, such is the difficulty of your division. if the saints can win the NFC South, they are the strongest NFC team IMO.

Yeah Brees had a down year last year, well by his standards. We need Thomas healthy too and if we can upgrade our pass rush then we'll have an amazing chance as long as we can beat out the falcons for the NFC south title, I don't fancy going through the wildcards again and giving up home field advantage.
I'm really looking forward to the draft (although not as much as the Pats with your 3 picks in the first 33 selections) and hope they can have an instant impact along with big Shaun Rogers.
Original post by rugbygreg
Yeah Brees had a down year last year, well by his standards. We need Thomas healthy too and if we can upgrade our pass rush then we'll have an amazing chance as long as we can beat out the falcons for the NFC south title, I don't fancy going through the wildcards again and giving up home field advantage.
I'm really looking forward to the draft (although not as much as the Pats with your 3 picks in the first 33 selections) and hope they can have an instant impact along with big Shaun Rogers.

true dat.

I am full on BUZZIN for the draft! (presuming it happens as normal) lol
Reply 1028
So what do you guys think about the draft?

Who will go first pick?
Who will your team pick first?
Who will be a bust, or a surprise package?
Original post by T-Hill
So what do you guys think about the draft?

Who will go first pick?
Who will your team pick first?
Who will be a bust, or a surprise package?

Who will go first? No idea. Too up in the air. Maybe Blaine Gabbert? Possibly a d-line guy like Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers.

Only picks I am confident on are:

3. Buffalo - Cam Newton QB (Auburn)
4. Cincinnati - A.J Green WR (Georgia)
5. Arizona - Von Miller OLB (Texas A&M)
16. Jacksonville - Ryan Kerrigan DE (Purdue)

My team is the Patriots, so nobody knows. We might well trade up or down. If we stay still, I think we will take either Adrian Clayborn or JJ Watt if they are still there at 17. If not we will trade down for a first in next years draft and grab an OT at 28 in the shape of either Gabe Carimi, Nate Solder or Mike Pouncey.
Dolphins have to trade down. We don't have a second rounder after the BMarsh trade last year.
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Dolphins have to trade down. We don't have a second rounder after the BMarsh trade last year.

nahhh. trade all your picks for pick #1 then draft a bust :biggrin: would help the pats out :L

(but yeah, two second rounders sounds good for the fins right now)
Original post by S129439
nahhh. trade all your picks for pick #1 then draft a bust :biggrin: would help the pats out :L

(but yeah, two second rounders sounds good for the fins right now)

Well we could probably just get a late 1st and a second I'd think. I doubt we'll be able to get a new QB anyway, just the O-Line/RB should be the focus.
Reply 1033
Original post by S129439
Who will go first? No idea. Too up in the air. Maybe Blaine Gabbert? Possibly a d-line guy like Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers.

Only picks I am confident on are:

3. Buffalo - Cam Newton QB (Auburn)
4. Cincinnati - A.J Green WR (Georgia)
5. Arizona - Von Miller OLB (Texas A&M)
16. Jacksonville - Ryan Kerrigan DE (Purdue)

My team is the Patriots, so nobody knows. We might well trade up or down. If we stay still, I think we will take either Adrian Clayborn or JJ Watt if they are still there at 17. If not we will trade down for a first in next years draft and grab an OT at 28 in the shape of either Gabe Carimi, Nate Solder or Mike Pouncey.

If Buffalo go Newton and Arizona don't go QB, I'll be surprised.

I'm thinking Arizona go with the best QB available, and Titans go Newton if he's still there. I have Dareus at 1 and Peterson at 2.
Von Miller should go soon after, I'm saying before Green anyway.
Well we could probably just get a late 1st and a second I'd think. I doubt we'll be able to get a new QB anyway, just the O-Line/RB should be the focus.

I would argue that Miami relies on the running game a bit too much, but this isn't the year to change that right now. Like you said, get a speedy little back like Jahvid Best prototype and draft an o-line stud in the last first/early second round and then get ready to sort the passing game next year.
Original post by Mann18
If Buffalo go Newton and Arizona don't go QB, I'll be surprised.

I'm thinking Arizona go with the best QB available, and Titans go Newton if he's still there. I have Dareus at 1 and Peterson at 2.
Von Miller should go soon after, I'm saying before Green anyway.

Personally, I have found this years draft much harder to call than last years. Probably due to the fact that free-agency is up in the air.

Top 5 should come from

Marcell Dareus

Cam Newton

Von Miller

Blaine Gabbert

Nick Fairley (possibly #8 to Titans)

Patrick Peterson

AJ Green

Robert Quinn

Basically I just told you the obvious. Imma go away now and look a bit deeper, then break out a 33 pick mock.
Original post by S129439
I would argue that Miami relies on the running game a bit too much, but this isn't the year to change that right now. Like you said, get a speedy little back like Jahvid Best prototype and draft an o-line stud in the last first/early second round and then get ready to sort the passing game next year.

Oh yeah I agree, we do. Losing Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown to free agency may not help either.
Oh yeah I agree, we do. Losing Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown to free agency may not help either.

Yeah, losing veterans isn't good. They are declining though, so replacing them sometime soon was always an issue.
Reply 1038
Original post by S129439
Personally, I have found this years draft much harder to call than last years. Probably due to the fact that free-agency is up in the air.

Top 5 should come from

Marcell Dareus

Cam Newton

Von Miller

Blaine Gabbert

Nick Fairley (possibly #8 to Titans)

Patrick Peterson

AJ Green

Robert Quinn

Basically I just told you the obvious. Imma go away now and look a bit deeper, then break out a 33 pick mock.

Not the obvious, some drafts don't have Newton in the top 10 (he should be though.)
Reply 1039
Really hope the Falcons go for a defensive end, some of the mock drafts seem to think they should pick an offensive tackle :nothing:. I quite like the look of Adrian Clayborn if he's still around.

Latest