The Student Room Group

5k run times

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SixMinuteMile
Oh my god, a girl is as fast as me. I'm going to have to go out tommorow and run really fast. :wink:

Well if thats your motivation :rolleyes:
Although, I am actually thinking about hanging up my running shoes for the time being as much as I don't want to :frown:
RedSilk
Well if thats your motivation :rolleyes:
Although, I am actually thinking about hanging up my running shoes for the time being as much as I don't want to :frown:

That's my only motivation, when I go out for a run I speed up, pass and laugh at any woman who dares overtake me and repeat whenever I see one not too far in the distance. :biggrin:

Why are you stopping?
Reply 42
SixMinuteMile
That's my only motivation, when I go out for a run I speed up, pass and laugh at any woman who dares overtake me and repeat whenever I see one not too far in the distance. :biggrin:

Why are you stopping?

Thats the best type of motivation. :p:
And good question, I don't know why I am honestly considering stopping. I absolutely love running, but I think I pushed myself too hard over the summer and began running too much too often.
I think I might just have a break for a while. I couldn't actually ever imagine my life without running, but I think I've completely burnt myself out.
RedSilk
Thats the best type of motivation. :p:
And good question, I don't know why I am honestly considering stopping. I absolutely love running, but I think I pushed myself too hard over the summer and began running too much too often.
I think I might just have a break for a while. I couldn't actually ever imagine my life without running, but I think I've completely burnt myself out.

What kind of distances/times were you doing? I go on the coolrunning.com forums and all they ever talk about is how not to do too much because you end up burning out. :eek: Maybe a break would be good but don't leave it for too long. I did read something though which said that you'd retain about 80%(or some other very high number such as this) of the fitness you gained from regular running for years even if you did no running due to this period. I don't have a source though so feel free to believe it's rubbish. :biggrin:
Reply 44
i'm also running the great north run at the end of this month, but due to injuries since january i only started running about a week ago (started cycling about a month before that). just wapped out my first 10k since december in 50 minutes and was 23 minutes at 5km. i hope to have had actually run a half marathon in time for the GNR but i doubt i'll have have time to recuperate after it. espeically as i have to travel 12k miles to get there...
I was consistently hitting 22-25 mins for 3.3 mile on an uphill/downhill run. That was after about a few months of training. It doesn't half feel ****ing brilliant to run that far does it?

Couldn't run anywhere near 5 1/2km anymore and it's only been 6 months however haven't trained once properly. Meh.
Reply 46
15.36 pb
Reply 47
I've just started running, about a week ago. I hope to do the great north run next year but there are timed 3k runs in my town every week which I was going to start going to and 5k ones ever now and then so I was planning to do them as stepping stones (if that makes sense). I have no idea what sort of times would be reasonable though so even running on the treadmill I never know whether I should feel pleased of not.

so if I do the 5k run, I think in about 3 weeks, what would be a decent time if I have just started running now?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by boba
I've just started running, about a week ago. I hope to do the great north run next year but there are timed 3k runs in my town every week which I was going to start going to and 5k ones ever now and then so I was planning to do them as stepping stones (if that makes sense). I have no idea what sort of times would be reasonable though so even running on the treadmill I never know whether I should feel pleased of not.

so if I do the 5k run, I think in about 3 weeks, what would be a decent time if I have just started running now?

depends how good you are lol, average first time with some training ,24mins
Original post by WJM
15.36 pb

You did just bump a 4 year old thread when there was a similiar thread posted a few weeks ago...

Original post by WJM
depends how good you are lol, average first time with some training ,24mins

Tbh average first time is more like 27/28 minutes tbh... A novice target should be under 30 mins to begin with then work down to 24 minutes after a while...

*Closes 4 year old bumped thread*

Quick Reply

Latest