The Student Room Group

Shouted at by lecturer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phillipsherman
because of/about what? intriguing...

Pastoral stuff which got very heated and complex. Both times he thought I was being outrageous and declaring war on him :facepalm:
Reply 21
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well in your case, it sounds like you were in the wrong. If you already knew what she was on about, then why didn't you just not go to the lecture? Or do something far more subtle?

If I got bored in lectures or couldn't concentrate, I'd just doodle or play hangman. It still looked like I was writing notes :yes:

In my case, my tutor had to back down because it was about more serious stuff than your case and people senior to him got involved and made him back down. Plus he's got a rep anyway :yes:

The paper was lying there so I thought why not.
Original post by *mk92*
The paper was lying there so I thought why not.

It's quite rude though and not subtle. If you're not gonna pay attention, you could at least be subtle. That's my humble opinion anyway :biggrin:
Reply 23
It's quite rude though and not subtle. If you're not gonna pay attention, you could at least be subtle. That's my humble opinion anyway :biggrin:

I guess so, I just wanted to hear what everyone else would say about this.
Reply 24
Was it the daily mail - that'd get any lecturers back up...

anyway next time, simply stick your chest out and say 'I'm paying 3 1/2 thousand pounds per year for your time so I'll do what I damn well please my good man' - guaranteed win :top:
I haven't been yelled at in person but had two pretty explosive email fights with my tutor, during which he called me lots of names. It was pretty ugly tbh but both times he ended up having to back down :biggrin:

Can we see them? :colondollar:
You got shouted at by a girl, and then you poo'ed your pants and now you're crying about it?

Cool story brah
Of course he's gonna be angry if you read a newspaper in his class! You deserve a good talking to :smile:
Original post by Lewroll
Can we see them? :colondollar:

Gosh no. I never want to open those emails ever again :no:

Rest assured that I got called names, threatened with official disciplinary action and that there were loads of capital letters involved :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by Hamesh
:yes: been shouted during lab with international students gathering around to see my humilation, all for obtaining wrong results repeatedly.

This is at uni btw.

I blagged my way out of it.

Funny times :yy:

What course do you do?
Reply 30
In your case, if you don't feel like you would learn anything, you shouldn't go.

Personally, I've never got shouted at by a lecturer, but I have received some negative attitudes and it really gets to me :frown: Like a few days ago I came in 15 minutes late.It was an extra class the teacher had set up friday night, because she was ill on a previous occasion. We usually have no classes then, I've put my timetable specifically so that I won't have classes at all friday, but I had to go in that day alone for that. The public transport is horrible where I live and my bus didn't show, so I came in late. I'm honestly always on time, and the other students are always late but she gave a look of murder and was mad at me for the rest of the class (didn't focus on my questions etc). That kind of makes me angry, the lecturers at my uni are a bit like primary school teachers, they have such a personal relation to the students.
My lecturer called me a know it all, because he didnt teach us how to do something and i had to find out another way to do it. And so I failed my 2nd piece of coursework. I hope he gets his willy cut off
Reply 32
Original post by SAK.A
What course do you do?

Chemistry. :cool:
Original post by staring.space
Well, what newspaper were you reading?

Could definitely understand the lecturer getting pissed if you were looking at page 3 girls in The Sun. Or just The Sun in general.. *shudder*

shudder at the girls, or the sun?
Sounds a tad immature. Have had the urge to rage at my course leader though when he just put the same demeaning feedback on everyone's essay without actually telling anyone how to improve it. Not to mention the sheet was 2 months late, and he's the one who goes on about punctuality...
Reply 35
Original post by *mk92*
I guess so, I just wanted to hear what everyone else would say about this.

Well clearly we have said that what you did wasn't on.

You're an adult, act like one.
Reply 36
Original post by *mk92*
Have you ever been shouted at by your lecturer and how did you take it? It happened to me and I just packed my things and said Is it ok if I leave and then left, I wasn't going to just sit there and take the s***. It really peed me off, I was only reading a newspaper in the seminar and not listening cos I already knew what the lecturer was on about. Just before I left the lecturer said I'm sorry if I offended you :mad:

don't worry, they'll have no choice to take out the stick up their arse soon enough. :mwuaha:
Reply 37
Yeah got shouted at for having to go outside to take a phone call. I wouldn't normally have my phone on in lectures but it was an extremely important personal call. When I came back in he screamed at me in front of the whole lecture theatre. I apologised and explained why it was important but he continued so I just grabbed my stuff and walked out :frown: .
Reply 38
Original post by Joinedup
Was it the daily mail - that'd get any lecturers back up...

anyway next time, simply stick your chest out and say 'I'm paying 3 1/2 thousand pounds per year for your time so I'll do what I damn well please my good man' - guaranteed win :top:

Haha, I would love to do that. Once I was told off for being in a lecture theatre practising a presentation. We had asked a member of staff and they said it was ok but then this woman came in on her high horse and told us to get out. Not because she had a class in there or anything but because "students cannot be trusted alone." I felt like saying "Love, I'm paying 31/2 thousand pounds a year here, I'll go wherever I like. I own this uni." Too bad I'm a chicken :frown:.
Reply 39
No problem here, just move on. You will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending