The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hazular
Yeah, everyone's been really shocked when I've told them I didn't firm a UCL offer! :P To be honest, I really wanted to go there for like 4/5 years, but when I was invited for interview and whatnot, I just didn't like it. Didn't really connect with the teachers, didn't like the facilities and all that...

Whereas, when I went to UEA, I just fell in love with it. The teachers seemed awesome, the place was really nice and I got proper into my subject taster :biggrin:

I know UCL's better academically but I just think I'd like it more at UEA.

It's very nice to see that you haven't pandered to league tables. And you'll get into less debt. Plus I'd be inclined to say that IR is much broader and opens more doors than Scandanavian studies will.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by dreamofaninsomniac
I'm completely in your boat, I'm thinking of firming UEA instead of York, despite protests from my friends :tongue:

If they'd visited UEA themselves they wouldn't be protesting :wink:
Original post by nathank93
Firmed UEA for English and American Literature, just need the grades!

Don't we all? :tongue: I'm starting to worry about RS... :afraid:
Original post by diamonddust
Don't we all? :tongue: I'm starting to worry about RS... :afraid:

I'm not sure, but I'm getting this aura about you...do you like Glee? A LOT? :P x
Original post by jelly1000

That's what I keep saying but they still really want me to go to York :confused:

Hear hear! :biggrin:
I can't figure out WHAT I exactly loved about UEA when I visited...I just fell in love with everything!
Hear hear! :biggrin:
I can't figure out WHAT I exactly loved about UEA when I visited...I just fell in love with everything!

For me it was the friendlyness of people + cheapness of accomodation that has made me convinced that I've made the right choice. Not to mention the gigs as well.
For me it was the friendlyness of people + cheapness of accomodation that has made me convinced that I've made the right choice. Not to mention the gigs as well.

Are you my long-lost twin? x
I'm not sure, but I'm getting this aura about you...do you like Glee? A LOT? :P x

LMAO! How did you guess? :P Do I still have the Gleek thing in my sig? Or was it Darren Criss that gave it away? Actually, it doesn't matter how you know, it's shameful you can tell! :biggrin:

That's what I keep saying but they still really want me to go to York :confused:

Meh, you have to be happy with your choice. If you feel like you'll be happier at UEA than you would be at York then your friends should respect that. I've been trying to drum it into people's heads that prestige isn't everything, especially as league tables are so variable but alas... people are surprisingly set in their ways! :teehee:
Are you my long-lost twin? x

Haha, that would be funny :tongue:
Meh, you have to be happy with your choice. If you feel like you'll be happier at UEA than you would be at York then your friends should respect that. I've been trying to drum it into people's heads that prestige isn't everything, especially as league tables are so variable but alas... people are surprisingly set in their ways! :teehee:

I KNOW! I know York is "better" but I seriously felt at home at UEA!! Although...I am a little worried about being REALLY posh :colondollar: lot's of people I met seemed to be from around London, Essex etc and I felt really posh :colondollar:
Haha, that would be funny :tongue:

You've literally said why I'm thinking about firming UEA over York. The quality of life is just so much better - I know that sounds like something your mother would say..
You've literally said why I'm thinking about firming UEA over York. The quality of life is just so much better - I know that sounds like something your mother would say..

I wouldn't say thats necessarily a mothers thing to say.
I wouldn't say thats necessarily a mothers thing to say.

Haha. Good point. But you know what I mean? It was so friendly and a lot to do outside your degree :smile:
Haha. Good point. But you know what I mean? It was so friendly and a lot to do outside your degree :smile:

Yeah- I felt like the whole place had the right balance between work & play, unlike Notts Trent where all the reps wanted to talk about where the nights out, they didn't want to talk about their course at all.
LMAO! How did you guess? :P Do I still have the Gleek thing in my sig? Or was it Darren Criss that gave it away? Actually, it doesn't matter how you know, it's shameful you can tell! :biggrin:

I'd say UEA is fairly well known and respected, was in the news the other day for discovering a drug that could help cure skin cancer.
UEA is firmed!!!!! Standard.
I'm completely in your boat, I'm thinking of firming UEA instead of York, despite protests from my friends :tongue:

haha same I've actually made a pros and cons list of both UEA and Bham..although UEA won that, then I couldn't decide whether my lists were fair or not LOL *cant make a decision to save her life* Everyone keeps saying Bham because it's more respected.

Although from a course perspective UEA is definitely better for me personally, as you have to do maths and chemistry classes too, to help you (ew!) whereas with bham I think they assume you have done them or have some AS knowledge. Plus with UEA I could go for a year abroad or in industry. UEA has more a biological approach than bham and their science departments interlink...

Both have brilliant sporting facilities, student lifestyle and are recognised for earth sciences. Have lovely greenery and a lake/river!
I think I've babbled my own answer :tongue:
Original post by makingamemory
haha same I've actually made a pros and cons list of both UEA and Bham..although UEA won that, then I couldn't decide whether my lists were fair or not LOL *cant make a decision to save her life* Everyone keeps saying Bham because it's more respected.

Although from a course perspective UEA is definitely better for me personally, as you have to do maths and chemistry classes too, to help you (ew!) whereas with bham I think they assume you have done them or have some AS knowledge. Plus with UEA I could go for a year abroad or in industry. UEA has more a biological approach than bham and their science departments interlink...

Both have brilliant sporting facilities, student lifestyle and are recognised for earth sciences. Have lovely greenery and a lake/river!

UEA's accomodation is cheaper than Birminghams and most of it is on campus :wink:
Plus the year in industry would be invaluable to get contacts and experience.
Original post by makingamemory

You sound exactly like me...I've just firmed UEA. I decided I'd rather go where I was going to have a better life then reputation because these three years are the only time we can - before you know it, it'll be mortgages and 9-5 jobs *dies*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending