The Student Room Group

The Strong and Weak A Levels

What do you think to my article The Strong and Weak A Levels
Is there anything I have missed?
Thank you
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't consider Psychology a less hard subject? I may be biased, what does everyone else think on that?

Though, good article, I don't agree with all of it but it's well put together etc...
Original post by SPMS
What do you think to my article The Strong and Weak A Levels?
IS there anything I have missed.
Thank you

Seemingly the Russell Group's booklet on this very issue.

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx
Original post by RobertWhite
I don't consider Psychology a less hard subject? I may be biased, what does everyone else think on that?

Though, good article, I don't agree with all of it but it's well put together etc...

Psychology's a doss I'm afraid
Reply 4
Original post by Callum828
Psychology's a doss I'm afraid

You have to write a lot of essays in psychology. wuo.
But in regards to the article, it's not terribly well written. it's too wordy and doesn't really give the reader any information or advice that they don't already know.
Original post by EffKayy
You have to write a lot of essays in psychology. wuo.

Well gee I guess that changes how difficult it is dramatically.
Reply 7
I think it's confusingly-written and hard to follow. Who are you aiming it at? Students at 'good' schools will already have been told this information - it's predominantly state comprehensives, which may not expect as much from their students, whose students need to be given advice like this. Do you not think that it might be more useful as a brief introduction and summary, then bulleted lists giving the topics in 'bands' of respectability? (Quite like the Trinity College website, actually...)

You also have a number of their/there mistakes etc, and it's not always easy to follow in terms of layout. And I don't know what 'There are universities that don't really care for A level subjects at all, this tends to be towards the top universities' is meant to mean. Are you implying that IB is respected over a-levels? Because this is something that the people reading probably won't be able to choose, and by someone really clueless it could be taken to mean that any subjects whatsoever are ok, or that qualifications like Btecs etc are actually valued over a-levels.
Reply 8
But in regards to the article, it's not terribly well written. it's too wordy and doesn't really give the reader any information or advice that they don't already know.

:ditto:

It is also, in my belief, mistaken. I don't think politics is considered to be "soft" or less preferred by the vast majority of institutions. It is not necessary to study politics at A-level in order to study it at university. But this doesn't mean it is less preferred, either.

I skim read it. It just seems to regurgitate the view given by one college, at one university. It also, from what I could tell, doesn't explain exemptions. Although I did only skim read. Whilst art, although not easy, is considered to lack relevance for most subjects, it is of relevance to some courses (e.g. architecture where it can be a requirement - though an increasing number of universities will accept a portfolio instead, I think).

Creating an article like this, although perhaps a noble act, can in my opinion do more damage than good. There are already more reliable sources of information (including the Russell Group report already mentioned).
Reply 9

My friend does psycology and yes she does have to write a lot of essays, but then they just have to memorise them and regurgitate them in an exam. It's a test of memory.

What's with the neg rep, what i said is factual!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Well gee I guess that changes how difficult it is dramatically.

Haha I agree with this. I have to do a lot of art coursework, doesn't make it more academically challenging.
Original post by SPMS
What do you think to my article

It is poorly written with many grammatical and punctuation mistakes and a naive style and is highly derivative. The author demonstrates complete inability to understand when to use initial capitals. It attempts to be authoritative and is highly dogmatic, yet is very subjective, factually wrong in places and fails to convey the complete truth, and even uses terminology (such as "strong" and "respected") that would rarely be used by the universities themselves. The reader would do better to follow TSR.
(edited 13 years ago)
I did biology, chemistry, and computing got A's in all of them.

Computing was hardest by a mile.
Reply 13
The article is badly written and there are some really distracting spelling and grammar mistakes. Your general point is okay but you are too wordy/waffly. I would suggest you proof read it and cut the word count!

By the way, what is "Critical Studies"? Do you mean Critical Thinking or is this something different?
Reply 14
Original post by Rachel08
My friend does psycology and yes she does have to write a lot of essays, but then they just have to memorise them and regurgitate them in an exam. It's a test of memory.

What's with the neg rep, what i said is factual!!

..just like most other a level subjects pretty much then?
Reply 15
Original post by Shelly_x
..just like most other a level subjects pretty much then?

No, they actually memorise the essays word for word. In other A levels you memorise subject knowledge and apply and analyse it to answer the question. I don't know, maybe it's just my friend's exam board that's odd :s-smilie:
Reply 16
No, they actually memorise the essays word for word. In other A levels you memorise subject knowledge and apply and analyse it to answer the question. I don't know, maybe it's just my friend's exam board that's odd :s-smilie:

I honestly do not see that happen, any question can come up and you need to approach it from different angles each time. I learn all my stuff and then when I answer an essay it's individual.

I do not understand how memorizing an essay works... it's extremely poor technique if it does work and will not prepare you for degree level.
Reply 17
I honestly do not see that happen, any question can come up and you need to approach it from different angles each time. I learn all my stuff and then when I answer an essay it's individual.

I do not understand how memorizing an essay works... it's extremely poor technique if it does work and will not prepare you for degree level.

It's probs just my friends exam board then, sorry for not being clearer:s-smilie:
It's weird, they get a list of questions at the start of the year to do and in the exam it will be a few out of that list. Your exam board sounds much better:smile:
Reply 18
It's probs just my friends exam board then, sorry for not being clearer:s-smilie:
It's weird, they get a list of questions at the start of the year to do and in the exam it will be a few out of that list. Your exam board sounds much better:smile:

Do you have any idea which exam board she's with? That sounds too easy :eek:
Reply 19
Do you have any idea which exam board she's with? That sounds too easy :eek:

I know, and she has photographic memory :eek: I think it's WJEC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending