The Student Room Group

Top(30) universities to study law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lionboy
Okay, after much scanning of tsr I have decided to compile what is the best list in terms on rankings between the UK law schools (please note I have not included scots law or those universities, this also includes pull at the bar) please feel free to question my logic but do not suggest any poor universities that you believe are good purely because you are there :l. Also note that this list is purely for law,I am not interested in general rep outside of law. Bear in mind this is still subjective and I have been as impartial as I can be

Do you based your research on information from TSRians?
Reply 21
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Err...why? :erm:

Also, this thread is so ridiculously subjective. And there's a similar (better) thread than this that has been stickied in the Law forum. You can find it here

Oh yeah, and Oxford isn't better than Cam when it comes to Law. :h:

not to mention your comment is too, but I just feel oxfords post grad llb and the postgraduate law courses also help it as a department 'overall' for law...so is better than cam. UCL's work load is insanely intense and is compararable to oxfords workload, some people have argued that people often go to oxford for a 2:2 and lower for a 2:1, yet this is seldom the case in regards to UCL, and since it is arguably the strongest law dep in London the graduate prospects often match those of oxbridge students
Reply 22
NEWCASTLE?

Its supposedly one of the best in the UK for Law.
Reply 23
Original post by street.lovin'
Do you based your research on information from TSRians?

I have based this on many things, I took into account some tsr lists...but and this is a big but :smile: , many of the users take either a dated approach, a preferential approach or become obsessed with factors like 'prestige' which in the 10-20 group sort of fluctuates and so students give less important factors such as when a building was constructed too much importance, hence I have only taken into account what some tsr users have put up
Reply 24
Original post by Jebbyxx
NEWCASTLE?

Its supposedly one of the best in the UK for Law.

yep...thats why its on the top 20:s-smilie:
Reply 25
Original post by lionboy
not to mention your comment is too, but I just feel oxfords post grad llb and the postgraduate law courses also help it as a department 'overall' for law...so is better than cam. UCL's work load is insanely intense and is compararable to oxfords workload, some people have argued that people often go to oxford for a 2:2 and lower for a 2:1, yet this is seldom the case in regards to UCL, and since it is arguably the strongest law dep in London the graduate prospects often match those of oxbridge students

Oxford doesn't offer an LLB to anyone. Cambridge is better for international law at postgrad, and Oxford is better for private law at postgrad. Probably much of a muchness at undergrad--the different exam structure is more a matter of focus/preference than of quality per se. Cambridge undergrads do a few more papers than Oxford students, and Cambridge is one of the few places that offers private international to undergrads.

How many essays do students at UCL write?

Just out of curiosity, which of these unis have you studied or taught at? Any of them? Have you studied law at uni at all?
Reply 26
Original post by lionboy
yep...thats why its on the top 20:s-smilie:

I know, but it should be in the top 5 or top 10 at least. It was ranked 3rd nationally by the Sunday Times University Guide.
Reply 27
yeh sorry they do a BA, UCL's ranking to me is not just work intensity, they have such a widely competitive range of degrees ranging all the way up to an LLB/JD, in hispanic law and many others and their postgrad dep matches this.

Its interesting you use the have you been there argument, considering that would be impossible i have not studied at all of them :l ...I think a more mature approach to questioning someones logic would be needed. You have failed to pick up on the fact that this list is subjective also considering your location I have a tendancy to believe that you have some bias towards cambridge.
Reply 28
Original post by Jebbyxx
I know, but it should be in the top 5 or top 10 at least. It was ranked 3rd nationally by the Sunday Times University Guide.

newcastle is not top ten :l sorry
Reply 29
Original post by lionboy
newcastle is not top ten :l sorry

Is that your own opinion?
I'd have QMUL further up, personally. But there's a huge debate about that. :tongue:
Original post by lionboy
Sussex you would be surprised to know lets in students with far lower thn the asking requirements, not to say this makes it bad, however it is definately not in the league of unis that ask AAB but often get AAA students

I'm just not convinced that matters...Typically, yes, the better a uni, the less lenient they will be with grades but that's certainly not a definite matter, especially with an increase in students not taking the traditional academic route.

A huge number of people on my course achieved higher than the required grades. Most of my course friends have AAB/AAA, on a course which asks for ABB and in fact, when we began only asked for BBB. The department extended by around 80 students this year, in part because they were getting far too many applications and in part because they felt if they raised the requirements any further they wouldn't get enough applications. No matter how many of the students have AAA and so could have realistically applied to anywhere they liked (as we were pre-A* candidates), we're still an ex-poly loitering around the 50ish mark in the league tables for law.

Competition for places and the resulting leniency to grades doesn't automatically make a better course. The problem with law is that almost everywhere of any merit asks for AAB/AAA (or higher now). That means that many unis are asking exactly the same of students and why go for 20th when you can go for 10th?
Reply 32
Original post by lionboy

Original post by jjarvis
Oxford doesn't offer an LLB to anyone. Cambridge is better for international law at postgrad, and Oxford is better for private law at postgrad. Probably much of a muchness at undergrad--the different exam structure is more a matter of focus/preference than of quality per se. Cambridge undergrads do a few more papers than Oxford students, and Cambridge is one of the few places that offers private international to undergrads.

How many essays do students at UCL write?

Just out of curiosity, which of these unis have you studied or taught at? Any of them? Have you studied law at uni at all?

I wonder about this too...I have friends at UCL who freak out over writing one essay a term when I'm churning out at least two a week...while UCL is an excellent university it isn't equal to Oxford or Cambridge in terms of pressure, workload or desirability to employers.

It's pretty obvious that if an employer has a candidate from UCL and one from Oxbridge, with the same grades and similar extra-curricular, they will probably choose Oxbridge. I have also noticed Oxbridge have a LOT more attention from law firms/chambers than other universities (e.g. dinners for each college - so eight of you with the firm rather than a presentation to two hundred). I'm not saying it's necessarily fair but it's the way it is and will remain this way for a long time. Oxbridge only has prestige because of the excellence of the teaching and you'll find the only people who criticise it have not studied there.

Also, the quality of graduate teaching is generally irrelevant to most law firms/chambers as you will often find that post-grad study in law can make you look less dedicated to the profession and by no means places you above other candidates. It is always described as a 'bonus' but only considered after you have ticked the boxes of all other criteria.
Original post by cros

Also, the quality of graduate teaching is generally irrelevant to most law firms/chambers as you will often find that post-grad study in law can make you look less dedicated to the profession and by no means places you above other candidates. It is always described as a 'bonus' but only considered after you have ticked the boxes of all other criteria.

Mm, I remember speaking to my preferred firm during 2nd year and asking what their opinions were on postgrad, as I was considering a certain course out of pure academic interest. It was made pretty clear it would add little, if anything to my application, certainly wouldn't atone for any other weaknesses and I had to be prepared to justify why I'd put off practice for another year. Eventually opted not to do because I was too worried that it would end up being detrimental to my application!
Original post by jjarvis

Personal opinion:-

Cambridge has the better BA course structure. Currently Oxford has the better faculty.
Reply 35
This thread is going to turn into another bitch fest about where UCL, LSE, Durham or King's should stand in ranks... with the odd post claiming Bristol is amazing lol.
Reply 36
Original post by lionboy

1 Oxford
2 Cambridge
3 UCL

4 LSE
5 KCL
6 Durham
7 Bristol

Absolutely atrocious UCL and KCL trolling.

UCL=LSE
Durham>KCL

I have so much trouble understanding why people think KCL is practically on par with LSE/UCL. But whatever, here's why Durham>KCL:
1. Durham has 545 kids vs. KCL's 1025. The 2x number of students makes landing a top job that much harder.
2. Durham has an avg of 500 UCAS points vs. KCL's 460. 460 makes it more in line with Warwick/Nottingham.
3. Durham ranks signficiantly higher in the RAE.
4. Higher satisfaction rate at Durham.
5. There's almost zero quantitative measurements that would put KCL above Durham. And qualitatively the most popular arguments for KCL>Durham is that KCL is in London--however, this argument has been shot down numerous times on this forum.
Original post by lionboy

Out of curiosity, do you actually study at UCL?

I highly doubt that the workload at UCL is comparable to the workload at Oxford. I doubt that UCL undergrads have to write several essays a week whilst preparing for fortnightly supervisions.

Grad prospects from Oxbridge will never be matched by grad prospects from anywhere else.
Reply 38
no no no this thread is turning out ok, the main debate about top is over the faculty vs the uni....
Reply 39
Original post by adam0311
Absolutely atrocious UCL and KCL trolling.

UCL=LSE
Durham>KCL

I have so much trouble understanding why people think KCL is practically on par with LSE/UCL. But whatever, here's why Durham>KCL:
1. Durham has 545 kids vs. KCL's 1025. The 2x number of students makes landing a top job that much harder.
2. Durham has an avg of 500 UCAS points vs. KCL's 460. 460 makes it more in line with Warwick/Nottingham.
3. Durham ranks signficiantly higher in the RAE.
4. Higher satisfaction rate at Durham.
5. There's almost zero quantitative measurements that would put KCL above Durham. And qualitatively the most popular arguments for KCL>Durham is that KCL is in London--however, this argument has been shot down numerous times on this forum.

uh oh cardinal sin of assuming entry requirements = better uni, KCL shares alot of UoL resources, particularly in Law so debatably a student there has similar resouces to UCL...they also have access to the other UoL courses which are unis in their own right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending