The Student Room Group

Animation course in De montfort? help/advice?

Hey,
Recently I've been interested on pursuing an animation career when I saw De Montfort's animation course how they have strong links to big visual effects companies. However, I'd really love to study in london, but I'm not sure if there is any really good animation course at a uni somewhere in london with good links.

Unis I've looked at for art/creative courses;
Central Saint Martins (university of art london)
Goldsmith
UCL (unfortunately only offers fine art -_-)
De Montfort

My main question is...

Is De montfort a good uni to study animation despite it's uni rank?
Are there other unis with good animation course you would recommend me?
Is Saint Martins or Goldsmith any good for animation?

Ps I'm new here so I'm not sure if this question has been asked >_<
Reply 1
Are you interested in the Game Art or Animation Design course? My daughter has chosen the DMU Animation design course as her firm, and I agree with her decision having visited and studied prospectuses for several (hidden gem if you ask me). There is a very long computer animation discussion thread on TSR, but they only seem to consider the merits of a limited few courses, disregarding any courses without the Skillset badge, rather than taking each course on its merits.
Reply 2
DMU's facilities are effing awesome from what I saw on the open day, lecturers seemed decent too! I didn't apply in the end, but I would certainly recommend it - don't read up so much on uni rankings, seriously :smile:
Reply 3
I'm a DMU student, but not in the Technology faculty. That said, I've been around the Queen's Building and the facilities in there seem amazing! I'd say go for it. :smile:

Here's a Youtube vid of the course as well.
(edited 13 years ago)
The thread I think Bradnom is referring to is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301364 you would be best to ask on this thread as you will get more of a reply

Personally I didnt look at De Montford when considering my choices, as I hadnt heard much about it

The best way to work out what uni course is for you is to look at student showreels, see the level of work they produce as oftern the place with the worst showreels is the worst degree. Also ask lecturers or other students what jobs they have gone on to in the industry, and how soon that was after the degree as you dont want to be a graduate left unemployable

Another university reasonably close to London is hertfordshire, it has a forum at www.3dhit.co.uk which I found really useful when doing my research as you can see what sort of work the students do and theres lecturers on there. However of course its up to you, do your research and most of all visit the places to see if their right for you :smile:

Also download some animation programs, you can get Maya and 3DStudio Max for free as a student and have a go at modelling/animation, it sounds like animation is a recent decision for you make sure its really what you want to do as its quite a competitive industry
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Wonganout
Hey,
Recently I've been interested on pursuing an animation career when I saw De Montfort's animation course how they have strong links to big visual effects companies. However, I'd really love to study in london, but I'm not sure if there is any really good animation course at a uni somewhere in london with good links.

Unis I've looked at for art/creative courses;
Central Saint Martins (university of art london)
Goldsmith
UCL (unfortunately only offers fine art -_-)
De Montfort

My main question is...

Is De montfort a good uni to study animation despite it's uni rank?
Are there other unis with good animation course you would recommend me?
Is Saint Martins or Goldsmith any good for animation?

Ps I'm new here so I'm not sure if this question has been asked >_<

i didnt find dmu animation that good. when i went to there open day a couple of years ago...wasn't impressed....take a look at hertfordshire...there animation is verrry good
Reply 6
I went to the open day last year. It was one of the best animation courses I saw but I felt the uni had a ****ty atmosphere personally. Then I decided to do Graphic Design. Now I want to do Marketing :s-smilie:
Reply 7
DMU has recently made a significant investment in their animation facilities and they are now equal to probably any university in the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by bradnom
Are you interested in the Game Art or Animation Design course? My daughter has chosen the DMU Animation design course as her firm, and I agree with her decision having visited and studied prospectuses for several (hidden gem if you ask me). There is a very long computer animation discussion thread on TSR, but they only seem to consider the merits of a limited few courses, disregarding any courses without the Skillset badge, rather than taking each course on its merits.

I'm mainly interested in animation design course, I wanted to go into the film industry of animation ^_^

Yeah I think I've seen that thread although I kinda feel lost in trying to read through the long thread x_x so I thought I'd start a new one
Reply 9
Original post by ShadowyPrincess
The thread I think Bradnom is referring to is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301364 you would be best to ask on this thread as you will get more of a reply

Personally I didnt look at De Montford when considering my choices, as I hadnt heard much about it

The best way to work out what uni course is for you is to look at student showreels, see the level of work they produce as oftern the place with the worst showreels is the worst degree. Also ask lecturers or other students what jobs they have gone on to in the industry, and how soon that was after the degree as you dont want to be a graduate left unemployable

Another university reasonably close to London is hertfordshire, it has a forum at www.3dhit.co.uk which I found really useful when doing my research as you can see what sort of work the students do and theres lecturers on there. However of course its up to you, do your research and most of all visit the places to see if their right for you :smile:

Also download some animation programs, you can get Maya and 3DStudio Max for free as a student and have a go at modelling/animation, it sounds like animation is a recent decision for you make sure its really what you want to do as its quite a competitive industry

Thanks ^_^
Yeah I've looked at the showreels from hertfordshire and I'm pretty impressed ^_^

Just wondering what uni do/did you go to?
Original post by Wonganout
Thanks ^_^
Yeah I've looked at the showreels from hertfordshire and I'm pretty impressed ^_^

Just wondering what uni do/did you go to?

Going to lol :tongue: not at uni yet, but I know how hard it was when I was choosing this time last year

Hopefully if I get the grades im going to Bouremouth, however as this is looking increasingly unlikely them im going to Hertfordshire

If you post on the thread I put up earlier or on 3Dhit you can get some advice from current students, thats what I did when I was choosing
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest