The Student Room Group

I'm not sure if I'm depressed :S

Hi everyone,

so basically I've been through tough times due I thought to depression.
But the thing is: each time I read the symptoms, there is always one that doesn't fit: Actually in my case it's the opposite.

It's "you prefere to be alone" or any variant of it.

What is happening with me is pretty much the oposite, I fear being alone.
I mean before a few months I was absolutely fine with being alone, but now I try to occupy my mind as much as I can which means that when I have to be alone, ... well it's not great. A bit as if I was scared of being alone and start thinking about stuff and depression etc.

PS. btw, I don't have suicidal thoughts (just in case that's what you may think).

Edit: on this list for example, the bolded one is the only one that really doesn't apply, and some others aren't exactly the case but sometimes they are ...

Do you feel downhearted, blue and sad?
Do you feel worse in the morning?
Do you have crying spells, or feel like it?
Do you have trouble falling asleep, or sleeping through the night?
Is your appetite poor?
Are you losing weight without trying?
Do you feel unattractive and unlovable?
Do you prefer to be alone?
Do you feel fearful?
Are you often tired and irritable?
Is it an effort to do the things you used to do?
Are you restless and unable to keep still?
Do you feel hopeless about the future?
Do you find it difficult to make decisions?
Do you feel less enjoyment from activities that once gave you pleasure?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Where did you get that list from?
Reply 2
If you think that there's a chance that you are, go see your doctor. They're there to help you and if you can identify with most of the list, you would hardly be wasting their time.
Reply 3
Does it matter if you fit all the symptoms? Technically you can't/shouldn't diagnose yourself anyway and having a label doesn't always help. It doesn't matter if you fit a list or not, are you happy, or content, or sad, etc? If not the first or second try and think up ways to change that, if you struggle maybe try a visit to your GP or somebody if you feel its really a problem :smile:
Reply 4
You don't have to meet every criterion for depression to actually have depression, just a number of them. (Some are contradictory - for example, eating too much can be a symptom, as can be eating too little. Obviously you couldn't do both of these :tongue:) It's worth seeing a doctor.
Reply 5
Original post by DragonBoy
Hi everyone,

so basically I've been through taugh times recently and I thought I had depression.
But the thing is: each time I read the symptoms, there is always one that doesn't fit: Actually in my case it's the opposite.

It's "you prefere to be alone" or any variant of it.

What is happening with me is pretty much the oposite, I fear being alone.
I mean before a few months I was absolutely fine with being alone, but now I try to occupy my mind as much as I can which means that when I have to be alone, ... well it's not great. A bit as if I was scared of being alone and start thinking about stuff and depression etc.

PS. btw, I don't have suicidal thoughts (just in case that's what you may think).

Edit: on this list for example, the bolded one is the only one that really doesn't apply, and some others aren't exactly the case but sometimes they are ...

Do you feel downhearted, blue and sad?
Do you feel worse in the morning?
Do you have crying spells, or feel like it?
Do you have trouble falling asleep, or sleeping through the night?
Is your appetite poor?
Are you losing weight without trying?
Do you feel unattractive and unlovable?
Do you prefer to be alone?
Do you feel fearful?
Are you often tired and irritable?
Is it an effort to do the things you used to do?
Are you restless and unable to keep still?
Do you feel hopeless about the future?
Do you find it difficult to make decisions?
Do you feel less enjoyment from activities that once gave you pleasure?

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad:frown:
You don't have to fulfil all the questions, they're just common symptoms; if you have a few of them it may mean you have depression.
I had mild depression a few months ago and wouldn't have fulfilled all those questions, just some. I also actually feared being left on my own; i used to hate it when my family all went out because i'd worry that i'd panic or that my bad thoughts would make me feel awful.

I'd go to the doctor and discuss how you've been feeling. They'll probably ask a lot of questions or give you a questionaire to do and I know it'll be hard but try and be honest, cos that way you've got the best chance of getting help that's suited to you.
If you've had a tough time, it's perfectly natural to have some form of depression, good luck and hope you get it sorted :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Reflexive
Where did you get that list from?

I got it from a website ... Let me see ... this one: http://www.foodforthebrain.org/content.asp?id_Content=1635
(I'm not promoting the website at the slightest, just took the list as an example).
Reply 7
I've just answered yes to nearly all of them, but never thought of myself as being depressed :s-smilie: it depends how long you've been feeling this way, as im sure everyone goes through small depressed phases now and then
sorry to hear you've been feeling down though, if you are feeling lonely I'd see a local councellor to just get all your feelings off your chest, and be around your friends as much as possible! good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lizlaz350
If you think that there's a chance that you are, go see your doctor. They're there to help you and if you can identify with most of the list, you would hardly be wasting their time.

Original post by Tinsley
Does it matter if you fit all the symptoms? Technically you can't/shouldn't diagnose yourself anyway and having a label doesn't always help. It doesn't matter if you fit a list or not, are you happy, or content, or sad, etc? If not the first or second try and think up ways to change that, if you struggle maybe try a visit to your GP or somebody if you feel its really a problem :smile:

Original post by kerily
You don't have to meet every criterion for depression to actually have depression, just a number of them. (Some are contradictory - for example, eating too much can be a symptom, as can be eating too little. Obviously you couldn't do both of these :tongue:) It's worth seeing a doctor.

Thanks for your replies :smile: really appreciated
Reply 9
Original post by Rachel08
Sorry to hear you're feeling bad:frown:
You don't have to fulfil all the questions, they're just common symptoms; if you have a few of them it may mean you have depression.
I had mild depression a few months ago and wouldn't have fulfilled all those questions, just some. I also actually feared being left on my own; i used to hate it when my family all went out because i'd worry that i'd panic or that my bad thoughts would make me feel awful.

I'd go to the doctor and discuss how you've been feeling. They'll probably ask a lot of questions or give you a questionaire to do and I know it'll be hard but try and be honest, cos that way you've got the best chance of getting help that's suited to you.
If you've had a tough time, it's perfectly natural to have some form of depression, good luck and hope you get it sorted :smile:

I don't know why I haven't seen one yet. Maybe I feel that if I keep pretending that I'm absolutely fine I will be ...
Gosh I just want to wake up and be my exact self a few months earlier. I'd do anything for that. I wish the last few months never happened and that I'll open my eyes in the morning and all the last months would just be in that single dream-nightmare and that's it (I think I sometimes secretly dream/hope it's the case).

Well, I guess if someone is reading this, they'll think I'm just pathetic :sad:
Reply 10
Original post by j.emilylala
I've just answered yes to nearly all of them, but never thought of myself as being depressed :s-smilie: it depends how long you've been feeling this way, as im sure everyone goes through small depressed phases now and then
sorry to hear you've been feeling down though, if you are feeling lonely I'd see a local councellor to just get all your feelings off your chest, and be around your friends as much as possible! good luck :smile:

Thx :smile: and I hope you'll be feeling better soon (answering yes to nearly all of them isn't fun) :smile:
I don't think you're pathetic OP and I think the best thing you can do is go and see your GP or a counsellor which might help. It sounds like you've been feeling like this for quite a while now. I hope things get better for you
If your not sure then your not depressed. Depression is obvious in 99% of cases. If you can not know about it then it is hugely unlikely that it's depression.
Reply 13
Original post by DragonBoy
I don't know why I haven't seen one yet. Maybe I feel that if I keep pretending that I'm absolutely fine I will be ...
Gosh I just want to wake up and be my exact self a few months earlier. I'd do anything for that. I wish the last few months never happened and that I'll open my eyes in the morning and all the last months would just be in that single dream-nightmare and that's it (I think I sometimes secretly dream/hope it's the case).

Well, I guess if someone is reading this, they'll think I'm just pathetic :sad:

Not pathetic at all, loads of people will feel this way at some point in their lives, we just don't know about it cos most people hide it. I was the exact same with wishing I could go back to the way I was, I'm still not quite back to that, but I'm no where near as bad as I was at one point.
I really would go and see a doctor, because doing something about the way you are feeling will actually help you feel a little better; you will feel as though you are making progress. It's hard to describe, but it made me feel a little better to know why I was feeling this way and that there were things I could do to help me feel better. :smile:
If you're unsure, you're probably not. Just going through 'bad times' and ****.
GO

TO

YOUR

DOCTOR

Seriously, it will help you.
Reply 16
Original post by S129439
If your not sure then your not depressed. Depression is obvious in 99% of cases. If you can not know about it then it is hugely unlikely that it's depression.

You're talking about severe depression; like where people get suicidal thoughts and the like. For many people, the onset of depression is very gradual so that it cannot be noticed by others. Mild depression is very common, particularly amongst people our age and particularly amongst those who have been through a tough time, which the op said they have. Only a doctor can really say whether or not you have depression.
Reply 17
Haven't read any of this apart from the thread title, so I don't know how relevant this is, as I'm a lazy bastard. This is a very important point, however. Being 'depressed' and suffering from 'depression' are 2 different things. Everybody gets depressed every now and then, whether it be due to a family bereavement, being skint, or in my case supporting a **** football team etc... Depression, however, is a mental illness. It doesn't just come and go, you need to see a doctor and get treatment. This is far more serious than simply being depressed.

The likelihood is that, like most of us, you're a miserable bastard. I'd still go to the doctor though, just incase.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending