The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davey jones

Would any of you be so bothered by her drinking? Is it simply the legal issue? does that make drinking good or right somehow? I see drink as equally as destructive as any drug, and more so than some of the more common ones.

That is the only bit i agree with after all the rubbish you put. Yes i think drink is just as bad as drugs in this situation.

I agree what people do in their own private lives is their own business and realise that people drink/take drugs - nothing against that - that's their choice.

What i find wrong is when someone who is training to be a nurse.... looking after vunerable people goes in on a shift hungover/still drunk / high on drugs and you know this.. you can't just stand by and watch it happen?! when what if they make a serious mistake resulting in someone dying?!
that's what i mean by it's a serious thing !!! If you were in hospital would you seriously want to be looked after by someone with alcohol on their breath/drunk or high on drugs!?! get real... NO.
Original post by dani_88
Do you know what?
I spent most of the weekend thinking it was a stupid idea telling uni anyway...
It is none of my business what this girl gets up to..
I just feel really awkward in my own home with all the drugs and all the people that come round and do drugs and the fact that she's clearly one stop away from addiction town.
I was only ever going to speak to my tutor for advice, not to write a formal complaint or act on it formally... because i don't want to **** over this girls career... she will more than likely do that herself.
If i do then i'm a hypocrite because i've tried drugs myself in the past.
And you're right.. we do all turn up to work with a hangover and things from time to time. I know nurses are no saints.
Mentors HAVE picked up on her and tried to fail her on a few occassions..but uni seem to find ways to pass people that placements don't want passing!!
I just hate being here and was at a loss at what to do. She threatened to knife someone on a night out and that same night tried to punch me before my other flatmate intervened. I shouldn't have to feel soooo damn intimidated in my own home but i do and i can't move because of the contract and i even asked uni if i could move campuses at the end of the academic year and was told no.
I just don't know what to do and hoped the forum and my tutor would have some good advice. :frown:

Do the right thing.
You are just as bad otherwise - and putting your own career at risk too by living in the same house.
I was also intimidated by the girl and she was very violent towards everyone in the house. (feels like we are talking about the same one here!? lol)

You have to get out of there - i had a contract for a year but i found someone else to fill my room - landlord didn't like it at first threatened to take me to court etc.. but i'm so glad i never stayed at put up with it!!!!!
Original post by Holamigo

Holamigo
Do the right thing.
You are just as bad otherwise - and putting your own career at risk too by living in the same house.
I was also intimidated by the girl and she was very violent towards everyone in the house. (feels like we are talking about the same one here!? lol)

You have to get out of there - i had a contract for a year but i found someone else to fill my room - landlord didn't like it at first threatened to take me to court etc.. but i'm so glad i never stayed at put up with it!!!!!

I don't even know where i'd move to to be honest... The ideal scenario would be to move home for my final year because then i could save money as well because of switching to degree.. but uni wont even let me do that.

The whole thing is REALLY getting me down now. I think i need to talk to someone about it before it affects MY work because it's really beginning to affect me. For example..we needed a new set rep and i asked to be it and went up against 2 other people. But i wasn't in uni today as i've had d and v and apparently my flatmates told people in the class not to vote for me because i couldn't even be bothered to turn up to class. Way to ruin my chances :frown: Genuinely been sick today as well and it's the only day i've had off all year! This whole situation is almost (and i really don't want to use this word) bordering on 'bullying' playground behaviour.

If i didn't want to be a nurse so bad... i'd quit. I really would.
Original post by davey jones
The code of conduct you are bound by after registering? The responsibilities you have to do what? act in a moral and proper way towards members of the public that come under your care? has there been a question of the student in question breaching that expectation (not a rhetorical question)?

As a medical student, which isn't too far a cry from nursing,
you have to adhere, as far as the GMC is concerned, to the same level of professionalism as a consultant.
Jesus, even thinking about going into medicine you have to keep a clean sheet, trust me the interviews I had to have over a criminal damage charge i got in year 9, which I only got a reprimand for, and will remain on file basically forever, 4/5 years before I even started uni...
Basically what I'm getting at, is that the code of conduct applies from the beginning, and if this person ever gets a record of even minor recreational drug use, however unlikely it is, they'll have to answer for it for the rest of their career.

It comes down to maintaining the public's trust in the profession at it's least, and safeguarding patients health at its most serious.
Original post by dani_88
I don't even know where i'd move to to be honest... The ideal scenario would be to move home for my final year because then i could save money as well because of switching to degree.. but uni wont even let me do that.

The whole thing is REALLY getting me down now. I think i need to talk to someone about it before it affects MY work because it's really beginning to affect me. For example..we needed a new set rep and i asked to be it and went up against 2 other people. But i wasn't in uni today as i've had d and v and apparently my flatmates told people in the class not to vote for me because i couldn't even be bothered to turn up to class. Way to ruin my chances :frown: Genuinely been sick today as well and it's the only day i've had off all year! This whole situation is almost (and i really don't want to use this word) bordering on 'bullying' playground behaviour.

If i didn't want to be a nurse so bad... i'd quit. I really would.

You need to speak to your university's student support & guidance - they can give you advice and help with accomodation even just to talk to someone!

It does get you really down... i know it isn't an easy thing to do but just think when you actually become a nurse on the wards and you see one of the other nurses neglecting patients would you stand by and say nothing because you are worried about yourself?!? Even when patients could die because of the neglect?

I also felt intimidated/bullied at the time but people get over it and they actually have respect for you that you were brave enough to speak up about it. I'm so glad now i did the right thing, and if you wanted to be the class rep then even more so - it's your duty to do the right thing.
Original post by JordanCarroll

I would never touch drugs in a million years - but I'm the minority!
If we got rid of all medical students who used cannabis or anything else a good quarter of my year would have to leave tomorrow...
Original post by Philosoraptor
If we got rid of all medical students who used cannabis or anything else a good quarter of my year would have to leave tomorrow...

Yeah I know!
Just if they do get caught, and have something stuck on their record, it stays :/

Stay safe, and be discreet!
Original post by Philosoraptor

Seriously?!! Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but I could think of maybe one person in my entire year who I would suspect of smoking weed, and that's it.
Reply 1849
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Seriously?!! Maybe I'm hopelessly naive, but I could think of maybe one person in my entire year who I would suspect of smoking weed, and that's it.
I can think of a few dozen I know use a variety of illegal drugs regularly, I can think of a fair few more I'd suspect and probably hundreds who would have tried a few bits and pieces.

Yah - seriously - I went to a party in second year and literally a room of 25 just in that one room doing cannabis...

You are being naive sadly :frown:

Again I want to repeat - I personally do NOT, but then I'm very good at not breaking the law. :O
Do the right thing.

Ah, do the right thing, so easily said, yet so hard to do.

Is the nursing student actually becing dangerous to patients or colleagues? The right thing is a very difficult to pin down decision. Yes, there is a duty of care somewhere, but how far does this extend? As a student, you are not responsible for patients - however much you think you might be, your acts and omissions are someone else's responsibility.

One way to decide what might be right would be to ask - If everyone did it, would the result still be good? In this case, possibly not. Just as there was a idea a while back to screen all HCPs for C.Diff and tell +ve people to take time off - arguably, this is also right and responsible, the result however would be that somewhere around 1/3 of staff would have to go off duty. Not practical. In this case, drugs - why are we concerned? Genuine question:

- if it is for public impressions - will the public notice that the student takes drugs? If not, then how will this be detrimental to the profession?
- If it is for the students' own health, is telling uni necessarily the first step? College will probably suspend them before getting them treatment, and the suspension is another added strain to a already difficult situation. What support does this student need?
- Is it because it breaks the law? in which case the law is defined by 600 odd people - if it was legal to murder, does it give free liscence to do so?
- If it is because this is drugs, and therfore bad - would you do the same for students taking other drugs - smokers, drinkers etc?

What would you do if a colleague turns up to work hungover? Would you report them to the NMC?

Keep in mind that those report all naughtiness guidelines are made to make the regulating bodies' life easier, and not actually necessarily for direct patient benifit.

Suppose this person does get booted off the course for drug use - perfectly possible; how would you feel about that? What would it have achieved for anyone?

A lot of people keep it quiet because they know that there are some hysterical kids out there who will report them to university at the first ecstasy tablet. I think if people come from a sheltered background the word drugs becomes some sort of evil incubus who will destroy you at the first sniff. Unfortunately for some people it does, but recreational drug use is a fact of life for a surprisingly large number of people and your age range and occupation (student) would land you slap into one of the highest offending groups.

As mentioned the guidance is there to create simple policy that makes life simple for governing bodies to act on criminal convictions of complaints.

And is drinking to excess any different? Are we living in a world without large scale alcoholism?

Could you imagine if every boozy breath or smoke of a joint was reported to the NMC/university/employer/thought police. Its a little 1984 isn't it?

That said, there has been some mention of violence from the offending student, which changes the situation significantly in my eyes.
Christ I go away for a week or two...
Original post by JordanCarroll
As a medical student, which isn't too far a cry from nursing,
you have to adhere, as far as the GMC is concerned, to the same level of professionalism as a consultant.
Jesus, even thinking about going into medicine you have to keep a clean sheet, trust me the interviews I had to have over a criminal damage charge i got in year 9, which I only got a reprimand for, and will remain on file basically forever, 4/5 years before I even started uni...
Basically what I'm getting at, is that the code of conduct applies from the beginning, and if this person ever gets a record of even minor recreational drug use, however unlikely it is, they'll have to answer for it for the rest of their career.

It comes down to maintaining the public's trust in the profession at it's least, and safeguarding patients health at its most serious.

The public trusts the Daily Fail more than they do the profession.

Exhibit 1: - people pitching up with articles about wonerful drugs and treatments that the evil medics are just hiding from us all.
I really do not know what to say on this matter- it's one if those things that once you're in that situation, and whatever decision you make it could always potentially be the wrong one, as I learnt recently the best thing you can do is just to not rush it, think on it and discuss it with senior colleagues who HAVE had to make those decisions in the past- we have to be professional, but we're all learning to be professional. As student nurses were responsible to work within our own skills mix but not accountable.

No one is right here and no one should be put down for the decision or act they make as simply it's certainly not an easy one.
End of discussion. Didn't realise so many people were secretly watching this thread lol

now back to nursing....

Got my assignment for 2nd year and its a care plan eugh not liking it so far!!
End of discussion. Didn't realise so many people were secretly watching this thread lol

now back to nursing....

Got my assignment for 2nd year and its a care plan eugh not liking it so far!!

Lol i know..didn't know so many medics were, feeling very big brother!

Ooo whats it on? I'm spending the day applying for nurse graduate programs in Oz..it's a nice way to spend a dreary saturday afternoon in the uk lol
Original post by Subcutaneous
Lol i know..didn't know so many medics were, feeling very big brother!

Ooo whats it on? I'm spending the day applying for nurse graduate programs in Oz..it's a nice way to spend a dreary saturday afternoon in the uk lol

i know! who thought the medics would be sooo interested in the nurses thread! haha

its got to be about a patient from practice :/ so hopefully my next placement which is in may, will give me some ideas! still not exactly sure what my next placement is it says this:

[64 beded community hospital providing rehabilitaion, assessment & intermediate care for in-patients. Also have outpatient facilities., including physisotherapy, with outreach for older people. Elderly, Rehabilitation, Sub/acute. Specific placement opportunities: Fundamental nursing skills; Holistic Approach; Complex case conferences dealing with complex discharges; Opportunity to work with MDT Special interest – physiotherapy; occupational therapy: Home visits, Some palliative care, Total patient management. ]
Not really sure if it'll be similar to a normal ward or what?! don't know what to expect really!! This will be the placement i've got to do my OSCE on :-/ eeeek!

Ooo and wow about applying for nursing graduate programmes in oz!! that's my dream :smile: I thought they require you to have 1 year experience or is that not the case ? :biggrin: how are you finding 3rd year??
Original post by Subcutaneous
I really do not know what to say on this matter- it's one if those things that once you're in that situation, and whatever decision you make it could always potentially be the wrong one, as I learnt recently the best thing you can do is just to not rush it, think on it and discuss it with senior colleagues who HAVE had to make those decisions in the past- we have to be professional, but we're all learning to be professional. As student nurses were responsible to work within our own skills mix but not accountable.

No one is right here and no one should be put down for the decision or act they make as simply it's certainly not an easy one.

What do you mean by not accountable? Students are accountable for their actions, just not professionally accountable to the NMC.

Latest

Trending

Trending