The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by guitarmike456
Chemist :biggrin: St. Annes :biggrin:

Hey :biggrin:

Original post by Abstractineum

There are quite a few intended Oxford chemists around here. What about we hijack the thread? Ah, we already have :colone:

Haha, I think I may have started that..
I keep getting excited, then reminding myself that I'm not quite out of the woods yet. Goddamn, I do want to be at University already.

St Catz - Human Sciences
Reply 1082
Can't wait for autumn! Do chemists get reading lists? They do have examples of books you could read, but they don't really say "Read this! (or else...)". Maybe that's for the good of all of us, seeing as those books cover pretty much the first three years :tongue:

I suppose you could read Why Chemical Reactions Happen or maybe a basic primer to get you into the swing of things before term but everything's covered from scratch in lectures. You certainly won't be behind at all if you do no work all summer. (I strongly recommend doing no work all summer.)
St John's :biggrin:

There are quite a few intended Oxford chemists around here. What about we hijack the thread? Ah, we already have :colone:

Another Chemist :P

Jesus :biggrin:

Hi Everyone
Original post by OceanFlanker
Jesus :biggrin:

Calm down :p:
St John's :biggrin:

Cool :smile: did you meet someone called Isobel at your interviews? I met her at the UNIQ summer school and she got into St John's too!

(Unless this is Isobel then I look like an idiot for posting this :colondollar:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Salliana23
Cool :smile: did you meet someone called Isobel at your interviews? I met her at the UNIQ summer school and she got into St John's too!

(Unless this is Isobel then I look like an idiot for posting this :colondollar:)

I'm not Isobel :wink:
Probably met, bet she wasn't one of those I spent time with. Will have come December though :smile:

Chemistry was way more competitive this year compared previous years. At St John's they rejected about 25% pre-interview as opposed to ~4%, was that the situation at other colleges too?
Reply 1087
Is this Brookes?
Reply 1088
Sorry guys I just can't keep up with doing the list anymore :frown: Got too much going on at the moment :frown: I hope you don't mind, maybe I will get to do it at some later stage, after all the problems are sorted out.
Original post by BeritV
Sorry guys I just can't keep up with doing the list anymore :frown: Got too much going on at the moment :frown: I hope you don't mind, maybe I will get to do it at some later stage, after all the problems are sorted out.

You've let us down. You've let us all down.

I don't think we can ever forgive you. :hmpf:
Got my reading list again - thankfully the same as last year. I'm 5 down (and that's counting a film), 12 to go and a selection of poems. Better get working.... next up, The Communist Manifesto.

I am dreading Effi Briest ><
I'm not Isobel :wink:
Probably met, bet she wasn't one of those I spent time with. Will have come December though :smile:

Chemistry was way more competitive this year compared previous years. At St John's they rejected about 25% pre-interview as opposed to ~4%, was that the situation at other colleges too?

Good just checking :embarrassed:

I don't know about Univ but I'd heard the same thing about St John's - I didn't realise it was as high as 25%! Not many people at Univ got an interview at a second college (only 8/24) so maybe that's because more people than usual were reallocated to other colleges pre-interview.
Original post by barefootfiona
Got my reading list again - thankfully the same as last year. I'm 5 down (and that's counting a film), 12 to go and a selection of poems. Better get working.... next up, The Communist Manifesto.

Just out of interest, what are the books on your reading list (for German right?) I'm just curious, because I've had German for uhm... since 3rd grade up until now, I'd really like to know whether I've read all the books you have to read :tongue:
Original post by Frankie
No problem :smile: I'm just waiting for my parents to send my evidence, the system is being daft with my mums account so she's doing it by paper
I'm going to be at Christ Church, I cant wait!!! :smile: where are you going to be at?
Yeahh I like that fact, although there are only about 150 medics so its not surprisingly really :P but it means we'll all get to mix even if we're from different colleges :smile:

Ohh I was interviewed at christ church! It's beautiful, and the interviewers were lovely. I'm going to be at Exeter, hopefully. It's teensy i love it :smile: but yeah I'll see you in lectures! i'm a tad worried the workload's going to be horrendous /: but oh well. there is an ice cream bar between exeter and christ church, for the occasional time off :rolleyes:
Reply 1094
Original post by barefootfiona

I want my reading list for His/Eng :frown: I don't want for them to hand me over a list in September saying "Must have read these 100+ books".
Reply 1095
Original post by mcgovernjon
You've let us down. You've let us all down.

I don't think we can ever forgive you. :hmpf:

That's what I was thinking. You guys are mean. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Reply 1096
First off - Congratulations to everybody with an offer :biggrin:
It seems like a lot of people are getting reading lists for October (I know I've already gotten a list of things to learn by October for Classics), so I was wondering if anybody has received anything about Modern Languages (French, in particular) or if anyobdy knows if we're even supposed to get anything?
Thanks for answers!
Reply 1097
Original post by pieceofheaven
Ohh I was interviewed at christ church! It's beautiful, and the interviewers were lovely. I'm going to be at Exeter, hopefully. It's teensy i love it :smile: but yeah I'll see you in lectures! i'm a tad worried the workload's going to be horrendous /: but oh well. there is an ice cream bar between exeter and christ church, for the occasional time off :rolleyes:

Yeah it's absolutely gorgeous I cant believe I got in :biggrin: :biggrin:
Ooooh nice, I don't think I went around Exeter at the open day @S
Dont worry I'm worried about that too, as long as there will be SOME time for relaxing then I won't mind :smile:
Oooooh I adore ice cream lol I'll have to check that out :P We took over the Pizza Hut during interviews :smile:
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Nothing French-related for me yet ...

I haven't had anything through either, though my friend got a reading list for French from Exeter.

It's the same as the online prelims handbook apparently...
Original post by lalaberlin
Just out of interest, what are the books on your reading list (for German right?) I'm just curious, because I've had German for uhm... since 3rd grade up until now, I'd really like to know whether I've read all the books you have to read :tongue:

I'll send you a PM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending