The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Why does everyone diss London Met?

Okay I didn't go to London Met but one of my parents got paid to go there. I'm serious. But anyways why does everyone diss London Met, London Met didn't do anything bad to anyone :angry: I just feel so offended for my mum that everyone says there are bad job opportunities and what not. :confused: I think she's pretty successful?:s-smilie: I'm not going to London Met though and don't plan to.I just felt I needed to let that out.

/rant.

Scroll to see replies

London Met is like saying you got a degree while in jail.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Snobbery, the english love it.
It gives them a sense of superiority. Usually just the nerds on TSR tbh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by I am awesome

lol
Reply 5
Its more TSR. Some on here think that if you don't go to Oxbridge or a top ten uni there is no point in your degree and you should kill yourself.
Reply 6
What's better? A third from Oxbridge or a first from London Met in the same course? I'd rather go to a university where the course gives me the better chance of getting a quality degree, rather than the reputation.
I chose Essex University (ranked in 40s in the Guardian) to study Humanities, over UCL (top ten) to study Classics. I feel that the combination of different modules over doing one sole subject will benefit me. It's entirely up to the individual applicant, IMO. I don't see what the whole snobbery is about tbh.

EDIT: Maybe comparing London Met with Oxbridge is a bit drastic, but I hope you see my point. Probably comparing London Met to other ex-Polytechnics better?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks everyone :biggrin:
Reply 8
I think some people's soul achievement in life is to go to a "good" uni which rather implies the rest of their life has been downhill after graduation.
London Met is in the bottom five universities in the country statistically - that's why. A lot of people on TSR care a lot about rankings, so that's why it gets dissed lol.
'Metropolitan' has bad connotations and therefore universities with it in their name will unfortunately automatically be considered bad for no real reason really. Although London met is the only university that doesn't release stats for the league tables therefore it is deemed as Britains only true bad university.
My school took us there instead of Cambridge for a trip. I have to say, it was the most depressing place I've ever been to and it was far worse than I already expected it to be. The library was horrendous, the only decent thing was the Rocket Bar. All the students looked depressed and unfriendly...They just kept on boasting about their lab and how students from Imperial Uni use it because it's like the best in the UK or something.

I was shocked that my school even considered taking us there.
Original post by Carnivores
Okay I didn't go to London Met but one of my parents got paid to go there. I'm serious. But anyways why does everyone diss London Met, London Met didn't do anything bad to anyone :angry: I just feel so offended for my mum that everyone says there are bad job opportunities and what not. :confused: I think she's pretty successful?:s-smilie: I'm not going to London Met though and don't plan to.I just felt I needed to let that out.

/rant.

It's that ****, they actually pay people to go there. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by im so academic
It's that ****, they actually pay people to go there. :rolleyes:

As you know only too well, some people get paid/sponsored by the company they work for. This is true of all universities, Especially if they are doing professional qualifications (London Met offers a number of these).

I don't want this to become a platform for spam and sillyness. I can't really see this going in any positive direction, and feel that all that can be said has been said, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Can people please contribute constructively, with sensible and informed opinions. Otherwise this thread will need to be closed, I'm afraid,
Reply 14
It's near the very bottom of the league tables, it's not in the nicest area, it's entry requirements are low, it's disorganised and it has a bad repuation.

I went there for an interview with a fairly open mind. It was a shambles. They didn't have enough interviewers and told us we'd have to to return the next day. Enough of us complained and they did manage to interview us, albeit with one interviewer rather than 2. I suppose it was unfortunate that it was not on the main campus. The room we did our exam in was semi-dark because the lights were broken and there was mould on the walls. Why they didn't at least move us to a room with full lighting is beyond me!

I did get an offer but was on edge until I got an offer from a better university and knew I could reject London Met.
Reply 15
Original post by Carnivores

/rant.

Maybe 20 years ago it would have been fine to go London met, as the number of people who went university was low in comparison today, so degrees back then were worht it.
However, today where students aspire to get a degree, London met hasn't exactly performed well, it has done terrible which as a result attracts the less bright students who get D's at A-level and accept Btecs as a result a very small amount students wanna go there and firms look at this university in a bad way its like not having degree once you graduate there.
But your Mum went a long time ago and has years worth of work experience, so she can be successful comapred to others who graduate today.
Original post by Iqbal007
Maybe 20 years ago it would have been fine to go London met, as the number of people who went university was low in comparison today, so degrees back then were worht it.
However, today where students aspire to get a degree, London met hasn't exactly performed well, it has done terrible which as a result attracts the less bright students who get D's at A-level and accept Btecs as a result a very small amount students wanna go there and firms look at this university in a bad way its like not having degree once you graduate there.
But your Mum went a long time ago and has years worth of work experience, so she can be successful comapred to others who graduate today.

Taking BTECs doesn't mean that you're an academic failure.

Oh, and fyi- London Met didn't exist 20 years ago.
Reply 17
Original post by DLJ
What's better? A third from Oxbridge or a first from London Met in the same course? I'd rather go to a university where the course gives me the better chance of getting a quality degree, rather than the reputation.
I chose Essex University (ranked in 40s in the Guardian) to study Humanities, over UCL (top ten) to study Classics. I feel that the combination of different modules over doing one sole subject will benefit me. It's entirely up to the individual applicant, IMO. I don't see what the whole snobbery is about tbh.

EDIT: Maybe comparing London Met with Oxbridge is a bit drastic, but I hope you see my point. Probably comparing London Met to other ex-Polytechnics better?

If you wanted to read Humanities, why apply to UCL Classics? If you thought the combination is better, why apply for the more specific course?
Original post by River85

Original post by River85
As you know only too well, some people get paid/sponsored by the company they work for. This is true of all universities, Especially if they are doing professional qualifications (London Met offers a number of these).

I don't want this to become a platform for spam and sillyness. I can't really see this going in any positive direction, and feel that all that can be said has been said, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Can people please contribute constructively, with sensible and informed opinions. Otherwise this thread will need to be closed, I'm afraid,

I understand that, but the OP implied that her mother was being paid to do a "normal" undergraduate degree, which I for one do not approve of.

(Bursaries/grants do not count).
Original post by I am awesome

Although everyone is right about intellectual snobbery and all that, this comment is hilarious and deserves credit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending