The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway or Southampton for Psychology?

This poll is closed

Royal Holloway or Southampton?

Royal Holloway 65%
Southampton 24%
My vote is bias!12%
Total votes: 17
I'm torn between the two.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my friend goes royal holloway for psych and she absolutly loves it there and says its great for psych!
In terms of departmental prestige, I would say Rhul, but there isn't much difference in them.

What kind of psych are you into?
Reply 3
I'm either looking at Research or Clinical Psychology, either adult or child.
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm either looking at Research or Clinical Psychology, either adult or child.

Research in what fields?
Reply 5
I also had to make this very same decision a few weeks ago! In the end I chose to firm Royal Holloway because of the location (it's nearer home) and the fact that I liked the look of the course outline more. I have Southampton down as my insurance.
Reply 6
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Research in what fields?

I'm undecided on that factor at the moment but it will probably in occupational or child psychology perhaps developmental. I don't want to think too far ahead in that aspect. I forgot to mention as a career I'm also looking at occupational psychology.
Reply 7
Original post by roww
I also had to make this very same decision a few weeks ago! In the end I chose to firm Royal Holloway because of the location (it's nearer home) and the fact that I liked the look of the course outline more. I have Southampton down as my insurance.

Did they both offer AAB?
Reply 8
Did they both offer AAB?

Royal Holloway offered me AAB and Southampton ABBB (I do 4 A-levels)
Reply 9
BuMp
Reply 10

Original post by roww
Royal Holloway offered me AAB and Southampton ABBB (I do 4 A-levels)

In that case, why not firm Holloway and insure Southampton? Anyways, RHUL has the better Psych department... Although Southampton has the better reputation overall and a superior nightlife. Apparently RHUL can get a bit dead, especially on the weekends.
Reply 11
Original post by El_Sid
In that case, why not firm Holloway and insure Southampton? Anyways, RHUL has the better Psych department... Although Southampton has the better reputation overall and a superior nightlife. Apparently RHUL can get a bit dead, especially on the weekends.

That's what's putting me off. I want my university to be more of a 'home' and without that 'life' I don't know how it could be. I've been there once already (going again in a week), and the students say many go home at weekends...
Reply 12
Original post by El_Sid

Yep that's what I did in the end (see previous post).

That's what I've heard as well about the night life. But then I don't really mind about that though since I only really want to go to university to study the course and I don't drink.

That's what's putting me off. I want my university to be more of a 'home' and without that 'life' I don't know how it could be. I've been there once already (going again in a week), and the students say many go home at weekends...

Are you going to the RHUL psychology easter applicant open day by any chance? :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by roww
Are you going to the RHUL psychology easter applicant open day by any chance? :biggrin:

Haha, yes I am!
Reply 14
Haha, yes I am!

Snap, so am I! I'll keep an eye out for anyone called Robert :tongue:

Also, you should make a decision asap since RHUL opened up their application for accommodation about a week ago and it's first come first served... so yeah just saying :/
Reply 15
Original post by roww

Also, you should make a decision asap since RHUL opened up their application for accommodation about a week ago and it's first come first served... so yeah just saying :/

I thought generally it wasn't on a first come first served basis? :eek: What's your name?
Original post by roww

Have you applied for your accommodation?
Reply 17
I thought generally it wasn't on a first come first served basis? :eek: What's your name?

Yeah it is from what the housing application page is saying. People holding unconditionals have first choice as well apparently. My name's Rowena :smile: I'm eurasian so I'll probably be the girl that looks a bit asian but doesn't at the same time so I should be pretty easy to spot lol :biggrin:

Original post by ibysaiyan
Have you applied for your accommodation?

Yep, applied for it two days after they started accepting applications. Got Reid hall down as my first choice - nearer to my department and also with the room type that I want. :cool: Fingers crossed I get it since it really is perfect for everything I want. I also think I saw you on the other RHUL accommodation thread a few days ago - you're one of the people that don't drink right?
Reply 18
if your not a party animal then RH would be ok as there is still pubs etc, but not wild party nights. my sis goes there and 3 of her housemates are doing psyc. they go cinema in staines, eat out, and if you do want clubs then london or windsor is only a train away
Reply 19
Original post by lorrabell
if your not a party animal then RH would be ok as there is still pubs etc, but not wild party nights. my sis goes there and 3 of her housemates are doing psyc. they go cinema in staines, eat out, and if you do want clubs then london or windsor is only a train away

I said on another post I want my university to be like a second home to me. So I want there to be a life at the university all week etc... I'm not party animal in the slightest but I like a sense of 'vibrancy'.

Quick Reply

Latest