The Student Room Group

Has anyone else made any mistakes after passing driving test?

I've been driving for a few months now, but made my first mistake today since driving independently. I was in the wrong lane, and put my indicator on, I looked in my mirrors and saw a car behind, but didn't think they were as close or were going as fast as they were and accidentally cut them up. I feel like crap and can't stop thinking about it. Someone could have gotten hurt and it would have been all my fault. I held my hand up to acknowledge my mistake, and pretty much say "yeah, I'm a total idiot."

Just feel so bad. I've been driving absolutely perfectly since I passed, and this mistake now has me feeling like crap!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really wouldn't worry about it.

Try driving in central London.
Reply 2
Yeah, I thought I could drive.
Reply 3
loads just make sure you learn from them
Reply 4
So you think you wouldn't have got any minors since you passed? Everyone makes mistakes.
Lol I make mistakes all the time, but I know there are much worse drivers on the road than me. Everyone makes them, just have to learn from them.
OP, I did the same, I was on autopilot and went into my "going home from sixth form" lane instead of the lane I needed to be in.
Reply 7
Everybody makes mistakes. Learn from them.
If I am honest I imagine that you have made many more mistakes than just that one. The key to good driving (or indeed success in any field) is to continually self-assess. In the words of Roadcraft:

"Accurately assessing your own performance is central to developing your driving ability, both during and after training...Being honest with yourself about what you did well and not so well is vital if you want to continue to improve."
I have, chill out, everyone does. No one, as a driver, has made no mistakes, after learning.
Everyone makes mistakes :smile: people carve me up on a regular basis and ive accidentally done it on a couple of occasions.. but you dont know the person and youll never met them again in your life! Get ready to make loads of mistakes like this in your life.
Reply 11
Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan
I've been driving for a few months now, but made my first mistake today since driving independently. I was in the wrong lane, and put my indicator on, I looked in my mirrors and saw a car behind, but didn't think they were as close or were going as fast as they were and accidentally cut them up. I feel like crap and can't stop thinking about it. Someone could have gotten hurt and it would have been all my fault. I held my hand up to acknowledge my mistake, and pretty much say "yeah, I'm a total idiot."

Just feel so bad. I've been driving absolutely perfectly since I passed, and this mistake now has me feeling like crap!

I wouldn't worry about it. I've been driving the past few months and have made a fair few mistakes. As has been mentioned above, every driver makes mistakes, even the most experienced drivers will make the odd mistake. Just look back on your mistakes and see what you could do is a situation in future like that. That's what I've done, just looked at what I've done wrong and assessed how I could prevent this from happening in future.

Driving is a constant learning streak, whether you've been driving for 3 months, or 30 years, there will always be different kinds of road situations that you'll come across. Just remember that everyone makes mistakes, we've just got to learn from them and move on.
Reply 12
Exactly what others have said - everybody, and that means EVERYBODY makes mistakes when they're driving. I think I'm pretty good, but every now and then I do something and then think to myself 'wow, that was stupid'. In my opinion, it's noticing your mistakes that makes you a more competent driver.
Original post by Charlski
Exactly what others have said - everybody, and that means EVERYBODY makes mistakes when they're driving. I think I'm pretty good, but every now and then I do something and then think to myself 'wow, that was stupid'. In my opinion, it's noticing your mistakes that makes you a more competent driver.

Yes, even I make mistakes :tongue:

Any driver who says they don't is either lying or is completely unaware of the carnage they have left behind... :wink:
I have stalled twice at lights, cut about 6 people up, hit the kerb every time I leave my road and I everytime I go back to my car I feel embarassed getting into the most awkwardly and awfully parked car in the car park!

I think it takes time to gain the experience not to make mistakes, don't worry about it too much!
Everyone, even those who have been driving for ages make mistakes sometimes. You will be fine. Everyone learns from their mistakes.
Reply 16
Want to hear about mistakes?! Try crashing into the back of a wagon. That's what I did to my mum's car- needs a £450 new bumper now. Think about how bad I felt after that!!!! No ones perfect, the more you drive and do silly little things (and see other drivers doing equally silly things) you'll realise it's normal and get over it quicker :smile: no worries :smile:
Reply 17
my goodness so many! I've stalled, hit the kerb when attempting to park, cut someone up, thought I could fit out of a gap when I couldn't in a car park and ended up needing help from another driver who's car I nearly hit... I passed just over 4 months ago :s-smilie:

as long as you learn from them, it's okay!
Reply 18
Driving instructors mostly teach people how to pass a driving test. Not how to actually 'drive'.

See your nice shiny pink license as an excuse to actually really start learning to drive properly. Part of that is making mistakes and learning from them!
Reply 19
absolutally no one drives perfectly. even someone with many years of experience.
you will make mistakes, you'll probably have an accident or two. maybe not your fault, but maybe so. so don't stress about pulling infront of someone who was probably going too fast in the first place. slowed them down at least. lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending