The Student Room Group

I've no idea what I want to do in life- help!!!

I'm sitting 8 GCSEs this summer and have already achieved 4 GCSEs which I sat last year,3 of which I achieved A*s and one was an A :biggrin:. My other GCSEs will similarly average an A.

I have been accepted at two colleges and two sixth forms to study: Law,Sociology, English Language & Literature and Physcology. Are these weak or strong A-levels?

Anywhere, contrary to what the title of this thread suggests, I do know what I want to do in life. I want to be a novelist but can't write or rather, I can write like any A-grade 16 year old, only with no particular special talent. My mum would feel absolutely betrayed if I studed Literature or English Language, she sees writing as an unsafe career option and would see me be a lawyer like herself or perhaps going into medicine or finance.

What I'm getting at is whether, jugdging from my A-level choices, I SHOULD go into law or write. My mother is right though, isn't she? If I become a writer I run the risk of having little to live upon if i can't publish unless I become a teacher or something....

P.s- If you think I should just go to Connexions then don't bother replying to the thread and if this thread is in the wrong place then I apologise. But if you have any advice for me, pls, feel free to post them. Sorry if the post was too long and thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
First of all, it's not about your mum! It's about you. Do what you want to do.

Your mother is right in that writing is very hard and competitive to get into, but if it's what you love, do it. Law is boring if you have no interest.

I'm going to do Law, but that's because I love it, not because my parents pushed me into it - in fact, they're trying to do the contrary!

With regards to strength of your subjects:

Both English Lit and Lang are strong

Law is considered a weak subject by SOME uni's as is psychology.

No idea about sociology, sorry! It's not up there with maths/english/science, I know that for sure.
Sorry if that's no help but all i can say is, don't try and please your rents :smile:
Law is generally not considered a 'good' a level, i don't know why, it's just what i hear, it's not about what your mum wants, and english degree is widely accredited and can lead to many career paths as the skills you develop are very transferable, it is a very 'safe' (to use your mums choice of word) degree to do
Reply 3
Original post by Kaskade
Sorry if that's no help but all i can say is, don't try and please your rents :smile:

Thanks for your light reply:smile: but it's only natural I should worry about rent :frown: after all I don't want to be still living with mummy aged 40 :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Sebastian
Thanks for your light reply:smile: but it's only natural I should worry about rent :frown: after all I don't want to be still living with mummy aged 40 :biggrin:

I think he means pleasing your parents :rolleyes:
Reply 5

I'm sitting 8 GCSEs this summer and have already achieved 4 GCSEs which I sat last year,3 of which I achieved A*s and one was an A :biggrin:. My other GCSEs will similarly average an A.

I have been accepted at two colleges and two sixth forms to study: Law,Sociology, English Language & Literature and Physcology. Are these weak or strong A-levels?

Anywhere, contrary to what the title of this thread suggests, I do know what I want to do in life. I want to be a novelist but can't write or rather, I can write like any A-grade 16 year old, only with no particular special talent. My mum would feel absolutely betrayed if I studed Literature or English Language, she sees writing as an unsafe career option and would see me be a lawyer like herself or perhaps going into medicine or finance.

What I'm getting at is whether, jugdging from my A-level choices, I SHOULD go into law or write. My mother is right though, isn't she? If I become a writer I run the risk of having little to live upon if i can't publish unless I become a teacher or something....

P.s- If you think I should just go to Connexions then don't bother replying to the thread and if this thread is in the wrong place then I apologise. But if you have any advice for me, pls, feel free to post them. Sorry if the post was too long and thanks in advance :smile:

Honest answer? They're pretty weak (depending on where you're aiming for)

You want to drop Sociology for something like History; Law for either Geography or a language, straight english lit instead of combined with lang and then keep Psychology I suppose

If you want to be a novelist but want the option of something like law, do english literature at university and then do a law conversion course. Problem solved.
Psychology and law are considered weak by some universities, and sociology is by many, though English Lit is awesome and considered highly (I am not sure about English Lit and Lang, but I get the impression it is similarly regarded). I think you should always study what you have a passion in, rather than what your mom wants you to study - so go for English at uni! You could always do a Law conversion if you change your mind (I think)? But, like the poster above said, if you have the opportunity to change your options, I'd definitley consider changing Sociology for a humanity, like History. History is really interesting, compliments English Lit really well and is far better regarded. You could change Law (if possible) to another humanity like Geography, or a language, but if you are really interested in it, then of course, study it! I would advise you to keep your options open, but go for what you really love (English). Studying English at uni leaves you with so many options, other than being a novelist - you could even enter another aspect of writing, like journalism... what I would advise you to do if you want to become a better writer and if you want to study English Lit at uni is to read as much as you can, outside of the English Lit and Lang syllabus.
Reply 7
You know what, your replies have made me think I should have asked this question ages ago. I will definately chose to study English Lit on its own now,drop physcology for history, do Law and sociology. I can't drop sociology because of my allegiance to a teacher, plus I'm pretty good at it at GCSE and I can't drop Law similarly because of my allegiance to mummy.

What do you think of the new subject choice. Are they still pretty weak?
Reply 8

Yeah of course, I worry what my parents think! But try to remember it's your future and you don't want to be unhappy doing something your mum wants you to do...

It's much better to do what you wanna do and perhaps not be a successful/ earn less. :smile:
Reply 9
You know what, your replies have made me think I should have asked this question ages ago. I will definately chose to study English Lit on its own now,drop physcology for history, do Law and sociology. I can't drop sociology because of my allegiance to a teacher, plus I'm pretty good at it at GCSE and I can't drop Law similarly because of my allegiance to mummy.

What do you think of the new subject choice. Are they still pretty weak?

Allegiance to a teacher and mummy? Oh god...
I will just ignore that and skip to the bit I can answer without biting my head off :smile:

History: Excellent subject choice, skills you learn will be BRILLIANT for writing and it's right up there with the sciences/english.

English Lit: BOOOOOOOM, brilliant choice :biggrin:

Law: Do it if you're interested, but not brilliant choice

Sociology: As some people said, it's not great but as far as I know it's not as weak as something like media studies or drama.

Otherwise they're fiiiiiine choices :biggrin:
Reply 10
Oh lol. :biggrin: Yeah that was what I meant...
Reply 11
Original post by Kaskade
Oh lol. :biggrin: Yeah that was what I meant...

How funny:biggrin:. I thought you meant rent but if you mean mummy what she thinks of me has always mattered- I can't help it, we're that close
Anywhere, thanks for the post before this one, it's a bit reassuring:smile:
Reply 12
I'm sure your mum wouldn't insist on Law A-Level if she knew that it is not a well-respected subject and not at all required or preferred for a Law degree.

That said, take it if you really want. With History and Literature you have two strong subjects.
Reply 13
PS. There are lots of lawyers-turned-writers, for some reason.

Your mum is right. Unless you become a bestselling author you will not be able to make a living out of writing. (Unless you mean journalism but that's pretty hard to break into as well.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I don't think you necessarily need a degree to be a novelist. You could be a lawyer for a while until you manage to publish your first successful book (or a journalist) and then quit your job -that's how most writers do it, they have another job on the side. :smile: best of luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
What's wrong with being a teacher?
I would think that doing English, History, Law and Sociology would be fine to get into English at uni, especially if you keep both English and History at A2.

Quick Reply

Latest