The Student Room Group

How are GCSE's used?

Do universities use the number of A*s, or the percentage of A*s?

This is absolutely vital for me, because I have 8 A*s, but my percentage of A*s is only 60% because I took some extras. If they look at the number of A*s I have they will be fairly impressed, but my A* percentage is quite bad.

I want to do medicine or dentistry, and I was pretty upset When I found out that Oxbridge use the percentage of A*s to determine who gets an interview.
bump.
Reply 2
Oxford use percentage WITH BMAT scores, most others use numbers. Cambridge are more into high UMS at A level.
Reply 3
I'm Considering taking dentistry as a career however some of the universities that I would like to go to require AA in dual award science. I got 3a* 4A 3B but I got an AB in dual award science, is there any chance they won't care so much if everything else is good? I am currently studying biology chemistry maths and religious studies at AS-level
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ????????8
I'm Considering taking dentistry as a career however some of the universities that I would like to go to require AA in dual award science. I got 3a* 4A 3B but I got an AB in dual award science, is there any chance they won't care so much if everything else is good? I am currently studying biology chemistry maths and religious studies at AS-level

A requirement is a requirement I'm afraid, you could retake, most unis allow GCSE retakes.
Original post by ????????8

It is not unknown for such requirements to be disregarded, but presumably your application would need to be otherwise exceptional and given the competitiveness of the course you may want to consider how much you want to leave to chance as a vast majority of people will comfortably satisfy all requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending