The Student Room Group

What did you get for packed lunch?

Let's get nostalgic to school days :biggrin:

Were you the kid who everyone was jealous of - crisps, a chocolate bar, AND a Fruit Winder?

Were you the kid with super healthy parents - wholemeal bread, fruit and carrot sticks?

Were you the kid who always had something exotic-looking?

I always had the following:

A sandwich (usually cheese and marmite):

A piece of fruit:

EITHER crisps OR a chocolate bar:
Or

And a bottle of squash (frozen on a hot day):

My lunchbox was normally pretty plain, either a Tupperware box or (M&S used to do these) a mini coolbag.

The most exciting thing was that on the day of an exam, or a violin recital in assembly, or my birthday, my dad would put loads of little post-it notes in my lunchbox with funny little remarks or puns on them. It made lunchtime a mystery :holmes:

Scroll to see replies

I had no way of knowing what I would find, my mum would stick anything in my lunchbox. when we were in need of a tesco shop I ended up with cheerios in a pot!! Haha. But I had a ham sandwich everyday without fail :cool:
Reply 2
I always remember as a kid. The 1st week of the month it would be a nice sandwich in a nice roll with the thick chicken and salad, with a packet of crisps, a nice green fresh apple and a ccalypso drink. The last few days of the month, it would be a sandwich with normal bread, sometimes the heal of it, wrapped up in the bread bag - because there was no more sandwich bags, and an apple that had started to go bad, with a few other things. I would also find a post it note with a message from my mum a lot of the time. As soon as I went up to secondary school, I refused to have packed lunch for that exact reason.

Oh the memories...
(edited 13 years ago)
Ham or Marmite sandwich, crisps, some kind of chocolate biscuit bar, a yoghurt and some kind of random other form of savoury food, normally like chicken satays etc.

I was a really fussy eater so basically anything I would actually eat.
I was fussy and couldn't have the same thing (like same sandwich filling) two days in a row or I'd get bored and go off it!

My earliest memory of primary school lunches was in reception and having one of those big square lunch boxes with the handle in blue with a duck on it. Jam sandwiches, quavers and a ski yoghurt. 15 years later I hate jam sandwiches, most crisps and most yoghurts. Strange. :P

By end of primary school I had lunch bags with various disney characters on it and I had ham or cheese sandwiches, fruit, crisps, chocolate mousses (disney of course) which I liked to beat the air out of or rarely a big treat like a doughnut or a gingerbread man!

Start of secondary school was chicken sandwiches, crisps, fruit and something sweet. Started going to the canteen sometimes for a cooked dinner (burgers, pizza), or a chicken tikka baguette and fizzy drinks and the homemade canteen cakes. OMG so good.

Then by year 10/11 the health kick started. Wholemeal bread chicken salad sandwiches or pasta salads. More fruit, less crisps and chocolatey stuff. Water.

Sixth form was a combination of year 11 lunches and trips to tesco express when I couldn't be bothered to make lunch...and still the odd trip to the canteen for a gorgeous millionare's shortbread.

(Went through all the phases as things came out at primary school too such as cheesestrings, lunchables, frubes etc.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Ham or chicken sandwich, crisps and yoghurt. I still take a packed lunch to sixth form now because I'm poor. :biggrin:
On a normal day it would be salad with salad dressing in a film canister, tuna or ham sandwich on whole wheat bread, a slice of cake- and my mother usually considered banana bread to be cake *sigh*- , vanilla yogurt (the only flavour I would eat) and an apple or pear. My mother is a chef so kids sometimes made fun of me for brining unusual things for lunch, like some salmon sandwiches. I was a very strange child.
Reply 7
Pretty much what people have already posted. On my birthday I used to request a 'Dairylee Lunchable' or however they were spelt. My mum didn't approve of them (quite rightly so, but as an 8 year old I didn't appreciate the fat and salt levels of them etc) but let me have one just that one day.
Reply 8
My mum was a single parent struggling with three kids, studying for a Law degree so I got a sandwich, drink, tesco crisps, apple, penguin bar.

I used to be insanely jealous of the kids with the Walkers, cheese-strings and Frubes, but now I realise she did the best she could for us :h:
Reply 9
A cheese and tomato sandwich (favourite), penguin or choco gems and a milkshake :tongue: and i still have packed lunches! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by SoapyDish

And a bottle of squash (frozen on a hot day):

My mum did the whole frozen drink thing! :biggrin:

I remember thinking that she'd invented it. Oh how she fooled me. :lol:
I can't remember that far back.

I usually ate a the school cafeteria, or went to the shop across the road at lunch.
Usually a damp jam sandwich, a penguin and a small yoghurt... :frown:

Can still remember how gutted I used to feel when the yoghurt leaked and defiled by beloved lime green lunchbox.
Reply 13
Original post by aliluvschoc
My mum was a single parent struggling with three kids, studying for a Law degree so I got a sandwich, drink, tesco crisps, apple, penguin bar.

I used to be insanely jealous of the kids with the Walkers, cheese-strings and Frubes, but now I realise she did the best she could for us :h:

For some reason, I found that very heart warming. Maybe because it reminded me of my packed lunch (which I posted above).

:smile:
Jam sandwich!!!
peanut butter sandwich :drool:
prawn cocktail crisp
ribena

and no not a chocolate bar an apple/banana :colonhash:

still have the same packed lunch though years later :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by Tyler.
For some reason, I found that very heart warming. Maybe because it reminded me of my packed lunch (which I posted above).

:smile:

I feel terrible that I would whine about things like that. Though if she could afford it we'd get a treat like a sponge cake or something. And then I'd just get annoyed when they ran out. It's kind of embarrassing thinking about how important having a cake was... I'm sure she felt bad that she couldn't give us 'better'.

Though once she gave me a pokemon lunchbox out of the blue and I was the coolest kid in town.

:moon:
Reply 17
Oh god the frozen drink, I'd forgotten about them.

I went through phases, for ages I only liked egg mayo sandwiches, then tuna and if my parents were ulta lazy the night before they'd do ham or jam. Normally I had some cheap crisps and an orange. If I was lucky I'd have a frube or a cheesestring. I hated bananas though and left them there if I opened my lunchbox to find one.

I was pretty jealous of my friend who got really nice yogurts and proper chicken mayo sandwiches. But no one could get away with a bag of wotsits, if you had a bag half your friends would be like "Oh please, please may I have one."

I was pretty cool as a child. I had a blue plastic powerpuff girls lunchbox :smug:
Reply 18
Original post by aliluvschoc
I feel terrible that I would whine about things like that. Though if she could afford it we'd get a treat like a sponge cake or something. And then I'd just get annoyed when they ran out. It's kind of embarrassing thinking about how important having a cake was... I'm sure she felt bad that she couldn't give us 'better'.

Though once she gave me a pokemon lunchbox out of the blue and I was the coolest kid in town.

:moon:

Haha that's sweet. I remember just having a tesco bag most of the time as I used to use my school bag as a goal post and the lunch box would break. So my sandwiches would be very flat a lot of the time, but strangely I loved them like that. It's not uncommon for me to make a sandwich and flatten it down, even to this day.
Reply 19
I'd usually get school dinners, but if I have a packed lunch, it was usually a really simple sandwich on plain loaf (that's this stuff, best bread ever):

filled with some (irritatingly thick cut) cheese or some infuriating turkey ham that my mum would always buy for no reason (probably as it was cheap).

This would be accompanied by a carton of Um Bongo, Kia Ora, or one of those little cartons of milk, a bag of Salt n' Shake/PROPER Quavers/Potato Puffs, and either a banana or if I was lucky, a Trio/5-4-3-2-1 Bar/Taxi/Gold Bar.

Quick Reply

Latest