The Student Room Group

Online forums to require facebook log in

Interesting article in this week's Economist on how online forums are using Facebook as a tool to clamp down on trolling.

http://www.economist.com/node/18483765?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/ar/trollingforyoursoul

The basic gist of it is that websites with comments forums are looking to Facebook to outsource their comments forums, ie no more logging in under a fake identity, you have to use your facebook login so people know your true identity meaning people are less likely to want to troll.

Also its an advertising thing because when you post on a web forum your mates can see it in their news feed so they visit it.

I wonder if this will be the ultimate destination for TSR in its battle against trolls. Would you be happy if all your mates saw on their facebook news feed when you'd posted on Health & Relationships about how you can't get a girlfriend because you're only 5ft 9, or employers googling your name and reading the time when you trolled the Durham Uni forum for them being Oxbridge rejects who will end up on the dole lol.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You do know that you can create a "fake" Facebook account, right?
Reply 2
I just wouldn't use TSR. TSR is pointless without anonymity, and so is the internet.
Reply 3
Stupid idea
That's an awful idea, I'd never ever ever mix forums with facebook. Ever.
I just wouldn't use those forum tbh, a degree of anonymity would be nice
Reply 6
Really hope TSR never do this. Completely out of sync with the site. And tbh, trolls are usually pretty funny (in a lame way) and anything harmful is dealt with.
Reply 7
Whoever thought of such idea...

I would probably stop using those forums.
Or just make another facebook purely for forums tbhs.
Reply 9
If you create a fake profile in the name of a celebrity or somebody else well known, it'll get pulled. So, how many John Smiths will there be on TSR if that ever got implemented I wonder? :mmm:
Reply 10
Original post by ussumane
Whoever thought of such idea...

Yeah, I don't want any of you lot knowing what I look like.

Hmm, maybe it's a bit too late for that:tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Psyk
Yeah, I don't want any of you lot knowing what I look like.

Hmm, maybe it's a bit too late for that:tongue:

:rofl:

Our secret will be safe, no one needs to know :ninja:

:lol:
Reply 12
Trolling.

The worlds No.1 problem right now.
Not a member of facebook.
Never will be.
Reply 14
Stupidest idea in history. A lot of forums would lose a lot of members simply because of this.
Reply 15
Original post by G8D
Back to /b/ when that happens.

This again. What is it?
Reply 16
Original post by G8D
Find out yourself.

I don't know why you don't like me. I'm 99% Irish.
Reply 17
It wouldn't stop me, or too many people. Facebook groups aren't exactly troll-free zones, even if they lack anonymity.
Original post by morris743
This again. What is it?

4chan random board.
Reply 19
Original post by G8D
I'm 0% Irish.

Ok, what are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending