The Student Room Group

Cheapest place/price to get a MacBook Air/Pro?

Hey guys,

It's m'birthday soon so I've been exploring ideas, I'm pretty dead set on either a MacBook Air or a Pro (I've spent ages debating Windows/Netbooks etc v. Mac/Apple etc and I know it's probably foolish :P).

But anyway, where do you think is the best place to get either a new MacBook Pro/Air from for a reasonable price?

Also if anyone has any ideas of whether I should get a MacBook Air or Pro then they'd also be welcome :redface:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apple Premium Reseller down Tottenham Court Road.
Reply 2
I got mine from the apple store, using my NUS card, i got a free wireless printer and two years insurance for £20 plus macbook pro, total cost: £690
Reply 3
i'd say apple with the student discount and pros are much better than airs
Reply 4
Original post by Rob9292
I got mine from the apple store, using my NUS card, i got a free wireless printer and two years insurance for £20 plus macbook pro, total cost: £690

Wow, when was that? Sounds massively cheaper than I was expecting haha, I presume I'd get student discount with a normal student card as well?
Reply 5
Original post by Nutini
Wow, when was that? Sounds massively cheaper than I was expecting haha, I presume I'd get student discount with a normal student card as well?

It was in january so it might have been a deal on, but ididnt see any advertising about it,
i dont know about using your normal student card but i have never heard of people having problems with it
Reply 6
If it's going to be your primary computer, buy the Pro. A an accessory computer, the Air wins hands down. But if you're not a power user then you can probably get away with using the Air, it really depends on what you intend to use it for.
apple store with a 14%ish discount.
Reply 8
Aye it'd definitely be a primary so looks like a Pro is the way to go. I never would have thought to go through the Apple Store, thought they were moneygrabbers (not that they aren't) but I never knew the Student Discount was that big either. How much would I be expecting?

Are there usually set in stone student deals with Pro's? Any chance I could do a bit of bartering to get extra warrenty/freebies (like the free printer etc)?
Reply 9
You could probably get it off the pirate bay for free. :wink:

Just kidding kids. Don't steal.:wink:
I have a macbook air, and i'd like to advertise against it! Don't get me wrong, mac's are the best thing to ever happen to computing, but the air's hinges have snapped on me twice, and is generally quite flimsy! However saying that, I took it to the mac store to get fixed, and they had sorted me out by the next morning
Reply 11
My estimate when buying was £700-£1200 it all depends on the specifications you want, depending on the staff the apple store is really helpful and will help your decision
Don't you read youtube comments? the absolutely trustworthy people spamming videos always seem to know the answer to that question.
Original post by Nutini

Original post by Nutini
Hey guys,

It's m'birthday soon so I've been exploring ideas, I'm pretty dead set on either a MacBook Air or a Pro (I've spent ages debating Windows/Netbooks etc v. Mac/Apple etc and I know it's probably foolish :P).

But anyway, where do you think is the best place to get either a new MacBook Pro/Air from for a reasonable price?

Also if anyone has any ideas of whether I should get a MacBook Air or Pro then they'd also be welcome :redface:

Thanks!

Well you could always check the stores for discounts and refurbished equipment. However if you aren't afraid of buying used (or don't mind it) you could definitely look around on forums.

I just picked this Macbook up (black one, great specs) for 560 USD and the minute I saw the thread I jumped in there and bought it within 30 minutes.

The good thing about Macs is, no matter how "old" or used they are, the performance is still top knotch :smile: (Aside from batteries but that's the case with any electronic using lithium).
Definitely buy it from Apple, or a reseller, don't try pick one up 2nd- hand (that's what I did and the person before had faffed around with it, causes me no end of problems!).

With the student discount you get the macbook, 3- year protection plan, and usually something like an ipod.

And go for pro, air's rather slow apparently
Original post by Nutini

Original post by Nutini
Aye it'd definitely be a primary so looks like a Pro is the way to go.

Definitely

I never would have thought to go through the Apple Store, thought they were moneygrabbers (not that they aren't)

They're getting your money anyway regardless of where you buy from.

but I never knew the Student Discount was that big either. How much would I be expecting?

Assuming you get the entry level Pro, either £860 (If you're at university) or £900 (if you're at college, the educational discount is lower for college students). I have no idea how the guy who claims to have got it for under £700 managed that, unless he bought refurb model or had some other discount. That or he's lying

Are there usually set in stone student deals with Pro's?

If you're a student, you can either get 3 years extended warranty for free or fully fledged AppleCare for 75% off, costing £48. No other deals go on all year round, however if you can wait until July/August they start their Back To School promotion, which is a free iPod Touch with every computer they sell (To students, of course) and usually some heavily discounted printers.

Any chance I could do a bit of bartering to get extra warrenty/freebies (like the free printer etc)?

No, Apple staff are not permitted to haggle. They don't work on commission.

Reply 16
Gofre:
I'm not lying believe me i was shocked at how much it was
Original post by Rob9292

Original post by Rob9292
Gofre:
I'm not lying believe me i was shocked at how much it was

Unless the store made a severe error, there's literally no way of getting it that cheap on a student discount (Heck, even a military discount only gets you 25% iirc). Did they email your receipt to you? If so, check what they put as the discount and what the value of it was, cause I'm trying to figure out how you got so lucky =P
Madbid.com

" A Macbook Air - Thirty Seven Pounds! "

I do love the goons they have posing with their obviously stolen goods :biggrin:
Original post by twist.the.illusion

Original post by twist.the.illusion
Madbid.com

" A Macbook Air - Thirty Seven Pounds! "

I do love the goons they have posing with their obviously stolen goods :biggrin:

Actually madbid is a penny auction, where you have to pay to get a fee just to get into the bidding. So while one person may get a MacBook Air for £40, if there's 50 other people who have paid a tenner to bid then the seller gets over £500 [= it's a mug's game really =P

Quick Reply

Latest