The Student Room Group

Disliked because my parents help me financially

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
People won't talk about you behind your back at all, that's just paranoia. Those who did are either jealous or that horrendously strong left wing idealist (who is either jealous or delusioned)
This is weird. I won't even take a student loan next year, my parents are paying for my studies etc. I'll probably find part time job if I feel like I need more, but I dont see how this is an issue. Funny thing, most of ly friends who are at uni in France live on their parents money while studying.. Isnt it common in England ?
Reply 42
Stop hanging out with a bunch of under-achieving Labour supporters.

Nuff' said.
Original post by littlepotatoe
This is weird. I won't even take a student loan next year, my parents are paying for my studies etc. I'll probably find part time job if I feel like I need more, but I dont see how this is an issue. Funny thing, most of ly friends who are at uni in France live on their parents money while studying.. Isnt it common in England ?

It depends...generally students here take the student loans to cover tuition fees and accommodation, and everything else is funded by work or parental contributions. There is no way (short of putting it on the mortgage) that my parents could pay for my degree, and I don't see why they should because it is me that will benefit, not them. I don't really want to speak for 'everyone' though, because I don't know about other users on TSR, only really what me and a few close friends have experienced.

I think one of the problems has also been that especially the last year or two, part-time work has been very hard to come by for students who are now competing with people who can't get full-time hours, and graduates who haven't managed to get graduate jobs etc.
From this post I get the impression you talk too much about your finances, brag about your parents and your car and think everyone wishes they were like you. Tbh I doubt they actually are jealous and I think you just come across annoying...

Btw 55k income between both parents is really not a spectacular amount - it is average or on the low side!
Original post by ElfManiac
It depends...generally students here take the student loans to cover tuition fees and accommodation, and everything else is funded by work or parental contributions. There is no way (short of putting it on the mortgage) that my parents could pay for my degree, and I don't see why they should because it is me that will benefit, not them. I don't really want to speak for 'everyone' though, because I don't know about other users on TSR, only really what me and a few close friends have experienced.

I think one of the problems has also been that especially the last year or two, part-time work has been very hard to come by for students who are now competing with people who can't get full-time hours, and graduates who haven't managed to get graduate jobs etc.

Yeah that sounds about fair. University in France is almost free though, so that might be why.. But it's funny to see the differences, because most people I know get their studies paid by their parents. Ah well...
Reply 46
Original post by Anonymous
So sometimes I feel people will talk about me behind my back because they can help me financially more than others..... parents income was just under£70k before recession, lucky to get much over £55k now.

I've had part time job through first 2 years of HE and I only asked for money when I was stuck, which I paid back. I won't get next 2 years tuition loan now, and my parents will pay it for me, it's necessary but they don't just hand out blank cheques.

But the most ironic thing about ANYONE who I feel contempt from.

They are going to university in the hope that one day they can do the same for their kids.

If you feel ok with it why come on here to justify yourself
Original post by tehFrance
People are jealous because your parents earn £55k (which is pretty average isn't it? unless it is after tax)
Btw 55k income between both parents is really not a spectacular amount - it is average or on the low side!

Data from 2006, but UK GDP is currently a little lower than it was then, so it's probably still more or less valid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Iorek
Stop hanging out with a bunch of under-achieving Labour supporters.

Nuff' said.

That's the idea, they are all going to the local university if they are lucky and going to not do anything worthwhile for another couple of years, whereas I put in the effort and am going to a good university.

I do not judge anyone on what their parents earn, but when they complain about being poor and are passing up every opportunity the free world gives them, that's just ignorant and pathetic.
Original post by jismith1989

Data from 2006, but UK GDP is currently a little lower than it was then, so it's probably still more or less valid.

My mum's household income isn't even shown on that graph (her income alone isn't even on it either :eek:)
Reply 50
My mum's household income isn't even shown on that graph (her income alone isn't even on it either :eek:)

So she earns above 75k?
My parents give me £30,000 a year to live on. I just don't tell anybody lol

All you have to do is keep it yourself.
Original post by chrislpp
So she earns above 75k?

Yeah she does... is there a problem? :redface:
Reply 53
Yeah she does... is there a problem? :redface:

Why would there be?
Reply 54
Dear Anonymous,
This must be a joke, right? No-one minds if you are a Goth/Punk/Rah/ Whatever. No-one cares if your parents earn £0/150K. Earlier in these posts, I mentioned that you may need to grow up a bit. Have you thought of working abroad for the next 4 years, doing voluntary work and seeing how other people live in our world? Uni would be wasted on you - you obviously have everything sorted out and, may I dare say, rather a strange set of priorites? Please keep using the Anonymous; it may give you more protection from the naughty, ugly world.

PS - the advice for 4 years voluntary work- so that I have no chance of coming across a self-centred 'me me me, poor me' individual.

Wtf? You do realise that 55k puts you miles above the average household income? To say its average or even low is plain wrong, and is possibly insulting (average household income is £35k).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 56

It's all relative to background, I too thought the graph had a very low upper limit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending