The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7880
JK.
OP
Yeh, the Bale comment was sarcastic. :colondollar:

Chamakh on a free is a stupid example anyway - he was £18mil the year before with just a year left on his contract. The correlation between league position and transfer spending is very little, between salary spending and league position however, is substantial. There's no point spending silly money on players for the sake of it.
Original post by JK.

Yeah fair enough, Wenger is just pissing me off atm :yy:
Reply 7882
JK.
OP
On the game

Poor, poor performance. Great start, I think it was 80% possession, and that really was some decent possession, for the first 10 mins, looked like a simple matter of time until a breakthrough. Blackburn did well to then break up the play - Olsen's disgusting foul on Sagna stopped the flow of our play, clearly had Sagna shook for the rest of the half and the fact that it went unpunished only encouraged more of the same and in allowing them to constantly kick the ball away after every little foul, Dowd was his normal ****e self. But, that really doesn't excuse the performance/result at all.

Once that opening passage had ended, we just seemed to lose all urgency and belief, the lack of penetration was hugely disappointing. No one put in a performance, Jack was anonymous, RvP barely touched the ball and Cesc looked like he wanted to be somewhere else when he came on. There's a point to be made for the lack of fitness/match fitness for a few players, but it's a small point, that squad should be destroying a team like Blackburn on their current form, even if the added sharpness is missing, it can be made up for with effort, effort that was clearly lacking today. We were never clinical when the chances presented themselves and a lot of players seemed to really lack faith in themselves. When we most needed someone to step up and really sort the side out, nobody took charge.

Cesc being a leader by setting an example is fine when he is setting an example, when it comes down to it, he's injured half the time these days and the rest of the time he just doesn't seem up for it.

Where to go from here

It's really not an over reaction to say that looks to be the end of our season, not that the players should be looking at it that way - we really need to find some confidence to make sure we don't totally crumble away like last season.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if we fail to win the league, Wenger either needs to really sort the squad out or walk. Whilst I still stick by this, I'm edging further towards Wenger needing to go regardless of his summer intentions because if that's the best he can get out of those 11, it's very worrying.

We definitely need to replace the ****e in the squad, but if someone like Tommy can't stay fit, we need to be looking at some players with good experience/leadership qualities, too. The way things are being run atm allows for such a lack of accountability which has a very bad effect when things go tits up like they have over the past 5 weeks.
Reply 7883
1 month today we last won a game.
Failed to win in the last 5 games in all comp
Reply 7884
Also, good news for the fans is that All of our games except wk38 is shown an SS1.
Reply 7885
Original post by T.Adams VI
You said sign 4 worldclass players.

A worldclass player on average cost £25m+. We could probably just about afford one, but that would obviously lead to us blowing our whole budget on one player.

Spurs/Villa don't have worldclass players.

Modric,Van der Vaart and Bale are all world class.
Reply 7886
You forget that Walcott cost £14m. And that was a while ago, which would probably be equivalent to £17m, given transfer prices inflation.

Bent = Bendtner

Bent is English so is obviously going to be overrated. Whereas Bendtner is attracting interest from top scouts like Arneson and huge clubs like Bayern Munich. It's Arsenal system that makes a lot of our players look poor. Bendtner would score quite a lot of goals in a side like Chelsea/Liverpool.

No they are not even in the same class only Rooney has scored more than Bent in the league in the last 5 seasons.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7887
Original post by JK.

Chamakh on a free is a stupid example anyway - he was £18mil the year before with just a year left on his contract. The correlation between league position and transfer spending is very little, between salary spending and league position however, is substantial. There's no point spending silly money on players for the sake of it.

Chamakh was never going to be sold for 18 mil he wasn't prolific in the French league.
Original post by MoMatrix
Modric,Van der Vaart and Bale are all world class.

So why are spurs 5th and Arsenal 2nd?

Who in Arsenal are worldclass btw?

I really don't understand why people bum tottenham. They draw to Wigan, and bacially get away with it. And of course Spurs are allowed to have their 'off' days despite all their 'worldclass' players.

Joke. The english football system that is. I'm probably gonna find a second team in Italy to support, while the nonsense in the premiership calms down. I've always like Lazio..
Reply 7889
Wenger-ball is incredibly flawed. It is far too centrally focused, and when facing a deep lying defence, the match ends up becoming the equivalent of an overweight person trying to force himself into a pair of 32 inch jeans.
Reply 7890
Bent = Bendtner

That is such a wrong statement.
Reply 7891
So why are spurs 5th and Arsenal 2nd?

Who in Arsenal are worldclass btw?

I really don't understand why people bum tottenham. They draw to Wigan, and bacially get away with it. And of course Spurs are allowed to have their 'off' days despite all their 'worldclass' players.

Joke. The english football system that is. I'm probably gonna find a second team in Italy to support, while the nonsense in the premiership calms down. I've always like Lazio..

A game of football is 11 vs 11 so three world class players can still be on a team that loses. Arsenal have 2 world class players RVP and Fabregas. Arsenal have a lot of dead wood in the team e.g Bendtner.
I havent visited this Arsenal thread in about a year. And going back 2-3 years, every single year you have the same old excuses. It's near a carbon copy how the season unfolds. Every year "we're gonna do it next year".."this year it's different..." "we were unlucky..."

Arsenal fail every time when they are tested. This filters down from the manager. Wenger is very good but he needs help. If not tactically, at least a stronger no.2. The team reflects his personality and is weak when it comes to crunch time. There is never anything major wrong with Arsenal, and that's true, but you have been lacking the killer instinct for years. There is no ruthlessness about you and the statistics speak for themselves. Teams aren't intimidated by Arsenal anymore.

Anyway, another failed season. Let's see if you change things in the summer (I wouldnt hold my breath).
A game of football is 11 vs 11 so three world class players can still be on a team that loses. Arsenal have 2 world class players RVP and Fabregas. Arsenal have a lot of dead wood in the team e.g Bendtner.

lol spurs have more world class players than arsenal. Goodness gracious..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7894
lol spurs have more world class players than arsenal.

It just gets better and better. :yy:

Lets just say if a first XI of Spurs and Arsenal team was made more Spurs players would be in that line up. You were the one who thought Bendtner is the same level as Bent so don't patronise me.
oh yeah Nasri > Modric.

Nasri was France's player of the year.
Reply 7896
oh yeah Nasri > Modric.

Lucas was Brazilian player of the year 2006.
Lets just say if a first XI of Spurs and Arsenal team was made more Spurs players would be in that line up.

Yeah sure :yy:

I give up arguing. But in the future if you want to bum spurs, please do it another thread, you can even talk about 'Arry being good enough to manage Barcelona if you want. :yy:
Reply 7898
Yeah sure :yy:

I give up arguing. But in the future if you want to bum spurs, please do it another thread, you can even talk about 'Arry being good enough to manage Barcelona if you want. :yy:

Yeah thanks for the advice and well done for noticing that Arsenal aren't good enough years later than everyone else.
Reply 7899
oh yeah Nasri > Modric.

Oh come on man. Nasri has had a very good season so far but Modric has been awesome for a few years now and is better, if Nasri can keep this kind of form up for a few years fair enough, but to declare he's better than Modric is premature. He is the best player at Tottenham.

Latest