The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8020
Original post by Schumacher
I need hours so bad it's unreal.

I'm only contracted to 12 so that's effectively £300pm, my car insurance is £150 a month so I'm working for buttons..

You've been complaining about your hours for a while now. Have you asked if you can do some more on another department?
Original post by FXX
You've been complaining about your hours for a while now. Have you asked if you can do some more on another department?

Ha I sound like a broken record eh :tongue:

I've seriously considered it, but we're really short of bodies at checkouts at the moment so I don't want to jump ship and give them more problems.

Met with the store manager last week who said there was practically no overtime in the shop at all for the next few months which is concerning.
He wanted me to do the PR Ambassador stuff but there wasn't going to be any hours for it and I wasn't doing it for nothing haha!

Needless to say it's all doom and gloom in our store at the moment.
Reply 8022
Original post by Schumacher
Ha I sound like a broken record eh :tongue:

I've seriously considered it, but we're really short of bodies at checkouts at the moment so I don't want to jump ship and give them more problems.

Met with the store manager last week who said there was practically no overtime in the shop at all for the next few months which is concerning.
He wanted me to do the PR Ambassador stuff but there wasn't going to be any hours for it and I wasn't doing it for nothing haha!

Needless to say it's all doom and gloom in our store at the moment.

You don't need to 'jump ship'. You can still do your hours on checkouts, but you'll just be trained on a second department. You get more hours and more opportunities for overtime, and the store saves on any recruitment they would have had to do to fill the gaps.
i think every dept in our store is begging for new people we just dont have the staff. on the bright side we achieve mac and mcm for bonus :smile:
I left Sainsbury's after five years to go to a job that only ended up being for two weeks so now I'm unemployed. Trying to figure out how embarrassing it would be to ask my manager if I could have my old job back. >.<
Reply 8025
Original post by teh_samby
I left Sainsbury's after five years to go to a job that only ended up being for two weeks so now I'm unemployed. Trying to figure out how embarrassing it would be to ask my manager if I could have my old job back. >.<

Wow, that REALLY sucks. How on earth did that happen?
Original post by FXX
Wow, that REALLY sucks. How on earth did that happen?

My sister got talking to this woman at a conference who runs a training company with her husband - it's just the two of them. They needed an admin person for a temp to perm position, 3 months probation. Turned out the job isn't just regular admin, it's a PA job mixed in with IT work (which is what sold me on it), plus the admin stuff, plus selling on the phone, plus being a lab rat for people who are on interview technique courses all for £6.50 per hour. The woman was actually really standoffish and I hated being in the office alone with her anyway because of how unfriendly she was, and two weeks in after hardly any training they said it wasn't working because the job is too big for me, as it was too big for most of the people they hired before me, so they let me go and I didn't put up an argument because I really hated it.
Original post by teh_samby

just go back, say the job didnt work out, would they take you bakc? :smile:
Reply 8028
wow that really sucks for the quantity button on tills :frown:
Original post by DDS

It so does... On my Saturday and Sunday shifts, I could have used it so many times. Boxes of 6 wines etc. Customers kept looking at me as if I were silly to scan the same bottle six times [so as to not getting them all out]. Ditto when customers had multiple heavy boxes eg, of beers. I know there were reasons behind it, but it seems a bit backward to remove a useful function like the quantity button. :/
Original post by affinity89
It so does... On my Saturday and Sunday shifts, I could have used it so many times. Boxes of 6 wines etc. Customers kept looking at me as if I were silly to scan the same bottle six times [so as to not getting them all out]. Ditto when customers had multiple heavy boxes eg, of beers. I know there were reasons behind it, but it seems a bit backward to remove a useful function like the quantity button. :/

I can still use my quantity button :confused:
Original post by DDS

I never knew how to use it in the first place :tongue: granted, not my department, but still might have been useful to tell me when I was till trained!
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
I can still use my quantity button :confused:

The till updates happening at different times for each store, so you'll be getting yours in the next few weeks.
Reply 8033
Hi, wonder if anybody could answer a couple of questions for me... :smile:

I am due to start with Sainsburys on 24th April (Night shift). I was wondering when the pay-days are?? If it is after that date would i be entitled to be payed a weeks wage or would i have to wait until the May date..??

When i applied for the job it said £6.21 p/h + night shift premium... could anybody tell me what the premium is as nobody confirmed it when i went to my interview and it slipped my mind...

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 8034
Original post by dav1610

I am due to start with Sainsburys on 24th April (Night shift). I was wondering when the pay-days are?? If it is after that date would i be entitled to be payed a weeks wage or would i have to wait until the May date..??

When i applied for the job it said £6.21 p/h + night shift premium... could anybody tell me what the premium is as nobody confirmed it when i went to my interview and it slipped my mind...

Our next payday is the 22nd, and no you won't get paid anything until May. We get paid every four weeks on the Friday. I think the night shift premium is £1.50.
Original post by dav1610

shift premium is £1.50. welcome to nights!
Reply 8036
Ok, thanks! So my first wage will be paid on the 20th?!

thnks again
Reply 8037
Original post by dav1610
Ok, thanks! So my first wage will be paid on the 20th?!

thnks again

Yep.
Reply 8038
Sorry for being abit thick to it all, but i am a newby! :smile:

Ive been reading through old posts on this forum and quite alot of people have talked about a cut off point - it says it is the saturday before payday.....

could somebody please tell me what this means??

Reply 8039
Original post by dav1610
Sorry for being abit thick to it all, but i am a newby! :smile:

Ive been reading through old posts on this forum and quite alot of people have talked about a cut off point - it says it is the saturday before payday.....

could somebody please tell me what this means??

The Saturday before the payday is the last day for which you get paid on that payday. Anything worked on the Sunday and afterwards is carried over to the next pay date.

Latest

Trending

Trending