The Student Room Group

Why do you love Classics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steffi.alexa
Haha, I didn't read grammar books and I took a weighted module in it last semester!

Wow, that is one generous school! What are you planning on doing for uni?

Grammar is :coma:

No to be honest they've been very good to me, my maths teacher especially, he basically encouraged me through it and persuaded the school to pay for my exam entries and buy all the books I needed (£80 for AS - the A2 ones come to £150 :zomg: ) but then again he knows quite a bit of latin too :tongue:

I think a Classics degree would be appropriate after all that :colondollar:
Original post by medbh4805

Grammar is :coma:

No to be honest they've been very good to me, my maths teacher especially, he basically encouraged me through it and persuaded the school to pay for my exam entries and buy all the books I needed (£80 for AS - the A2 ones come to £150 :zomg: ) but then again he knows quite a bit of latin too :tongue:

I think a Classics degree would be appropriate after all that :colondollar:

Wow, that's one great teacher you've got there :wink:

Haha nice choice. Any ideas where yet?
I love classics because everyday I go into university and come out finding another reason why I love classics. That and the literature shows flair and originality.
I know what you mean about a different world, though sometimes that bugs me - I just don't think I can stand reading any more Cicero!

I don't think it takes any more intelligence than normal history/literature/language, though perhaps it is a slightly different way of going about things.

What do you mean by that? :smile:
Original post by im so academic

What do you mean by that? :smile:

What part?
Original post by toronto353

Original post by toronto353
I love classics because everyday I go into university and come out finding another reason why I love classics. That and the literature shows flair and originality.

Same, though I must admit I also find more that I hate but only due to the pace at which the work is thrown at us. :colondollar:
Wow, that's one great teacher you've got there :wink:

Haha nice choice. Any ideas where yet?

True. He's a great maths teacher too :redface:

Oxford is the dream, Durham would be great, otherwise Warwick/Exeter/Manchester....I'll probably apply to Trinity College Dublin and Maynooth through CAO too :smile:

My final backup is the University of Malta :ninja:

What part?

That it "requires a slightly different way of thinking about things" bit.
I actually kind of hate it right now/wish I hadn't applied for it.
I regret not applying for English Lit but there's no way I'm paying 9k a years so I guess I have to stick with it.
Reply 29
Original post by Noodlepants
I actually kind of hate it right now/wish I hadn't applied for it.
I regret not applying for English Lit but there's no way I'm paying 9k a years so I guess I have to stick with it.

Where have you applied out of interest? Any ideas where you'll go yet?
True. He's a great maths teacher too :redface:

Oxford is the dream, Durham would be great, otherwise Warwick/Exeter/Manchester....I'll probably apply to Trinity College Dublin and Maynooth through CAO too :smile:

My final backup is the University of Malta :ninja:

Obviously I'm heavily biased towards Manchester, but the department here really is great. They keep banging on about the John Ryland Papyrii too, though I haven't done anything relating to them... I'm only a little first year!

The uni of Malta? How come?

That it "requires a slightly different way of thinking about things" bit.

Well, the sources aren't as great as for other periods so you have to use them in a slightly different way. Having said that, I haven't taken any uni level history courses yet so perhaps the gap isn't so wide.
Reply 31
Well, the sources aren't as great as for other periods so you have to use them in a slightly different way. Having said that, I haven't taken any uni level history courses yet so perhaps the gap isn't so wide.

Yes they are, but I don't find that disturbing. Challenging, rather. I think working on our ancient past teaches you very well how History is "academically" done.
Original post by Sappho
Where have you applied out of interest? Any ideas where you'll go yet?

King's firm, Manchester insurance.
It's going to be a long 3 years in terms of my choice on course.
I just hope the social side makes up for it.
I guess I could do a few English modules :confused:
Obviously I'm heavily biased towards Manchester, but the department here really is great. They keep banging on about the John Ryland Papyrii too, though I haven't done anything relating to them... I'm only a little first year!

The uni of Malta? How come?

Yeah, the course at Manc seems really good, I like that you're able to take modules in related disciplines like theology and middle east studies as well. It'll probably be my third choice after Durham, mainly because I have lot of extended family in the North of England.

Later application deadline and no fees for EU students :colone:
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Sappho
Yes they are, but I don't find that disturbing. Challenging, rather. I think working on our ancient past teaches you very well how History is "academically" done.

Hmm, that's interesting. I think the ancient past is important for general academia but I am heavily biased :rolleyes: Plus it's fun :teehee:
Reply 35
Plus it's fun :teehee:

:yes:
Yeah, the course at Manc seems really good, I like that you're able to take modules in related disciplines like theology and middle east studies as well. It'll probably be my third choice after Durham, mainly because I have lot of extended family in the North of England.

Later application deadline and no fees for EU students :colone:

Yeah, 1/6 of your credits can be taken outside of the school of arts, histories and cultures (with departmental approval) and all those you've mentioned are in that school so technically you could take half of you credits in those IIRC. I do love the flexibility of the course here.

What's your first choice then?
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Sappho
:yes:

Apart from Cicero. And Catiline. :dry:
Yeah, 1/6 of your credits can be taken outside of the school of arts, histories and cultures (with departmental approval) and all those you've mentioned are in that school so technically you could take half of you credits in those IIRC. I do love the flexibility of the course here.

What's your first choice then?

Oxford. Unsure about which college though. :redface:
Reply 39
Apart from [censored]. And Catiline. :dry:

C'mon, Cicero is awesome! :love: Catullus is a bit dump, though... :nothing:

And Catiline, well, I already said that I love Sallust. I actually did an Ancient History module on Sallust (and therefore Catiline, too) last semester, that was really good! It was one of the things that motivated me to do Ancient History at uni, too, though Classics is still my core passion:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending