The Student Room Group

[Gay] How to tell him I like him without making it awkward?

Scroll to see replies

Just take a chance, it is the same in hetrosexual circles as well... unless you take a chance and tell them how you feel, you'll never know and you would be left thinking of what could of been instead of what is (if it turns out great, otherwise :frown:) :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by dbmag9
You're not allowed to go to parties? How come?

You're friends, don't you do things together? Just don't make it some big confrontation; that's awkward for anyone, let alone a potential straight guy.

Because my mum thinks I'll get stabbed or off my face or both at parties. You mean just say something when he's with me? I can't see myself saying anything like that randomly.
Reply 22
Hmm well I was this position a few months ago, I just went for it and he was fine with it (he was straight) and our relationship has not worsened since, perhaps I was just lucky...
Reply 23
Almost all the gay guys go through this dilemma; there is always that one guy friend who you fancy and cannot really tell if he is gay or straight :frown:

Anyways, 3-4 years ago I used to have a massive crush on one of my friends and it turned into the usual 'trying-to-check-for-anyfreakingsign-if-he-is-gay' ritual everytime we used to hang out. In the end I asked him via text message "I have been wondering for a while, are you gay or straight?". Turned out he was straight, and since I didnt really tell him that I had a crush on him, it never got awkward between us.

A couple of months later I did end up giving him a bj, but thats a different a story altogether.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by maths134
Hmm well I was this position a few months ago, I just went for it and he was fine with it (he was straight) and our relationship has not worsened since, perhaps I was just lucky...

How did you tell him and what did you say?
Reply 25
Original post by Teravolt
How did you tell him and what did you say?

We were chatting on fb (as we do quite often) and I just thought to myself 'hmm maybe I should just tell him...' so the convo went roughly like this :
Me 'hmm..'
him '?'
me 'nothing...'
him 'go on...'
me 'hmm ok but you cant judge... promise !!'
him 'I would never judge you'
me 'ok.. well... I really like you =['
him 'firstly your gay !? and secondly really im not that great'
me 'err yeh lol you are'
him 'oh, ok'
me 'so your ok with it ?'
him 'its just like a girl telling me im quite flattered really'
me 'oh good..'
him 'so yeh how far are you in pokemon' (previous convo)
Reply 26
We were chatting on fb (as we do quite often) and I just thought to myself 'hmm maybe I should just tell him...' so the convo went roughly like this :
Me 'hmm..'
him '?'
me 'nothing...'
him 'go on...'
me 'err yeh lol you are'
him 'oh, ok'
me 'oh good..'

Lucky :smile: I doubt it would go like that if I did the same though (maybe it would but I'm too scared to do it) :colondollar:
Reply 27
leave it
find out 100% if hes gay (unlikely) if not, telling him will make him so awkard around you itd be unreal
Reply 28
Original post by f00ddude
leave it
find out 100% if hes gay (unlikely) if not, telling him will make him so awkard around you itd be unreal

But how do I find out if he is gay without asking him? We're in different friend groups so I can't ask them.
Reply 29
But how do I find out if he is gay without asking him? We're in different friend groups so I can't ask them.

talk to him, bring in the topic of chicks
my mate always used to answer "well, its a bit awkard" before he came out
Reply 30
Original post by f00ddude
talk to him, bring in the topic of chicks
my mate always used to answer "well, its a bit awkard" before he came out

Like asking him if he likes a girl or something? Might seem a bit personal or weird since he knows I'm gay.
Reply 31
Like asking him if he likes a girl or something? Might seem a bit personal or weird since he knows I'm gay.

well, its the best way you can find out really and its much better than saying u like him and him just being "erm....... i think i just realised i have somneone elses key, they're probably locked out, ill cya later yeh" not my best excuse :P
Reply 32
The options you have and the turn outs.
- Keep going as just being friends and say nothing - resulting in :
1) your fine with this and just move on.
2) you keep thinking 'is he gay' and just get hung up on it.

- You just tell him you like him - resulting in
1) he is gay and he feels the same way (yay)
2) he isnt gay but doesnt care and you can now move on.
3) he isnt gay and now hates you.

Telling him has more plusses but one great big minus =[
Original post by Revd. Mike
If you're not sure, my best advice would be to leave it and get over it.

sad truth

Me 'hmm..'
him '?'
me 'nothing...'
him 'go on...'
me 'err yeh lol you are'
him 'oh, ok'
me 'oh good..'

you got pretty lucky i'd say... relatively speaking. but what do i know.
how far ARE you in pokemon? i'm a bit fed up training my pokemon up for victory road when all i can train against is the generic magikarp type pokemon and the dark/dragon thing.
Reply 34
Original post by nick__s
sad truth

you got pretty lucky i'd say... relatively speaking. but what do i know.
how far ARE you in pokemon? i'm a bit fed up training my pokemon up for victory road when all i can train against is the generic magikarp type pokemon and the dark/dragon thing.

Im not sure whether to answer the pokemon question haha =p but i will anyway, past elite four pokemon at level 50 (team of 6). Cba to do much more atm. And the guy reacted really well still think he might be gay lol... but im over it =p
Im not sure whether to answer the pokemon question haha =p but i will anyway, past elite four pokemon at level 50 (team of 6). Cba to do much more atm. And the guy reacted really well still think he might be gay lol... but im over it =p

yeah apparently there's not much to do after the elite four. i was a bit apprehensive about getting the game after how awesome heart gold was but so far it's been pretty good overall.
Reply 36
I'm 17, he's 18. We're friends and I really like him, but I don't know if he's gay or likes me in that way or not. I'm openly gay so maybe if he liked me he would have told me already? I don't wanna lose him as a friend, but we're not like close friends. What should I do?

This is simple i had a mate at school who was in the same position with a friend from outside school.

How he solved the situation was to teabag his crush while he slept hoping that he would wake up and be happy to see it and it did work they are now together and have been for 2 years.

I know this is unbelievable but it is a true story; I'm not saying this will work for you but maybe worth a try.
Reply 37
I'm 17, he's 18. We're friends and I really like him, but I don't know if he's gay or likes me in that way or not. I'm openly gay so maybe if he liked me he would have told me already? I don't wanna lose him as a friend, but we're not like close friends. What should I do?

Just have a talk with him about who he's interested in at the moment - whether he's got his eye on anyone etc. If not, ask him who his ideal partner would be.
No dont say you like him if you're not sure he's gay, trust me ITS REALLY AKWARD. Its happened to me before and if i could i would rewind time and stop it from happening. Im not a homophobic or anything but its just really akward and since then We haven't been that close of friends. Il recommend you find out if he's gay then tell him, and if he isnt i would recommend you not to tell him.
This is a difficult one, especially if you don't know if he's gay or not but I think its best to tell him, then you'll get some closure one way or another.

Look at it this way, lets say he turns out to be straight if he's a true friend then he'll tell you he's straight and you can move on without it affecting the relationship. There may well be some akwardness at first but like I said if he's really your friend you'll move past it

If he on the other hand wants nothing more to do with you then- Its a cliche- but he's not really a friend and you're probably better off without him.

My advice would be to sit down and talk with him about your feelings but go gently. You never know if you don't try!

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest