The Student Room Group

How important is teachers references when applying for medschool?

Hey guys!

Title explains it really, how important is our teachers comments on us?
and how many references do medical schools require? is it one from each subject teacher or?....
and lastly, can i pick who my referee is by any chance?

Hope to hear from use soon!:smile:
Reply 1
Didn't matter much for me the first time I applied in 07 and my sixth form co-ordinators hated me, so my references wasn't fantastic after my form tutor passed it to them. I still got 3 interviews and 3 offers. Then I missed my grades :colonhash:

Just the one UCAS reference.

That depends on your school's policy.
Reply 2
If you're applying through a college, then your college will likely have an internal procedure in how they write your reference.

Generally, they count for so-so. Most peoples are incredible (as you'd expect), but they'd probably take note if you had any bad qualities mentioned.
super duper important.....

and if you go to a crappy state school....get other references to be included within the school one....read it over with a toothpick before hand to remove all the spelling mistakes, wrong names (yes, it happened in mine) and other horrific things that would give you an instant rejection.....

depends on the uni as well, some solely use the PS/reference to decide whether or not to invite to interview....
Reply 4
Original post by Beska
but they'd probably take note if you had any bad qualities mentioned.

They can't really write bad references.

Only ones that aren't as good as others.
Reply 5
Original post by Tabris
They can't really write bad references.

Only ones that aren't as good as others.

To be fair I think the first point is just an urban myth because my school wrote a few 'bad' references, apparently.

My best friend had a few sentences about him being undedicated and unreliable!
Original post by Beska
To be fair I think the first point is just an urban myth because my school wrote a few 'bad' references, apparently.

My best friend had a few sentences about him being undedicated and unreliable!

mine had loads of spelling mistakes and called me "tom" several times.....not to mention looked as if it was written by a 5yr old

(my name is not tom)
:hmmm: I think in my school each of your subject teachers + your form tutor + your head of year write a reference and then they merge it (At least from what I've heard, so don't quote me on this :erm:)
I'll use Leeds as an example;
For 2011 entry, every candidate was scored out of 46, pre interview stage.
16 was on Grades, GCSE, AS and Predicted,
24 was on various aspects of personal statement (I think these were motivation, insight, responsibility and extra-curriculur, each worth 6),
and then the last 6 points were on the reference.

To get an interview, you had to get 39/46, there was the possibility of one extra mark if you had got 720 or above on the UKCAT. So out of 47, it was worth 6 at Leeds, which is 12/13% of your application.

I think Leeds' emphasis on the reference is pretty low, that's what I heard from Med students when I visited there, so there you go.
Reply 9
Original post by Straight up G
I'll use Leeds as an example;
For 2011 entry, every candidate was scored out of 46, pre interview stage.
16 was on Grades, GCSE, AS and Predicted,
24 was on various aspects of personal statement (I think these were motivation, insight, responsibility and extra-curriculur, each worth 6),
and then the last 6 points were on the reference.

To get an interview, you had to get 39/46, there was the possibility of one extra mark if you had got 720 or above on the UKCAT. So out of 47, it was worth 6 at Leeds, which is 12/13% of your application.

I think Leeds' emphasis on the reference is pretty low, that's what I heard from Med students when I visited there, so there you go.

hhhm i see, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending