The Student Room Group

can I be a BARRISTER if i did my LLB AT NOTTINGHAM TRENT?

is it possible i know it will be hard, but i sooo want this!!1

any tips?

i was thinking after doing my BVC at London College of Law, should I go to another city in the uk to do my pupillage like essex, nottingham, newcastle etc in order to qualify, as they are less popular options, then come back down to london to practice in chambers?

Scroll to see replies

The university that you study law at is by no means something that would ever prevent you from becoming a barrister in itself. However, you should certainly be aiming for a First if at all possible. Unfortunately attending Nottingham Trent university is going to be a weakness in your application, and the most obvious way to counterbalance that is to secure a First. Coming away with a 2:1 wouldn't necessarily kill your chances, though given the high standard of candidates who aim for pupillage you would do yourself a big favour by securing a First.

Beyond that, general tips would be to start building your CV now to make it as strong as possible going forward. Getting interviews is all about standing out on paper, something which is becoming increasingly more difficult. Gaining relevant experience at undergraduate level and using that time well can be a big benefit to you later on.

As for the second part of your question, you shouldn't necessarily think that regional sets are easier to secure pupillage with. Yes, it is true that not having a flawless academic record will kill your chances of pupillage with some of the larger and more prestigious sets, both in London and elsewhere in the country. However, you are by no means unique in forming the plan to apply to the smaller sets because of a perceived boost to your chances. A lot of people do it, and as a result there will be an awful lot of candidates just like you applying to the regional sets. Which in turn still makes it incredibly difficult to secure pupillage through that route. In fact, it can often be harder than you think. Regional sets may not place the strict requirements on academia that larger sets do, but they often place more emphasis on candidates having local connections and fitting in to Chambers. As a candidate who may have no such connections and only wants to get pupillage with that set so that you can then move on, you may inherently struggle in that regard. Not that you would tell them of your intentions to move away necessarily, but you see my point. You cannot fake local connections, and regional sets are generally wary of candidates who could potentially use them for pupillage and then move on.
Reply 2
Original post by Crazy Jamie
The university that you study law at is by no means something that would ever prevent you from becoming a barrister in itself. However, you should certainly be aiming for a First if at all possible. Unfortunately attending Nottingham Trent university is going to be a weakness in your application, and the most obvious way to counterbalance that is to secure a First. Coming away with a 2:1 wouldn't necessarily kill your chances, though given the high standard of candidates who aim for pupillage you would do yourself a big favour by securing a First.

Beyond that, general tips would be to start building your CV now to make it as strong as possible going forward. Getting interviews is all about standing out on paper, something which is becoming increasingly more difficult. Gaining relevant experience at undergraduate level and using that time well can be a big benefit to you later on.

As for the second part of your question, you shouldn't necessarily think that regional sets are easier to secure pupillage with. Yes, it is true that not having a flawless academic record will kill your chances of pupillage with some of the larger and more prestigious sets, both in London and elsewhere in the country. However, you are by no means unique in forming the plan to apply to the smaller sets because of a perceived boost to your chances. A lot of people do it, and as a result there will be an awful lot of candidates just like you applying to the regional sets. Which in turn still makes it incredibly difficult to secure pupillage through that route. In fact, it can often be harder than you think. Regional sets may not place the strict requirements on academia that larger sets do, but they often place more emphasis on candidates having local connections and fitting in to Chambers. As a candidate who may have no such connections and only wants to get pupillage with that set so that you can then move on, you may inherently struggle in that regard. Not that you would tell them of your intentions to move away necessarily, but you see my point. You cannot fake local connections, and regional sets are generally wary of candidates who could potentially use them for pupillage and then move on.

i was thinking if i do get a first, i would like to go to oxford to do the BCL, i take it this would boost my chances?
so it is still possible?
any tips for getting a first? also do chambers look at first year grades i mean im roughly at a low 2.1 roughly?

thanks for answering!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Unless I'm wrong Nottingham Trent is ranked in the 40s for law. The University I went to is ranked in the late 60s! Plus I got a 2:2 in my first year (although I got a first overall) and yet I have a pupillage interview next week.
I'm not saying I'll definitely get a pupillage (far from it!) but they only interview people who they could see as a pupil. My point is that it's definitely possible to be a barrister with an LLB from Nottingham Trent. As Crazy Jamie says, just work really hard and build up your CV.
Original post by unistudent369
is it possible i know it will be hard, but i sooo want this!!1

any tips?

i was thinking after doing my BVC at London College of Law, should I go to another city in the uk to do my pupillage like essex, nottingham, newcastle etc in order to qualify, as they are less popular options, then come back down to london to practice in chambers?

Yes, you can. Nothing is stopping you from becoming a barrister.
Reply 5
thanks so much for your answers guys, means alot!
Reply 6
Original post by charly533
Unless I'm wrong Nottingham Trent is ranked in the 40s for law. The University I went to is ranked in the late 60s! Plus I got a 2:2 in my first year (although I got a first overall) and yet I have a pupillage interview next week.
I'm not saying I'll definitely get a pupillage (far from it!) but they only interview people who they could see as a pupil. My point is that it's definitely possible to be a barrister with an LLB from Nottingham Trent. As Crazy Jamie says, just work really hard and build up your CV.

just wondering, what university did you go too?
just wondering, what university did you go too?

I second that
i was thinking if i do get a first, i would like to go to oxford to do the BCL, i take it this would boost my chances?
so it is still possible?
any tips for getting a first? also do chambers look at first year grades i mean im roughly at a low 2.1 roughly?

thanks for answering!! :biggrin:

I think the fact you're currently on a low 2.i is more detrimental to your chances than the fact you go to Nottingham Trent. Yes chambers will look at your 1st year grades and you WILL definitely need a high 2.i or a first to stand a good chance. In all honesty, Nottingham Trent is going to be a disadvantage to you HOWEVER if you get good marks then you still stand a chance.
Reply 9
Bournemouth

ohh cool and where did you do your BVC? do you plan to work in London?

also have you ever done mini pupilages?
Reply 10
ohh cool and where did you do your BVC? do you plan to work in London?

also have you ever done mini pupilages?

I'm currently doing the BPTC at BPP law school part time. I've done only 1 mini but have experience in a solicitors among other things but I should really try and sort some more. It's just hard to fit it in as I have a young son.
Reply 11
Original post by La Songeuse
I think the fact you're currently on a low 2.i is more detrimental to your chances than the fact you go to Nottingham Trent. Yes chambers will look at your 1st year grades and you WILL definitely need a high 2.i or a first to stand a good chance. In all honesty, Nottingham Trent is going to be a disadvantage to you HOWEVER if you get good marks then you still stand a chance.

Not true I spoke to my sponsor and he said most chambers just ask for the overall classification - I'm sure it's different for the top commercial chambers. The civil set I applied for did ask for a breakdown of grades and I got a 2:ii in my first year and was still called for interview. Your overall classification is by far the most important thing.
I agree that your first year grades may be considered but not that "you WILL definitely need a high 2.i or a first [in your first year] to stand a good chance" though no doubt it helps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm currently doing the BPTC at BPP law school part time. I've done only 1 mini but have experience in a solicitors among other things but I should really try and sort some more. It's just hard to fit it in as I have a young son.

ahh thanks for answering it means a lot! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 13
Not true I spoke to my sponsor and he said most chambers just ask for the overall classification - I'm sure it's different for the top commercial chambers. The civil set I applied for did ask for a breakdown of grades and I got a 2:ii in my first year and was still called for interview. Your overall classification is by far the most important thing.
I agree that your first year grades may be considered but not that "you WILL definitely need a high 2.i or a first to stand a good chance" though no doubt it helps.

so if i did get a 2:2 this year it wouldn't be the end of the world?
Reply 14
so if i did get a 2:2 this year it wouldn't be the end of the world?

Well I would still agree that it would help to show consistent academic excellence. But no I don't think it would be the end of the world - just be ready to explain it to those chambers who ask for a full breakdown
Reply 15
The reality is that pupillage is incredibly hard to secure. If you get anything other than a 1st, you should prepare yourself for a lot of disappointment, and make alternative arrangements. Even if you do get a 1st, bear in mind the competition. Something like 2000 people will graduate the BPTC. However, there are only something like 500 first-six places. Add to those 2000 all the previously unsuccessful applicants from previous years and you have major competition. Most of the candidates will have qualifications / personal qualities at least as good as yours.

Sorry, but it's a nightmare. The only parallels are in the medical professions, and in those you aren't expected to shell out for your professional training yourself.
Reply 16
Well I would still agree that it would help to show consistent academic excellence. But no I don't think it would be the end of the world - just be ready to explain it to those chambers who ask for a full breakdown

"End of the world" is the wrong phrase. Earth being hit by a comet, or nuclear war is the end of the world.

But in the context of being called to the Bar, the reality is that a 2ii might as well be. Chances of securing a pupillage with a 2ii surely tend toward zero.
Reply 17
Original post by Clip
"End of the world" is the wrong phrase. Earth being hit by a comet, or nuclear war is the end of the world.

But in the context of being called to the Bar, the reality is that a 2ii might as well be. Chances of securing a pupillage with a 2ii surely tend toward zero.

OP is talking about in the first year. Of course if the overall degree classification was a 2.ii I would agree that chances are almost zero in securing a pupillage.
Reply 18
OP is talking about in the first year. Of course if the overall degree classification was a 2.ii I would agree that chances are almost zero in securing a pupillage.

so will a 2.ii in my first year and say two 1sts in my second and third year, equating to a first overall hinder my chances?
Reply 19
so will a 2.ii in my first year and say two 1sts in my second and third year, equating to a first overall hinder my chances?

Well, I'm not going to lie, it's not as good as having consistent good grades, but in the end an overall classification of a first is a first and this is what most chambers care about (according to my sponsor and barristers I've spoken to). I got a 2.ii in my first year, then a first in my second year and a first in my final year and I'm getting interviews so it clearly is still possible to be a barrister. But you have to be aware, as Clip states, the chances in this climate, for anyone, are slim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending