The Student Room Group

Did you fill in your census form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Could someone please explain exactly how someone knowing something about you compromises your freedom?

Freedom to do what?
Reply 21
My parents did mine online. My brummie Dad and kraut Mum me down as 'Cornish', not English. :dry: and didnt bother asking me what religon I wanted to put down
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by bluesky42
Could someone please explain exactly how someone knowing something about you compromises your freedom?

Freedom to do what?

its an intrusion of privacy. Some of the stuff they ask on there I'd rather keep to my self.

I dont blame your attitude which is too fill it in, as you dont see the bigger picture, which I do.

we should be allowed to have the choice if we want to fill it in or not. Instead they are using scare tactics and mention £1k fines in every advert about the census. Where are our rights (not that we have much left nowadays).

in 30-40years we wont even be allowed to leave our homes after dark without a pass.

BIG BROTHER is coming to a city near you
Original post by harvie_316
why should they keep my private info up to date. Its called private for a reason, were slowly losing all our freedoms.

It's hardly private. I assume people know where you live, what your name is, your date of birth, what your last/current job is, what religion you consider yourself.
Reply 24
Just do it or you get fined.
Reply 25
its an intrusion of privacy. Some of the stuff they ask on there I'd rather keep to my self.

I dont blame your attitude which is too fill it in, as you dont see the bigger picture, which I do.

we should be allowed to have the choice if we want to fill it in or not. Instead they are using scare tactics and mention £1k fines in every advert about the census. Where are our rights (not that we have much left nowadays).

in 30-40years we wont even be allowed to leave our homes after dark without a pass.

Why does it matter if other people know about your date of birth/job etc?

What's wrong with carrying a pass? Surely you carry a wallet with bankcards/driving license most of the time anyway?
Reply 26

What's wrong with carrying a pass? Surely you carry a wallet with bankcards/driving license most of the time anyway?

its not carrying a pass, its about how they are reducing our freedoms. We have been conditioned that much by schooling, media and other sources, that you dont mind having a pass which you would need to show the police if you leave your home.

To me it is madness how anyone would think that's okay, you need a licence to leave your house to walk on the street which you paid for with your TAX? We need to rebel against things like these census forms and other stuff. Because slowly and slowly they are taking our rights away without us really knowing. they do in baby steps so we cant see what is happening.

Also im sorry, I meant to quote you but by mistake i pressed a thumbs down. Please contact a mod if it affects your rep was not intended. I dont ever give anyone a minus because everyone has the right to an opinion.
yes. put my religion down as heavy metal
Reply 28
I 'filled' it in. The questions were quite annoying though, so I ended up just ticking everything. The government are too nosy.
Reply 29
its not carrying a pass, its about how they are reducing our freedoms. We have been conditioned that much by schooling, media and other sources, that you dont mind having a pass which you would need to show the police if you leave your home.

To me it is madness how anyone would think that's okay, you need a licence to leave your house to walk on the street which you paid for with your TAX? We need to rebel against things like these census forms and other stuff. Because slowly and slowly they are taking our rights away without us really knowing. they do in baby steps so we cant see what is happening.

Also im sorry, I meant to quote you but by mistake i pressed a thumbs down. Please contact a mod if it affects your rep was not intended. I dont ever give anyone a minus because everyone has the right to an opinion.

That's okay, thanks for the explanation.

You're saying you think it's madness, but explain why? What freedoms does it reduce? What rights is it against? It's hardly going to affect your life that much...
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, of course I did. It allows better planning for future services, and more funding for my local council and health service.
Reply 31
Yes. Don't know why people keep moaning about it 'infringing civil liberties' and the 'police state' etc when it has been done since 1841. The questions were hardly that intrusive, the only personal things were health and religion.

I was shocked that so many of my friends didn't know what a census is though. "Have you filled in your census?" "A census? What's that?"
There are no questions about money op. It was a hard decision but they decided to not ask about income etc -> the best source on income would be the labour force survey.

It will be interesting in 100+ years time when your great great grandchildren do a school project on family trees and they can't find you on the census.
The questions weren't exactly intrusive - asking who lives in a house and what they do. It's not like they were asking for your bank details.
Incurring a £1000 fine by not filling in a few questions the government probably already knows the answers to is just stupid.
Reply 34
That's okay, thanks for the explanation.

You're saying you think it's madness, but explain why? What freedoms does it reduce? What rights is it against? It's hardly going to affect your life that much...

Its hard to get my message across on a forum. Ill try though....

All I want is a choice, if the census was optional to fill in, i dont know i might just fill it in. Just give me the choice. Instead as I've mentioned, we have no say in the matter and they are scaring the public to fill it in or mentioning massive fines.

That fines make me cringe, it a bit like bullying, fill it in or get jumped on by the big fat bully whos gonna give you a wedgie.
I filled mine in online for my family, it was amazingly quicker. However I really didn't feel like there were too much personal questions.

Even new mums who gave birth on census day had to amend the census.

Filling out a form every 10 years is really not so bad.

What I do find funny is this:

In 2001 - the first time a voluntary question was asked about faith - almost 400,000 people claimed their religion was 'Jedi'. This was in addition to almost 7,000 who said they were witches.
Filled ours in (well step dad did), I made it perfectly clear that I am a French national and a Jew... the fact I am also half-English didn't come into for me only French on the form to screw with the system :tongue: (if it does in anyway that is :smile:).
Reply 37
I filled my bit of it in.

Because the census hasn't been carried out for over 100 years?

How else are the government meant to get an exact figure for population, which is then used to make projections for future population growth? Also, the government will be able to find out which religions deserve what funding, as well as local amenities.

The people who apparently 'know' about the bigger picture are just a bunch of paranoid idiots with nothing better to do. Enjoy the £1k fine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
I didn't receive a census form, will I be fined?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending