The Student Room Group

Another Police Officer Killed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LALA LAND
Nationalist idea is that they eventually want to see a united Ireland (just one island governing itself), but only through peaceful means and dialogue.

Place names are either gaelic or english translations of gaelic.

Says who?

Just because most nationalists are committed to peace, it doesn't mean all are. Committing violence does not suddenly exclude someone from being a nationalist.
Reply 21
Nationalist idea is that they eventually want to see a united Ireland (just one island governing itself), but only through peaceful means and dialogue.

So Republicans attack Nationalists because Nationalists are not violent enough?
and 'Peaceful Means' is a byword for having the British Army do the violence for them? killing a few bystanders in the process?
Reply 22

and 'Peaceful Means' is a byword for having the British Army do the violence for the Nationalists? and killing a few bystanders in the process?
Reply 23
Original post by Teveth
They are nationalists.

They are dissident republicans in the northern irish sense of the word. If you are using the broad dictionary definition then unionists are nationalists too!

They are dissident republicans not nationalists! I am a nationalist, and find it offensive some one comparing me with them!
Reply 24
Original post by Aj12
So they want a unified Ireland?

Yes. Though the dissidents have admitted they will not achieve it in this current climate. They said they are 'bombing NI back to the furture' ensuring it can't be a normal society.
Reply 25
They are dissident republicans in the northern irish sense of the word. If you are using the broad dictionary definition then unionists are nationalists too!

They are dissident republicans not nationalists! I am a nationalist, and find it offensive some one comparing me with them!

Dissident republicans are Irish nationalists. Just because you don't want Irish nationalism to be associated with terrorism, is doesn't mean that these terrorists are not nationalists.
Reply 26
Original post by bestofyou
Yes. Though the dissidents have admitted they will not achieve it in this current climate. They said they are 'bombing NI back to the furture' ensuring it can't be a normal society.

Will this not just turn people against them?
Reply 27
Original post by Teveth
Dissident republicans are Irish nationalists. Just because you don't want Irish nationalism to be associated with terrorism, is doesn't mean that these terrorists are not nationalists.

their republicans not nationalists.

Why aren't the called dissident nationalists?
Reply 28
Original post by Ich Dien
and 'Peaceful Means' is a byword for having the British Army do the violence for the Nationalists? and killing a few bystanders in the process?

No they dont attack nationalists per se, they attack catholic police officers (probably nationalist), because they believe they are being traitors and are legitimate targets because the PSNI, are part of the British Security Services.

What do you mean by british army?

Myself a nationalist would like and prefer to see a united ireland but only through peaceful means, and simply is happy if things remain peaceful and largely neutral such as the PSNI, even though are part of the British state. This is most nationalists views.
Reply 29
Original post by Aj12

Yes they dont care. Dissident are a very small minority!
Reply 30
Original post by Aj12

the have minimal support. And I would image their support will continue to dwindle as time progresses unless something drastic happens
Personally I don't understand why we hold on to NI. I'm not a nationalist at all but I can't understand why we hold on to not an island but a small part of an island. It just seems pointless, it's not like it has oil or anything.
Reply 32
What do you mean by british army?

What do I mean by the British Army killing Irish civilians

Original post by Genocidal
Personally I don't understand why we hold on to NI..

Yeah right..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by bestofyou
their republicans not nationalists.

Why aren't the called dissident nationalists?

I don't mean to offend, but that is an incredibly stupid statement. Nationalist and republican are not mutually exclusive, for crying out loud. This is not difficult.

Irish republicans are nationalists.
Reply 34
RIP. The solution to the Ulster problem isn't a return to violence.
Reply 35
Original post by Genocidal
Personally I don't understand why we hold on to NI. I'm not a nationalist at all but I can't understand why we hold on to not an island but a small part of an island. It just seems pointless, it's not like it has oil or anything.

NI has nothing of value to mainland uk. If it wasn't for the unionist opposition then Home Rule would have been granted over 100 years ago and none of this would have happened....

edit: neg all you want, but if its a known fact. You clearly don't know your history if you believe otherwise. In fact, it actually was granted dispite carson kicking and screaming, but it was too late and the taste of full independence was too savory to ingrone.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Place names are either gaelic or english translations of gaelic.

The Americans I mean.
Reply 37
Original post by Teveth
I don't mean to offend, but that is an incredibly stupid statement. Nationalist and republican are not mutually exclusive, for crying out loud. This is not difficult.

Irish republicans are nationalists.

Ok...Yes, they are technically nationalist. But then again so is every single person in NI. We don't call unionist nationalists though. Or call dissident republicans nationalists. Yes they are nationalists, but are extreme nationalist at the far side of the scale. You will never hear anyone over here talk about the nationalist bombs etc.
Reply 38
Original post by Teveth

In Northern Ireland the media and the people have created their own divisions between the terms to describe different groups. Nationalists are people that would have supported the SDLP and wanted a united ireland via peaceful means, republicans would have been people that supported the armed struggle until recently were they then believed that we have reached a stage were unification could be reached via political means as they now have a voice in the power sharing assembly and got the good friday agreement etc. Dissidents are referred to as those who have split off from most republicans and still only support armed struggle. The reasons these classifications have arose is that it is dangerous to simply label all the different groups nationalist, although this correct in the traditional definitions.
Reply 39
Original post by Ich Dien
The Americans I mean.

what? And in relation to the bloody sunday bit about British army that was long time ago before the nationalist community were properly represented! And its nationalists view that the British army shouldnt be in northern ireland, and are happy now due to the large scale demilitarisation of the provence. Although they are still here, we are happy to live with the compromise if it means peace!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending