The Student Room Group

Skype interview?

Hey guys,

I have an interview next week for MSc in Psychological Research and since I'm an international student, they're very kindly arranging for a Skype interview. They also asked me to prepare a presentation related to research that I've done. But I was wondering if it would be alright to present research that's not part of my undergraduate degree? I mean, our curriculum doesn't allow research but I did do some as a part of my internship. Also, how am I supposed to give a PPT presentation online?

And this might seem silly but what should one wear for a video interview? I was thinking just a nice shirt because I'd feel silly wearing a suit.
I would love to hear if any of you have done this before because I'm getting quite confused. :]
Reply 1
Hey!! :smile:
I am also an international student and applied to Ox as an undergrad in October of last year :smile: I was also offered a skype interview in place of an actual face to face interview but decided to travel to England instead.
I am pretty certain your best research experience doesn't have to be something you had during your first degree. An internship is just as good - if not better. It sort of shows that you took the initiative to look elsewhere (outside of your undergrad curriculum) for research opportunities.
Hmm doing a PPT presentation over skype does seem to be challenging. Talk to the Skype technicians and ask if you may be able to take live videos of your computer screen and do your presentation with a voicerover.
OR...... Are you able to gain access to a projector/smartboard? If you can, you might be able to hop off your seat and do a proper presentation. That'll make the whole thing more interactive/less robotic.

And........ :smile: I wore a ridiculous jumpsuit to my interview and still managed to get in. :smile: I swear your outfit won't make a difference. The most important thing is to look neat, polished and not scruffy :smile:. Wear something that will make you feel comfortable. I know some people wore suits just to put them into character. It's up to you really :smile:
Original post by Cynicism 101
Hey guys,

I have an interview next week for MSc in Psychological Research and since I'm an international student, they're very kindly arranging for a Skype interview. They also asked me to prepare a presentation related to research that I've done. But I was wondering if it would be alright to present research that's not part of my undergraduate degree? I mean, our curriculum doesn't allow research but I did do some as a part of my internship. Also, how am I supposed to give a PPT presentation online?

And this might seem silly but what should one wear for a video interview? I was thinking just a nice shirt because I'd feel silly wearing a suit.
I would love to hear if any of you have done this before because I'm getting quite confused. :]

I'm guess if they are asking for a presentation, they mean you should be prepared to talk for an extended period of time on your research. Not that you should use powerpoint specifically. If you really need to, print off some key pictures/graphs/slides but a powerpoint over skype will be even duller than in real life.
Original post by Cynicism 101
Also, how am I supposed to give a PPT presentation online? ]

One way to do this is to email your slides to the interview team in advance, so they can print them off or view them on laptops, then when you go through your talk on skype, refer as needed to the slides. Don't forget to number them!

:s-smilie:heep:
Reply 4
Original post by Derek_the_Sheep
:s-smilie:heep:

foiled :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by CZephyr
Hey!! :smile:
I am also an international student and applied to Ox as an undergrad in October of last year :smile: I was also offered a skype interview in place of an actual face to face interview but decided to travel to England instead.
I am pretty certain your best research experience doesn't have to be something you had during your first degree. An internship is just as good - if not better. It sort of shows that you took the initiative to look elsewhere (outside of your undergrad curriculum) for research opportunities.
Hmm doing a PPT presentation over skype does seem to be challenging. Talk to the Skype technicians and ask if you may be able to take live videos of your computer screen and do your presentation with a voicerover.
OR...... Are you able to gain access to a projector/smartboard? If you can, you might be able to hop off your seat and do a proper presentation. That'll make the whole thing more interactive/less robotic.

And........ :smile: I wore a ridiculous jumpsuit to my interview and still managed to get in. :smile: I swear your outfit won't make a difference. The most important thing is to look neat, polished and not scruffy :smile:. Wear something that will make you feel comfortable. I know some people wore suits just to put them into character. It's up to you really :smile:

If you download the program ManyCam onto your Laptop, you can use it to flick between various "feeds" which include your webcam and the what is on your computer screen. So, using it, you could open up the PPT, set it to show the screen, and you can talk via mic whilst you present the PPT. Obviously, I'd check it works with someone beforehand to be sure.

http://www.manycam.com/
How did it go? Interested to see how the presentation worked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending