The Student Room Group

Will Pharmacy work experience be relevant to Physics in any way?

So I have to do compulsory Year 12 work experience and I hope to do Physics at university. Over the past few weeks I have searched EVERYWHERE in bolton to find Physics related work experience, including Engineering, and I've emailed a ton of companies but most don't reply. If I don't get any response back by the end of this week I am going to take a placement in my local Lloyds Pharmacy as its the best I can get. Will it be relevant in any way? I remember reading that someone on here had experience in analytical chemistry and that it provided an opportunity to apply physical principals like absorption spectroscopy so was relevant to Physics. I just want some relevant experience to be able to mention in my PS. Help is appreciated.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by vedderfan94
Anyone?

I guess you could totally relate it to chemical-physics or Biophysics. Then you can extrapolate ...... how it has opened your eyes...... to see how basic physics principles have been applied in health care and applying those principles makes a vital difference in the quality of a patient's life. I think....you could use that in your personal statement or something?

EDIT: If you are going to do this, make sure you can relate what you learnt in your placement to BIOPHYSICS! that's a hot topic in physics!

Quick ques. May I know how you got/going to get the Llyod's Placement? I would really like to do that.

thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CoolDude
I guess you could totally relate it to chemical-physics or Biophysics. Then you can extrapolate ...... how it has opened your eyes...... to see how basic physics principles have been applied in health care and applying those principles makes a vital difference in the quality of a patient's life. I think....you could use that in your personal statement or something?

EDIT: If you are going to do this, make sure you can relate what you learnt in your placement to BIOPHYSICS! that's a hot topic in physics!

Quick ques. May I know how you got/going to get the Llyod's Placement? I would really like to do that.

thanks.

Thanks for the help. And I got the placement just by going in and simply asking. It was a last resort sort of thing as I couldn't find anything for Physics or Engineering.
so it's not actually a pharmacy placement, just some summer work you found.
I find that pharmacy is not really that related to physics. Certainly if you were working in industry you may find something you can relate to a physics degree, but working in a community pharmacy, you'll rarely need to use any knowledge of physics other than catching falling pills, shelving products so they don't fall down and stuff like that lol

I got a summer placement at Boots this year. They usually have applications on their website that have a november/december deadline, so you can check that out. The have an online questionnaire as well as a 300-word piece you need to write in order to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending