The Student Room Group

A level or A level foundation?

Hello,

I am still deciding weather I should take A level or A level foundation since I want to finish in a one year course but as the certificate I don't know which is best.
Is there a difference on those 2?
An does it affect you?

Or they are practically the same with the same goal?

since I want to go to university in one year not more.
Reply 1
help please
Reply 2
Help plz
Reply 3
I've honestly never heard of A level foundation, who's offering it?
i haven't heard kof a'level foundation either.
Reply 5
A level foundation is a course where you can finish it in one year ... I read it somewhere in google now I can't find it anymore.
Reply 6
I think you mean accelerated A levels where you do AS and A2 in one year. This depends, if you only do 1 or 2 subjects it should be fine but any more and you'll want to spread it over 2 years. If you have no A levels then you probably won't be going to a decent university for about 2 years since you'll want 3 A2s and 3/4 AS.
Reply 7
Yes it is the 1 year process, No I won't be doing 2 subjects but 3 subjects, since I have 2 subjects that I am skilled at which means less required time, and 1 subject which is more requiring.

But is there any difference in the certificate? or they are both A levels with no difference just one with a less time course and the other a full one?
Reply 8
There is no actual qualification called accelerated or foundation A level or whatever. At the end, whatever you do, you'll have 3 A levels but you'll have done them quicker. Unis will appreciate you've done your A levels quicker but a few not like the fact you've only done 3 AS.

3 A levels in 1 year is still a lot of work but if you're motivated it'll be fine.
Reply 9
3 a levels in one year is a piece of cake, especially if you are skilled at them, I mean in my o level i haven't studied or opened a book for french and english and I got A in french and C in english, like i never opened a book to study on them, and I still passed, I mean to be honest this showed me I can do it in one year if I study them with good teachers....etc.

So you mean at the end they aren't different? since A levels they only accept 2 year and foundation accepts 1 year course... but does it mean like if I get good grades in one year more universities will accept me since its done in a shorter year?
Reply 10
Well it looks like you already have your answer then.

A level foundation is probably just what the place you do it at calls the accelerated course but it's the same qualification. You'll probably be more likely to get an offer but they will not make you a lower offer for doing them in a year.

I'd make sure A level foundation isn't a year BEFORE the two years of A levels where you're brushed up on generic skills that prepare you for A levels.
Reply 11
Original post by d.luffy
3 a levels in one year is a piece of cake, especially if you are skilled at them, I mean in my o level i haven't studied or opened a book for french and english and I got A in french and C in english, like i never opened a book to study on them, and I still passed, I mean to be honest this showed me I can do it in one year if I study them with good teachers....etc.

So you mean at the end they aren't different? since A levels they only accept 2 year and foundation accepts 1 year course... but does it mean like if I get good grades in one year more universities will accept me since its done in a shorter year?

I hate to break it to you, but there is a big step between GCSE's (O-levels) and A-levels.

But at the end of the day, an A-level is still an A-level, whether you achieve it in one year or two.
Reply 12
Well thanks guys, I am sure ill do what I can.
Reply 13
"A-Level foundation" sounds like it is a foundation for A-Levels, i.e. year 11. Make sure you check because that's NOT what you want.
Reply 14
Original post by llys
"A-Level foundation" sounds like it is a foundation for A-Levels, i.e. year 11. Make sure you check because that's NOT what you want.

what do you mean?
it's not a levels that I want?
Reply 15
Usually when "foundation" is added to the end of a qualification it means "more basic" (definitely not "accelerated"). It's most likely that "A-level foundation" refers to an AS, in which case it definitely won't get you into any unis. In fact, without doing two years for your A-levels, assuming you don't actually do 3 A2 + 1 AS in one year (which would be quite a task), it's unlikely you'll get into any unis. If wanting to go to uni a year early is the only reason why you want to do this then I'd reconsider, because you risk not going to uni at all if you do.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by d.luffy
what do you mean?
it's not a levels that I want?

You want A-Levels.

A Level foundation sounds to me like it would be the equivalent of GCSEs.

In fact, I googled it for you:

The pre-sessional ‘A’ level foundation course helps students to adjust to the demands of ‘A’ level work quickly and ensures that they can begin their courses with confidence. Students can enrol at any time in the academic year and develop the academic and language skills they require to begin full ‘A’ level courses in September.

A-Level foundation is a pre-A-Level course, not = A-Level.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
I see which results in AS ... well this sets up my mind straight, I really appreciate the efforts, thanks guys, though I did convince for a one year A level course which I am gonna open a thread for it since I need a little advice, very kind of you guys to help me.

Quick Reply

Latest