The Student Room Group

Alternative LPC providers

Hi everyone, I don't know if I will have funding for my LPC, so I'm thinking about my options. I probably won't be able to afford to live in London and I like the idea of living somewhere new for a year but I haven't seen many opinions on places other than the CoL, BPP or Nottingham Law School.

After some research I have found these

Cardiff
Sheffield
Swansea
Aberystwyth
Bristol UWE

Has anyone done the LPC there or studied at those unis?

They are a bit cheaper than BPP and CoL but not much. BPP regionals seem to be about 10k and these unis above range from about 10k at Cardiff, 9,500 at Sheffield down to Swansea at 8,700, UWE and Aber at 8,500. Since the saving isn't much, is it better to take the safe option by choosing the big providers or are these universities just as good? I think the student life and atmosphere at the unis would be nicer? On the other hand maybe less pro bono opportunities :confused:

Thank you to anyone that can help :smile:
Nobody cares very much in terms of reputation.

Very few people fail wherever they study.

The key question is do you have a training contract?

If not, think about the careers services. COL's and BPP's careers services do nothing other than help intending lawyers to secure training contracts and pupillages. In all of these others, you will be one of a very small number of LPC candidates in a large university all of whom need to be helped to find jobs.

Think also about where each institution will have links. Aber's links will be with Welsh Wales. You are not likely to get a training contact in Dolgellau unless you speak Welsh. Sheffield's will be with Yorkshire and the East Midlands.

Look at the practicalities of interviews. Going for an interview in Norwich or London will be a major trek from Aber or Swansea.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
Nobody cares very much in terms of reputation.

Very few people fail wherever they study.

The key question is do you have a training contract?

If not, think about the careers services. COL's and BPP's careers services do nothing other than help intending lawyers to secure training contracts and pupillages. In all of these others, you will be one of a very small number of LPC candidates in a large university all of whom need to be helped to find jobs.

Think also about where each institution will have links. Aber's links will be with Welsh Wales. You are not likely to get a training contact in Dolgellau unless you speak Welsh. Sheffield's will be with Yorkshire and the East Midlands.

Look at the practicalities of interviews. Going for an interview in Norwich or London will be a major trek from Aber or Swansea.

thanks for replying. I haven't got a training contract but I am applying. I know it is not a good idea to start the LPC with out one! The thing is that they sometimes don't pay a lot for the fees or maintenance, I have seen firms that provide 50% loan and 50% busary for the LPC with no grant money to live on. So in that case the careers service wouldn't be important but costs would still matter in my decision.

I am applying to firms all around the country as I am just going on whether the firm appeals to me. I want somewhere friendly with a work life balance but still some prospects as to pay and big clients for example I like Ashfords.

I feel a bit confused finding the right one but fingers crossed I will :tongue: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending