The Student Room Group

How do you remember to take the pill?

I started going on the pill this morning, and I'm paranoid that I will forget to take it!

I have set an alarm on my phone at 6.40 every morning, but my phone goes off so much, I'll probably think it is a text or something and just ignore it!

So how do you remember to take it? Thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

put it next to my make up and i take it whilst getting ready in the morning
I sellotape it to my mascara or toothbrush :biggrin:
Well I have to stick the box to the back of my door, so that I have to walk past them when I get up.. I don't remember to take them otherwise..
Reply 4
Presumably you remember to brush your teeth every morning, at least one hopes that you do. Leave them by your toothbrush to remind yourself?
You don't have to take it at the exact time, but around then would be best. You could take it later and then get used to that so you don't have to wake up, but it just becomes something you get used to. Ofcourse all girls, may forget once in a while, but I remind my girlfriend if she does and then she happily takes it. You could maybe try the same? Ask your boyfriend to make sure you've taken it daily and then kiss him for reminding you and then get on with your day :smile:
Reply 6
Straight before I go to bed! You've got a four hour window every day in which to take it and I generally go to bed from 11-1am so it suits me really well. I've never missed one in two years, but then I'm just really good at remembering. Plus if you take it at night then if you do forget you can just take it the next morning and it'll still be fine :smile:
Original post by Charlotteeee<3
I started going on the pill this morning, and I'm paranoid that I will forget to take it!

I have set an alarm on my phone at 6.40 every morning, but my phone goes off so much, I'll probably think it is a text or something and just ignore it!

My gf puts it next to her toothbrush and toothpaste etc. That's something she does first thing in the morning every morning which for at least 5 days of the week at exactly the same time. She doesn't share her bathroom with anyone though.

Then again maybe if you share a bathroom that could get awkward. Don't forget to take it though, your bf is trusting you to do it and the outcome isn't exactly favourable for you if you don't.
Reply 8

YOU just reminded me to take mine.
Thanks!
I didn't remember it.

I tried keeping it with something I used everyday... I ended up looking straight past it. I tried setting an alarm, but if I was busy I would still forget to take it when I'd finished whatever I was doing. Then I started just carrying a packet with at all times so that I'd take it as soon as I remembered. Seemed sensible, but I then used to forget whether or not I'd already taken it. I gave up relying on reminders and my memory and got the implant.
Set a special alarm on your phone that's different to your text tone. Or just put it in a prominent place every morning - like near your cereal or on your dressing table.

Mine always goes in my knicker drawer because I'm guaranteed to go in there every day :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Excuse me but I never actually said that I wanted to take the pill so I can have sex?

Yeah I assumed you were taking it for sex as well. Sorry my bad.
I don't take the pill but have it on good authority from a friend that keeping it on top of your knickers helps as you're always gonna want to put clean knickers on! Only problem is if you have a pj day!
Reply 13
I take mine before bed, apparently this is the best way for young people to remember and ensure the same time period
Original post by shorty.loves.angels

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
I didn't remember it.

I tried keeping it with something I used everyday... I ended up looking straight past it. I tried setting an alarm, but if I was busy I would still forget to take it when I'd finished whatever I was doing. Then I started just carrying a packet with at all times so that I'd take it as soon as I remembered. Seemed sensible, but I then used to forget whether or not I'd already taken it. I gave up relying on reminders and my memory and got the implant.

Surely you could just look to see if that "day" had been used or not? :confused:

OP I just remember :dontknow: Don't really have any tactic for it, I guess you just need to get into the habit of doing so.
Reply 15
I started setting an alarm for it, but now I just take it as soon as I get up. Its on the shelf just out of my bed, so I see it every morning. I do have to have a drink with it as well, so I just make sure I'm aware of it, and needing to take it. The one time I forgot though, I was running late, and got really scared about it when I remembered that night. So make sure you do it at the same time as something else that you'll never leave the house without doing - otherwise if you're running late, you might forget because you skip out that thing. Does that makes sense?

Apparently as soon as you do something for 60 days or something, it becomes a habit. So even on your off days, get teh box out and just look at it, so that it becomes a habit to do it :smile:
I keep it on my bedside table, and take it 1st thing. Just becomes habit really. I think I've missed it twice in the 3 years I've been on it.
Its handy to keep a pack in your day bag or something, and set a daily alarm on your phone to take it. That way if you remember it then its on you and you can take it within the 12 hour window. Handy for when you struggle to get home. Its always a good thing to do when you're out of routine.
I just kept them in my make up bag, and the rest of the months in my knicker drawer, it'll become habit though :smile:
Reply 18
When I was taking the pill I had an alarm set which when it went off had a message on the screen saying "PILL!" Even so I wasn't 100% as I turned the alarm off the week I wasn't taking it and sometimes forgot to turn it back on. If you're having trouble remembering to take it maybe look into the long term options like the injection (lasts 3 months) or the implant (lasts 3 years). I'm living in China for a year at the moment so I got the implant as I wouldn't have been able to take more than 6 months supply of the pill with me. It's also the most reliable form of contraception if the reason you want it is to protect against pregnancy. The reason I was on the pill and subsequently the implant was to help with the horrible cramps I got every month and it's really done the trick. In fact my periods have pretty much stopped and apparently that happens for about 70% of the women that take it. The implant gets put on the inside of your upper arm and is about the size and shape of a matchstick. It can be taken out at any time before the 3 years is up and you return to normal as soon as it's taken out, not affecting fertility in anyway. It's a great option to look into if you frequently forget to take the pill.

There's really no excuse NOT to take it though. If you want (or don't want as the case may be) something badly enough, you will do it, and rememeber to do it correctly.

When I had really bad acne, I had to take tablets at approximately the same time every day otherwise they wouldn't work. It was a 6 month treatment, and I managed to take it every single day at the right time. I 'remembered' because I put the box of tablets on top of the sugar cannister in the kitchen, and I eat cereal every morning, so obviously when I went to put sugar on my cereal, I would have to pick up the box of tablets. T'was 100% effective for me:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending