The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Execution. There is no hope for them.
Reply 21
In year 8 we're pretty naive naturally, so I think that's a bit harsh to immediately put them in a 'one size fits all retard' group which are extremely hard to get out of. I somewhat agree with you nevertheless.

Not only is there a lack of understanding of there fortunate happenstance and the need to learn certain things. But also other factors that cause them to behave like this, such as: attention seeking. Perhaps they need to be educated about these things and how they are ultimately, a bunch of dickheads.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Shoe to the face?
Reply 23
I find this only happens in secondary school, because the education is compulsory hence you have children who have to be there but don't want to be there. This issue is gone in sixth form :smile:

to get rid of the bad behaviour I would suggest that teachers identify the bad pupils and remove them, but then again secondary school teachers...

good teachers can also control the pupil and motivate them to learn.

I disagree with all the nazi methods mentioned in this thread, it's just not realistic.
In our high school they had classes of people who wanted to learn, chatty people and then plain disruptive people. I don't know how on Earth they managed to do it but I have to say I was in the geek class & it was actually really boring once the trouble makers had been taken out!!! But we did learn more, haha.
Original post by im so academic
Wait a second, just because you do not understand, it does NOT give you the right to mess about.

You shut up and ask for help.

Why the **** should a teacher help someone who misbehaves?

Did I say that not understanding gives you the right to mess about?

Don't think I did.....

I just think that a child will be failed by the system if you give them **** teacher or expelling them. It is better to nurture the kid and find out why they mess about as there might be underlying issues like problems at home or simple show gloating that could be sorted out. If you think they should simply be kicked out you have no respect for society as a whole and you're selfishly only bothered about your own interests. I know some really kind teachers that help students become more productive and less distracted in lessons.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Why do most people who are saying it disrupts learning coming across as some Orwellian slaves who are opposed to the agenda being disrupted by those unable to serve the masters..?

'we must learn, those that disrupt the learning must be punished!'

If the 'disruptive kid is bored, thats a natural reaction and something that cannot be seen as a punishable offense. Find out why kids are bored and give them more options so they can find a place in this world rather than becoming an empty vessel working a dead end 9 - 5 because they couldn't find anything fun to do in school and/or rely on the weekend/fights/drinks/girls/football/excessive drug use/job seekers/housing benefits to try and find some enjoyment in life.

Obviously kids need a base learning of certain subjects to communicate, work out basic sums on a day to day basis or to have some idea of how the world we live on works but there needs to be more nurture and reason and less blanket punishment IMO.
Reply 27
They should be told to pay attention or GTFO.
Trust me, that's not how it works. You assume only one misbehaves. Usually there's a group who are misbehaving. You're saying to chuck out the lot of them?
Wait a second, just because you do not understand, it does NOT give you the right to mess about.

Exactly. If you don't understand, you need the time you spend ******* around to go over the material again.
Original post by rugbyladosc
I just think that a child will be failed by the system if you give them **** teacher or expelling them.

That doesn't mean they should mess about. If you have a **** teacher, get some initiative and educate yourself (if it has to come down to it).

It is better to nurture the kid and find out why they mess about as there might be underlying issues like problems at home or simple show gloating that could be sorted out.

What? Regardless of problems at home, there is simply NO reason for messing about. Children need to learn to show respect, whoever you are.

If you think they should simply be kicked out you have no respect for society as a whole and you're selfishly only bothered about your own interests.

Yes I am. Education is about yourself. You are given an education; use it. Why the **** should society respect them if they don't respect society?

I know some really kind teachers that help students become more productive and less distracted in lessons.

And?

You're an idiot.

Just because you've led a pampered life and are (apparently) intelligent, it doesn't mean it's the same for every student. Put yourself in their position - they're having to learn about things that they can't comprehend, and if they want to catch up with the rest of the class, they'll have to work hard in their own time. Quite often, they'll have no desire to pursue academia and will instead follow a vocational path, for which they won't need any/many GCSEs. They want to enjoy their childhood with their mates instead of working much harder than you or I would have to in order to understand what might appear simple.

Now I'm not saying that this is the right, but it's the teacher's job to encourage the children to learn for the sake of learning. If the teacher fails to make the subject interesting, then naturally, many in the class will misbehave. That's 'why the ****' a teacher should help someone who misbehaves.
Original post by rugbyladosc
What elitist bull****

Some kids mess about because they just don't understand the lessons. Giving these kids **** teachers will be detrimental.

Why waste good teachers on people who will not listen to them?
Original post by d4nny

Original post by d4nny
Exactly. If you don't understand, you need the time you spend ******* around to go over the material again.

Actually, from current experience, they just need to focus and put a bit of effort into it.

Just because they say they don't understand it, it doesn't necessarily make that true. Did they put 100% effort into understanding it? Did they research that topic? Did they even ask for help? Did they spend some time trying to find out other solutions?

Sometimes a **** teacher can do a class justice - better to find out your own solutions and and worth through them, rather than being spoonfed the answers from the teacher.
How should we deal with them?

"Haow, mate, you! Yeah, you waving your arms about like a cross between a pterodactyl and an iguana, F*ck off out my class."
Reply 35
In a lot of classes it's usually just a couple of people who are leading the disruption even it sometimes appears to be the whole class. When those people are absent then the class is usually a lot better behaved.

Those people should be removed from the class at the beginning of the lesson and put in an older class where they haven't got an audience and be made to get on with their work in silence. Yes, they'll miss out on a bit of teaching but they would still miss out if they were in the class because they would be disrupting the class.

This works pretty well in my school, with the younger years (its the younger ones who tend to behave badly). Though obviously it wouldn't work in a school where an entire class was badly behaved.
Original post by midpikyrozziy
You're an idiot.

Just because you've led a pampered life and are (apparently) intelligent, it doesn't mean it's the same for every student. Put yourself in their position - they're having to learn about things that they can't comprehend, and if they want to catch up with the rest of the class, they'll have to work hard in their own time. Quite often, they'll have no desire to pursue academia and will instead follow a vocational path, for which they won't need any/many GCSEs. They want to enjoy their childhood with their mates instead of working much harder than you or I would have to in order to understand what might appear simple.

Now I'm not saying that this is the right, but it's the teacher's job to encourage the children to learn for the sake of learning. If the teacher fails to make the subject interesting, then naturally, many in the class will misbehave. That's 'why the ****' a teacher should help someone who misbehaves.

Then why should they bring the rest of the class, some of whom will want to go into academia, down with them?
kicking them out of school WILL NOT help.

i was one of them "disruptive" kids. i would talk all the time, mess about, play games, not listen, walk out of the room,. argue with the teachers...
i dont know why i did it, but i regret it.

but then a saviour came to my rescue. i got help, i was put on voluntary report, stopped messing about in the majority of lessons, as i realised i was on my last ever chance, possibly in education ever.

what education needs is a few teachers in each school that understand kids that do this sort of thing. they dont look down on them, they dont kick them out of lessons or school. they help them because that was them when they were at school.

if i didnt get the support i needed then i wouldnt be at uni now. i wouldnt be doing youth and community work, to try and help those kids that you want to kick out of sschool.

but i guess youll never understand because you wernt one of those kids that just needed that extra in school.
Actually, from current experience, they just need to focus and put a bit of effort into it.

They don't though, do they?
It is a tough question. Once you get to A level I think anyone who disrupts lesson should be instantly kicked out but I have never really experianced disruptions in sixth form because our college is so relaxed on attendance so if you don't want to be there you don't really have to be. However, at school I was in classes where not one person, myself included, was interested in learning. I was never disruptive myself but there were many disruptive kids but at the time I was quite happy to laugh along with it all rather than worry about my grades. If you kicked out the main disrupter somebody else would step up and disrupt just as much as he did. I think a lot of the time teachers bring it upon themselves and the best policy would be to just not engage these kids in a debate. For example somebody would get caught eating in class and the teacher would say stop eating and they would say I wasn't even eating, then they would go on arguing until the teacher said get out. They would often refuse so the teacher has to go and call for a senior member of staff to come down and collected them. Before you no it 15 minutes of the lesson has gone. If the teacher didn't comment on the eating at the time and dealt with it accordingly after the lesson all that tme would have been saved. The same goes for jewellary or trainer wearers, there is no point in tackling the issue in the middle of a lesson when the teacher knows it will be disruptive. If the teacher just ignores the attension seekers I can't really think of anything too disruptive they can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending