The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Whistle
Thanks for the info, sounds great! Did you apply straight away when the accommodation opened and was Bill Mo your 1st choice?

I applied instantly and Bill Mo was my first choice. The Bill Mo rooms went SO quickly that my friend who logged on moments after me couldn't get Bill Mo and is now in Harry French- so if you do decide to go for Bill Mo, be QUICK.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 41
Bakewell, lacking social life? Don't be silly.

Seriously.

Bakewell was my first (and really, only) choice and I am so glad I got a room here. Huge beds, huge desk, huge wardrobe, loads of shelf space, lovely en suite, great kitchens and amazing people. There's 400 people living here - you're bound to find quite a few friends very quickly.

And while it may be situated at one end of the campus, it will literally take you two minutes to walk up to the library (believe me, this is a good thing), and if you're going into the Engineering, Maths or Information Science departments, all three are right next door. 3 minute walk to one of the on-campus shops, 10 minute walk to the Union. Loughborough is a huge campus - you walk everywhere anyway, so this won't bother you for long at all.

And if you want to get into town, there are bus-stops outside the library and the Engineering department, and you'll be sitting in McDonald's within 15 minutes (without having to walk there).

Bakewell is really popular, so if you're going to apply, do it quickly. Just like Bill Mo, rooms go fast, and this year there has been an over-abundance of returners applying to get back in, which as vienna224 pointed out, says a lot about the hall.

Plus, the building is at this point only 3 years old, so everything is still fresh and nice. I don't know about you, but I love knowing that only person has lived in my room before me.

Bakewell really is an amazing place to live, and I definitely recommend it :smile:
Mind if I copy that into the first post? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Mind if I copy that into the first post? :smile:

What, mine? No, go ahead :smile:
Reply 44
I know that it seems that Bill Mo is the "best" halls but I was leaning more towards Butler Court being close to LUSAD, union etc... anyone got any advice on Butler?
Original post by r05hni
I know that it seems that Bill Mo is the "best" halls but I was leaning more towards Butler Court being close to LUSAD, union etc... anyone got any advice on Butler?

It's alright if you get on with your room mate (or were you thinking going for a single?) and it's nice to pretty much make a friend as soon as you move in. The rooms are a decent size (even if you share - I envy the people who get a single en-suite, it'd be huge for one person). Kitchens are a decent size, might be pushed for cupboard space depending on how you shop.

On a side note, the hall committee this year is really good, know all the good nights in Loughborough so your socials will be great in freshers.

And just hope you don't get stuck in the building that has all the fire alarms like me. Someone in C or D block (they're adjoined) managed to set some part of their kitchen on fire every 6 weeks or so.
Reply 46
Original post by Wednesday Bass
It's alright if you get on with your room mate (or were you thinking going for a single?) and it's nice to pretty much make a friend as soon as you move in. The rooms are a decent size (even if you share - I envy the people who get a single en-suite, it'd be huge for one person). Kitchens are a decent size, might be pushed for cupboard space depending on how you shop.

On a side note, the hall committee this year is really good, know all the good nights in Loughborough so your socials will be great in freshers.

And just hope you don't get stuck in the building that has all the fire alarms like me. Someone in C or D block (they're adjoined) managed to set some part of their kitchen on fire every 6 weeks or so.

hey thank you for the advice! Because of pricing (because I'll be doing an art foundation meaning I can't get a loan first year), I was thinking of sharing because I know I definitely want an ensuite and what probably be the cheapest option near to my building.
Original post by r05hni
hey thank you for the advice! Because of pricing (because I'll be doing an art foundation meaning I can't get a loan first year), I was thinking of sharing because I know I definitely want an ensuite and what probably be the cheapest option near to my building.

Ahh yeah, I know a few people doing an art foundation based in Butler because you'll be in the college which is literally across the road from here. It'll be a 5 minute walk (at most).
Reply 48
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Ahh yeah, I know a few people doing an art foundation based in Butler because you'll be in the college which is literally across the road from here. It'll be a 5 minute walk (at most).

that's perfect, because when I went to the open day the library was quite far but then I figured tbh I will need to be nearer LUSAD more than the library for the facilities!
Reply 49
Just firmed Loughborough to study economics starting this October, no idea which halls to go for! Is it better to go catered or self catered in first year? What is the best hall to go for if you want to have a good party but also the best at sport? I've heard faraday are pretty good for sport but not too sure if I like the look of the rooms in there?*
Reply 50
I've just firmed Loughborough and baffled with all the information I'm getting about accommodation! So, wheres the best place to stay if studying graphic communication?!
Original post by gibob
I've just firmed Loughborough and baffled with all the information I'm getting about accommodation! So, wheres the best place to stay if studying graphic communication?!

Towers/Butler/Bill Mo are all pretty close. But tbh, as long as you're not out in DC, you're no more than a 25minute walk in any hall.
Reply 52
Original post by Phobia27
Here's some pics I took a while ago of Bill Mo and put them up on the Accommodation pic thread -

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700078.jpg/
http://img148.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700080.jpg/
http://img141.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700081.jpg/
http://img232.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700082.jpg/

It's Bill Mo ensuite room, however all Bill Mo rooms are very similar to this, minus the ensuite :p:

Thanks for the photos.
Reply 53
How do you know when the accomodation application opens? Do you get an email on the day or do you know in advance? Also does it open at the same time for all firm choice undergraduates?
Reply 54
Original post by Beth_F

Original post by Beth_F
How do you know when the accomodation application opens? Do you get an email on the day or do you know in advance? Also does it open at the same time for all firm choice undergraduates?

You should get an e-mail telling you which day you can apply (a few days/weeks before). I believe they do different days for each course, to help reduce the load on the booking system. They distribute all rooms fairly between each group, so don't worry if you're in the last group and nothing will be left!
Original post by Beth_F

For the past two years it's been around either the end of May/beginning of June if I recall correctly..

(according to rumour) They like to allocate a set number of places in each hall to your course (so they're not full of people only doing certain courses and everyone gets a fair chance) and also unconditional students don't get priority, but don't panic if you're applying for accommodation on a different day to your friend - but do make sure you get the right day!
Original post by Melting Sugar.
For the past two years it's been around either the end of May/beginning of June if I recall correctly..

End of May for people with an unconditional offer, early June for people with a conditional offer. :smile:
Original post by Michel Foucault
Just a small correction on sth I noticed in the OP: Towers has no ensuites, and I'm fairly sure that Harry French doesn't either.

Great thread though OP!

Corrected, thanks. :smile:
When it says for BillMo 'rooms available throughout the term of let' for 39 weeks, does that mean that you have to take things out at xmas and easter? As it says the same for RiggRut and Bakewell but for 41 weeks? x
Original post by Rachel_Leah
When it says for BillMo 'rooms available throughout the term of let' for 39 weeks, does that mean that you have to take things out at xmas and easter? As it says the same for RiggRut and Bakewell but for 41 weeks? x

When it says that, it means you don't have to clear out your rooms in the holidays like you do with the catered halls.

Latest

Trending

Trending