The Student Room Group

Modest for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As an example, Liverpool, when scoring your grades, only count 9 of your GCSE's, and A&A* is worth the same
(edited 13 years ago)
you need at least 5A*'s to stand out, with min A in english maths and all science...
Reply 22
Original post by Limesasquatch
you need at least 5A*'s to stand out, with min A in english maths and all science...

You don't necessarily need 5A*s to get in...
Original post by Wangers
You don't necessarily need 5A*s to get in...

true, nor does having 5 get you in.
mine: 3A* 5A 1B
Reply 25
Original post by Limesasquatch

No-one ever stands out by their GCSEs. With the exception of a few universities, they're just another checkbox for the minimum requirements.
Reply 26
the sad thing is, once you get to uni, nobody cares...
Reply 27
Original post by Jimmypenny
As an example, Liverpool, when scoring your grades, only count 7 of your GCSE's, and A&A* is worth the same

Edit that to 9; do not spew misinformation.
Reply 28
Original post by SteveCrain
Edit that to 9; do not spew misinformation.

Physician, heal thyself
Reply 29
Original post by hmon93
I'm so glad to see that someone with similar GCSEs to me has an offer.

:banana:
Reply 30
Original post by arunadindane
Congratulations on your offer for Soton 5000 applicants this year, but if you don't mind mind me asking why do you reckon you got rejections from your other unis?

Cheers man! :biggrin:

Sounds like a lot of applicants, doesn't it! If I'm honest I think it was because of my academics, not the GCSE's so much, more the fact I applied with ABBC at AS. Universities would have thought better of me if I'd had better AS results and GCSES. Mine were definitely both, below average for a medicine application. :s-smilie:

I do think that my PS was ****ing epic though! That is what got me the offer! Make sure you nail the PS and UKCAT! :awesome:
Reply 31
Original post by Normandy114
Ah unlucky about Glasgow, are you reapplying? And yes, UKCAT is going to be a major focus in a couple months time, just got a few AS levels to focus on then all my attention will be focussed on doing well in the UKCAT and making a good PS.

To add, sheffield more or less interview everyone above a certain UKCAT. Also something you might want to consider is taking the BMAT as a great score on that would be good for UCL (my firm this year)
Original post by Beska
Physician, heal thyself

Don't worry, I got it....:rolleyes:
Reply 33
Original post by Tetanus
Cheers man! :biggrin:

Sounds like a lot of applicants, doesn't it! If I'm honest I think it was because of my academics, not the GCSE's so much, more the fact I applied with ABBC at AS. Universities would have thought better of me if I'd had better AS results and GCSES. Mine were definitely both, below average for a medicine application. :s-smilie:

I do think that my PS was ****ing epic though! That is what got me the offer! Make sure you nail the PS and UKCAT! :awesome:

send me your PS
Reply 34
I have very modest GCSE's, but my friend who got 2A*s and 7A's got into barts and newcastle, but I got rejected because of my UKCAT score and PS, my lowest section was 570 and I got 7/10 for that and if I got 10/10 I would have got an interview for leicester, or if I got a slightly better PS and reference, academics didn't affect me too much, just slightly below.
Reply 35
me, 3A*s 6 As, I consider them modest as most medical schools ( birmingham and oxford love them!) look at A-level predictions. I did get two interviews though
Haha, someone I know is trying to apply with 4/5As and 5Bs.
Original post by Clewsy
Modest cuts it. A friend of mine has 2 A*s, a few As, few Bs and a C and currently has two offers and one interview. I think as long as you have As in your sciences and don't apply to GCSE mad universities (Oxford, Birmingham, Kings and to an extent George's and Liverpool) you'll be fine.

Liverpool score you out of 15 on your top 9 gcses, with 2 points for an A or A*, and one for a B.

So you could get 6As and 3Bs and make it past their GCSE screening. Supposedly, that's the last of their GCSE requirements/consideration, so with that in mind, Liverpool are one of the not-GCSE heavy universities?
Reply 38
Original post by Straight up G
Liverpool score you out of 15 on your top 9 gcses, with 2 points for an A or A*, and one for a B.

So you could get 6As and 3Bs and make it past their GCSE screening. Supposedly, that's the last of their GCSE requirements/consideration, so with that in mind, Liverpool are one of the not-GCSE heavy universities?

Some universities barely consider your GCSEs. Newcastle even say the quite like it when someone does poor in GCSEs but well in A Levels because it shows that they are improving.
Original post by Clewsy
Some universities barely consider your GCSEs. Newcastle even say the quite like it when someone does poor in GCSEs but well in A Levels because it shows that they are improving.

Either way, a requirement of 6As and 3Bs is not GCSE heavy in the slightest, considering some of the figures bandied about for med applicants (average successful applicant has 7A*s etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending