The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7960
Right. Fine. Whatever. We probably won't win the league this season, and that's fine. There are places where we really need to improve, and that's all right. There have been places where we have definitely improved, and we look likely to finish the highest we have for a couple of seasons now; that's brilliant.

I'm not looking to next season just yet. I'm still looking forward to Blackpool away next week.

:arsenal:
Reply 7961
Original post by Abiraleft
Right. Fine. Whatever. We probably won't win the league this season, and that's fine. There are places where we really need to improve, and that's all right. There have been places where we have definitely improved, and we look likely to finish the highest we have for a couple of seasons now; that's brilliant.

I'm not looking to next season just yet. I'm still looking forward to Blackpool away next week.

:arsenal:

Arsexual
Tbh I think since the Nou Camp and CC Final, the team's mental strength has just gone down the drain. Have we even won a match since? Wenger is a great manager but he seems to have no clue as to how to instil belief into the team. Added to the fact that Cesc is not a motivational leader, when things stop going our way, the team collapses. The same thing happened last season - a couple of bad results at Barcelona and Birmingham totally ****ed the team over. Almunia in goal hasn't helped, he needs to be gotten rid of asap.

There is still a slight chance of winning the league, we just have to win all our games. If Man U lose to us and Chelsea and draw one other. Not impossible. But I think the team is too ****ed over mentally now to pull off any decent performances. We're just too fragile atm to win anything.

I do think that tactically, our system doesn't work when Cesc isn't there, and Cesc isn't there quite a lot at the moment. I think it'd be worth trying a 4-4-2 when Cesc is injured, but perhaps not against the bigger teams, but against Blackburn for example.

--------------------------Sceszny-----------------------------
--Sagna-------Djourou------Vermaelen-----------Clichy
--Walcott------Song---------Wilshere-----------Nasri----
----------------------Chamakh--RVP-------------------------
Reply 7963
JK.
OP
I see the idea behind doing that, but I think I'd rather switch to a 4-1-3-2 which becomes a sort of MW formation on the attack:

-Szczesny-
-Djourou---Vermaelen-
-Sagna--------Song--------Clichy-
-Nasri------Wilshere------Arshavin-
-RvP------------
------------Chamakh-

Against the weaker sides I reckon something like that could potentially work. On the attack you've got Clichy and Sagna to push on down the sides and Nasri and Arsh join a 4 man attack. I guess the obvious weakness you'd point out is the possibility of being outnumbered and overrun in midfield, but once Song comes up next to Jack, and RvP drops back in - something he's definitely capable of doing, we're back to a 5 man midfield with Song defensive, Jack defensive/link man and RvP the creative point to look for. You could even look at Nasri coming back narrow and switch RvP wide if necessary, not sure it would be though. Tbh, I still prefer the 4-2-3-1 but rather than just shoving all our strikers on in some hope they'll do something, I'd like to see us try something a bit more like that at times when we're struggling to break sides down.
Original post by TommyWannabe
Do you ever think you'll get over your self-perceived air of importance and superiority?

You are categorically wrong time and time again. You slag off people like me and Zizali, yet you are constantly proven to be completely hopeless when it comes to footballing knowledge.

Every year you come out with the same crap, then every year you just go quiet when your masterplan inevitably fails.

Thankfully, most others have stopped falling for this rubbish. You selectively ignored their posts as well, however.

So come on RobbieC, tell us all what you were right about this season, or last season for that matter. Also, tell me and Zizali where we were wrong.
Another copy and paste from your crying game archive, yet more blathering about knowledge and being right. Bloo bloo, abloo-a-bloo-blah!!! Unbelievable.

I can only say that both you and Zizali do nothing as 'supporters' but swoop in for the post-game carcass destruction, which frankly involves no possibility of being incorrect.

You never speculate, you never make a hopeful wish, you never dare to dream. You are not Arsenal fans. You are just negative, boring individuals who want nothing more than to annihilate meaningful discussion with your crying.

Sure I can be wrong, and I can be heartbroken - not this season so far where I predicted we would finish 2nd, by the way. But I can also experience joy and love a victory. I can feel and experience the good/bad/ugly in life.

You are withered husk and you are nothing of consequence. Sort yourself out.
Reply 7965
Original post by T.Adams VI
Bendtner = Bent is not as stupid as you may think. Bendtner manage 15 goals from a bench role a couple of seasons ago. He suits a system with target strikers. I've seen enough of him to confidently say, in a physical side, he can do everything that Bent is capable of. I don't rate Bent (just like I don't rate most english players) so clearly I don't really rate Bendtner either. But getting 20 goals in another side, wouldn't be impossible for Bendtner. Which is what Bent is averageing now while not offering anthing else.

Haha I cannot believe that you actually believe that tbh. But whatever, cba dragging this on, I'm pretty sure you're in a very small minority that would believe that statement.
Reply 7966
Original post by RobbieC
Another copy and paste from your crying game archive, yet more blathering about knowledge and being right. Bloo bloo, abloo-a-bloo-blah!!! Unbelievable.

I can only say that both you and Zizali do nothing as 'supporters' but swoop in for the post-game carcass destruction, which frankly involves no possibility of being incorrect.

You never speculate, you never make a hopeful wish, you never dare to dream. You are not Arsenal fans. You are just negative, boring individuals who want nothing more than to annihilate meaningful discussion with your crying.

Sure I can be wrong, and I can be heartbroken - not this season so far where I predicted we would finish 2nd, by the way. But I can also experience joy and love a victory. I can feel and experience the good/bad/ugly in life.

You are withered husk and you are nothing of consequence. Sort yourself out.

What a pathetic statement.
Original post by JK.
What has this thread descended into. :facepalm2:
The Arsenal thread amuses me more than anything, MoMatrix started it off with his usual Arsenal need to buy 11 world class players, and it end up here due to peoples definition of world class and Arsenal fan's refusal to see their squad as other fans do, and tbh to give other teams in the league some credit rather than just seeing them a **** munchers who should just roll over and let you win with their average players.

Original post by R-KAM
Ther term World Class being dished out to the likes of King, Dawson and Defoe :facepalm2:
IMO, King and Dawson are on the verge, I can't think of many CB other than legends like Puyol & Nesta who you could say are streets ahead, in performances rather than reputation with neither of those are going to have with Spurs. Many consider Vidic to be world class, I don't think as a United fan he is much better than either of those. I stand by the fact Defoe is a world class finisher, I'm not the only person to say that.
Reply 7968
Original post by doggyfizzel
The Arsenal thread amuses me more than anything, MoMatrix started it off with his usual Arsenal need to buy 11 world class players, and it end up here due to peoples definition of world class and Arsenal fan's refusal to see their squad as other fans do, and tbh to give other teams in the league some credit rather than just seeing them a **** munchers who should just roll over and let you win with their average players.

IMO, King and Dawson are on the verge, I can't think of many CB other than legends like Puyol & Nesta who you could say are streets ahead, in performances rather than reputation with neither of those are going to have with Spurs. Many consider Vidic to be world class, I don't think as a United fan he is much better than either of those. I stand by the fact Defoe is a world class finisher, I'm not the only person to say that.

I'm telling you Arsenal need 4 players in the summer otherwise more of the same next season. Options off the bench are piss poor and key-players are injury prone. United know Hargreaves is injury prone so they have good players to cover his absence.Arsenal know Van Persie misses on average 3 months of the season yet do not have a second striker.
Original post by MoMatrix
What a pathetic statement.
Lazy.

Try again, or better still, piss off.
Original post by JK.
I see the idea behind doing that, but I think I'd rather switch to a 4-1-3-2 which becomes a sort of MW formation on the attack:

-Szczesny-
-Djourou---Vermaelen-
-RvP------------
------------Chamakh-

Against the weaker sides I reckon something like that could potentially work. On the attack you've got Clichy and Sagna to push on down the sides and Nasri and Arsh join a 4 man attack. I guess the obvious weakness you'd point out is the possibility of being outnumbered and overrun in midfield, but once Song comes up next to Jack, and RvP drops back in - something he's definitely capable of doing, we're back to a 5 man midfield with Song defensive, Jack defensive/link man and RvP the creative point to look for. You could even look at Nasri coming back narrow and switch RvP wide if necessary, not sure it would be though. Tbh, I still prefer the 4-2-3-1 but rather than just shoving all our strikers on in some hope they'll do something, I'd like to see us try something a bit more like that at times when we're struggling to break sides down.

Tbh I'd rather go with Walcott upfront instead of Chamakh alongside RVP (who naturally will play deeper and link play). He's the only player who really creates space and when you play the football we do (or try to), you need movement and space. His finishing is improving and frankly without Cesc in our team you're wondering who can create a chance and Walcott allows chances to be made whereas Chamakh will only pass it back into the midfield and slow the whole game down.
The only reason I think for playing Chamakh is that we end up crossing it in the end but that's only cos there's nothing else on. RVP isn't really a 6 yards goal poacher either and I think that's something we desperately need.

There wouldn't be any problems with that midfield. I'd imagine both Jack and Song don't join in the attack too much and the two of them could probably beat any CM pairing in the league.
Reply 7971
Original post by RobbieC
Lazy.

Try again, or better still, piss off.

Not going to waste my breath with you. You clearly haven't got a clue.TSR full of people like you who portray themselves as condescending despite having no real substance to what you actually say.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JK.

-Szczesny-
-Djourou---Vermaelen-
-RvP------------
------------Chamakh-

I think that is a good idea, if Wenger would embrace that style is another thing, not really and Arsenal/Barca style with 2 out and out strikers, also dropping RVP into midfield is not a good idea. Although Chamakh needs to be deployed more, no team can cut out the danger posed by a big man in the box and some well placed crosses.
Original post by MoMatrix
Not going to waste my breath with you. You clearly haven't got a clue.TSR full of people like you who portray themselves as condescending despite having no real substance to what you actually say.
You put in ****, you get out ****. That's life, so I'd get used to it.

You want to see some intelligent, thoughtful response, then try creating a proper discussion or debate.

Mindless trolling will yield nought but mindless put-downs. Not that I don't enjoy it...
No (fit) Cesc, no Arsenal. All too predictable, formation just doesn't function without him yet painfully Arsene will still persist with it over and over
Original post by Deshi
Haha I cannot believe that you actually believe that tbh. But whatever, cba dragging this on, I'm pretty sure you're in a very small minority that would believe that statement.

The thing is I don't rate either players. People slagged off Ade when Henry was here, but once he was given the chance he banged in 30 goals in his first full season without Henry. I didn't believe he could do it at the time, but I'm sure Wenger did. People would have said Wenger was in the minority in the fact that he felt Ade was a top striker.

Bendtner is exactly similar, I don't rate him as a player, but I do believe he can get goals, like Bent does. 15 goals in a season from a bench role is one of the reasons I beleive this. Bent doesn't offer nothing else but goals, and if Bendtner is capable of a 20 goal season, then he has proven he is just as good as Bent. I think he can produce those figures, hence why I feel he is of similar quality to Bent. The fact that neither players add more to a game than goals, limits how highly I can rate either of them.

Bent flopped at Spurs, and is fairly average for England, which further shows he is incapable of playing well at fairly decent sides. On the other hand Bendtner has been one of Denmark's better players.
What I want next summer:

3 of Denilson/Diaby/Rosicky/Vela/Squillaci sold. (they're all as equally as bad as each other in their different ways)

Almunia/Fabianski sold

Ramsey needs to feature heavily in the team.

Walcott turned into a striker. He has had enough trainining on the wing.

A new back-up GK for Scezny.

A new CB, to add competition to Vermaelen/Koscielny/Djourou. (preferably of a Russian/eastern-european mould)

2-3 average RELIABLE players added to the side.

More discipline. Players are dropped ruthlessly when they put in below-par performances.

Much more squad rotation with the new reliable players, which should reduce the amount of injuries our key players have without sacrificing our performances.

4-4-2 should ALWAYS be used against the top sides, and we should NEVER use a high-line against United.

A plan B when 4-3-3 isn't working. My solution would be:

Scezny

Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Clichy

Nasri Fabregas Song Arshavin

Walcott RvP

With RvP dropping off Walcott. The balls from Cesc to Walcott would be :coma:
Reply 7977
The thing is I don't rate either players. People slagged off Ade when Henry was here, but once he was given the chance he banged in 30 goals in his first full season without Henry. I didn't believe he could do it at the time, but I'm sure Wenger did. People would have said Wenger was in the minority in the fact that he felt Ade was a top striker.

Bendtner is exactly similar, I don't rate him as a player, but I do believe he can get goals, like Bent does. 15 goals in a season from a bench role is one of the reasons I beleive this. Bent doesn't offer nothing else but goals, and if Bendtner is capable of a 20 goal season, then he has proven he is just as good as Bent. I think he can produce those figures, hence why I feel he is of similar quality to Bent. The fact that neither players add more to a game than goals, limits how highly I can rate either of them.

Bent flopped at Spurs, and is fairly average for England, which further shows he is incapable of playing well at fairly decent sides. On the other hand Bendtner has been one of Denmark's better players.

Haha we are going to have to agree to disagree because I personally believe being a striker at Arsenal is a lot easier than being one elsewhere considering the amount of chances you create in a game. The amount of chances Bendtner misses is embarassing, especially compared to Bent, which is what a striker is there for. If you also watch Bent he holds the play up incredibly well. I'd love to see a stat for converted chances, because I am 99% sure Bent would absolutely own Bendtner.

And I don't see how Bendtner being one of the better Denmark players means considering Denmark aren't a very good side, their captain is Poulsen ffs :colonhash:

I think you should just drop this. Bent is good player, he consistently scores which is the only thing a striker must do. He didn't flop at Tottenham, he had a poor first season, and a decent second season. 18 goals in 60 apps, not far of RVP's record for Arsenal. Bendtner's record which you speak of was 15 goal in 50 apps in all comps, 9 in 31 was his league and that was one season.

Bendtner isn't bad, he has potential, but Bent is currently a better player by a margin.
Reply 7979

Personally I think Arsenal need a striker like Bent but that is just my opinion. You seem to play down the importance of having a fox in the box striker they are a valuable commodity. Van Nistelrooy used to do it for United and now Hernandez.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest