The Student Room Group

Nerves and Synapses

(c) Explain how transmission of information in the nervous system may be modified by summation. (4 marks)

I'm not sure. I know its something to do with temporal/spatial summation, is the question something to do with neurotransmitters. What is it asking and how would I go about explaining it?

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
Original post by Eloades11
(c) Explain how transmission of information in the nervous system may be modified by summation. (4 marks)

I'm not sure. I know its something to do with temporal/spatial summation, is the question something to do with neurotransmitters. What is it asking and how would I go about explaining it?

Thanks for any help

Hmm, did this exam in January, think i remember...but dont quote me on this...

Summation can either excite the postsynaptic neurone, or inhibit it, therefore having a say wether an action potential is transmitted....spatial summation can act from many neurones to a single one (or other way round), and temporal is the frequency of action potentials (?) ...

Think the question is basically trying to ask how summation acts and the job it does....Hope it helps, but im pretty sure i just wrote a load of rubbish :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SteveBwfc
Hmm, did this exam in January, think i remember...but dont quote me on this...

Summation can either excite the postsynaptic neurone, or inhibit it, therefore having a say wether an action potential is transmitted....spatial summation can act from many neurones to a single one (or other way round), and temporal is the frequency of action potentials (?) ...

Think the question is basically trying to ask how summation acts and the job it does....Hope it helps, but im pretty sure i just wrote a load of rubbish :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: Its better than no reply and very useful
Original post by Eloades11

Thanks for any help

role of summation;spacial summation (inhibitory or excitatory); temporal summation would seem appropriate? (?presynaptic modulation if you do it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending