The Student Room Group

Modest for Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Straight up G
Either way, a requirement of 6As and 3Bs is not GCSE heavy in the slightest, considering some of the figures bandied about for med applicants (average successful applicant has 7A*s etc).

Compared to places like Birmingham, no it's not. But I've heard of at least one person on TSR who was rejected from Liverpool because of his GCSEs and many more must be, because otherwise why would they set that entry requirement if everybody met or exceeded it?

My point being that if the OP is worried about his GCSEs, he needs to bear in mind that Liverpool take it into account before the interview stage.
Original post by Clewsy
Compared to places like Birmingham, no it's not. But I've heard of at least one person on TSR who was rejected from Liverpool because of his GCSEs and many more must be, because otherwise why would they set that entry requirement if everybody met or exceeded it?

My point being that if the OP is worried about his GCSEs, he needs to bear in mind that Liverpool take it into account before the interview stage.

'Modest cuts it. A friend of mine has 2 A*s, a few As, few Bs and a C and currently has two offers and one interview. I think as long as you have As in your sciences and don't apply to GCSE mad universities (Oxford, Birmingham, Kings and to an extent George's and Liverpool) you'll be fine.'

OP has 2A*s 7As 1B and perhaps one or two more A*s, I remember reading a different thread he made, not that I expected you to know this, seeing as he didn't write this in his OP.

Most Med schools do take GCSEs into account before interview, whether they do it in the form of screening, or as a cumulative thing (including reference, PS, Ukcat etc too). According to an admissions tutor at Nottingham I've met before, most med schools do take into account GCSEs far more than they actually say in their entry requirements, ie, they might say 6Bs or 6A-Cs in their prospectuses, but it will still be highly unlikely if anyone with the minimum requirements meets the shortlist for interview.

Taking all that into account, what you wrote about, hinting that Liverpool place some high level of requirement on GCSEs is wrong imo. Perhaps you know a lot of people who got rejected from Liverpool as a result of GCSEs because a lot of people with modest GCSEs applied to Liverpool, thinking that they are fairly lax on it.
Reply 42

Taking all that into account, what you wrote about, hinting that Liverpool place some high level of requirement on GCSEs is wrong imo

Why would anyone give credit to an opinion on this matter when the GCSE criteria is listed on the TSR wiki?

Liverpool take the top 9 GCSEs, and tally 2 points for an A or A*. 15 points is said to suffice, and that would account for 1 or 2 Bs. Bear it in mind though, that they interview from the top downwards.
i probably got one of the lowest gcse grades

0.5 A*
5.5As
2bs
and a pass in cisco ipro

got into medicine and had a second interview

If i could go back i would slap myself and tell myself to never play maple story -__-
Original post by SteveCrain
Why would anyone give credit to an opinion on this matter when the GCSE criteria is listed on the TSR wiki?

Liverpool take the top 9 GCSEs, and tally 2 points for an A or A*. 15 points is said to suffice, and that would account for 1 or 2 Bs. Bear it in mind though, that they interview from the top downwards.

Well the opinion is relative. A 'high level of GCSE requirements' is subjective, I was just saying that you can't class Liverpool's requirement, which effectively equates to 6As and 3Bs as a high requirement.
Reply 45
Original post by SteveCrain
send me your PS

:nah:
Reply 46
Well the opinion is relative. A 'high level of GCSE requirements' is subjective, I was just saying that you can't class Liverpool's requirement, which effectively equates to 6As and 3Bs as a high requirement.

That isn't that high, no :smile: Birmingham's is just silly..
Reply 47
Hi,

A lot of universities consider your best 9 GCSEs - of me and my friends who have applied to medicine this year and got offers, for most people, most of those 9 have been A*s with a few As. Different unis will place different emphasis on your GCSE grades - some look at them perhaps as close as/more closely than AS levels (eg Queen's Belfast) whilst others are more concerned with things like AS grades, personal statement, community service, etc. If you're applying this year then start researching now what university looks for people with your strengths - medicine is more competitive than ever now and I know plenty of exceptionally intelligent people (8A* and above) who did not get offers simply because they didn't play to their own strengths when making choices.

David
Original post by Clewsy
Some universities barely consider your GCSEs. Newcastle even say the quite like it when someone does poor in GCSEs but well in A Levels because it shows that they are improving.

BSMS also take this view (albeit to a lesser extent). They want a B in maths and English GCSE, but not having these may be overridden by very good As and A2s.
Original post by Tetanus
That isn't that high, no :smile: Birmingham's is just silly..

Well, because it's medicine, Birmingham can get away with it. It is also a highly respected course, which focuses on academics, so I guess they use the 8A* thing as a massive screening thing, though they still interview 800-1000 candidates.
Reply 50
Original post by Clewsy

Surely I would score full marks for GCSEs at Liverpool with 2A* 7A 2B
Original post by arunadindane
Surely I would score full marks for GCSEs at Liverpool with 2A* 7A 2B

You would.
Reply 52
Original post by Tetanus
Cheers man! :biggrin:

Sounds like a lot of applicants, doesn't it! If I'm honest I think it was because of my academics, not the GCSE's so much, more the fact I applied with ABBC at AS. Universities would have thought better of me if I'd had better AS results and GCSES. Mine were definitely both, below average for a medicine application. :s-smilie:

I do think that my PS was ****ing epic though! That is what got me the offer! Make sure you nail the PS and UKCAT! :awesome:

Ahaha I agree.. my GCSEs were 2A*, 8A, 2C.. not too bad but not brilliant. My AS level grades were BBCE, which is pretty bad, and my A levels were ABBD.. so I assume that I must have had a rocking PS which got me past! (UKCAT: 657.5)
Reply 53
Original post by Adalira
Ahaha I agree.. my GCSEs were 2A*, 8A, 2C.. not too bad but not brilliant. My AS level grades were BBCE, which is pretty bad, and my A levels were ABBD.. so I assume that I must have had a rocking PS which got me past! (UKCAT: 657.5)

Did you have mitigating circumstances?
Reply 54
Original post by arunadindane
Did you have mitigating circumstances?

I did, from my year 12, but I didn't mention them in my first or second cycle. Mentioned it in my Peninsula interview and got an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending