The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Here's a question for you guys: where else are you applying?
Original post by irina793

Imperial, Bristol, maybe King's, UCL, LSE or Manchester.
Not warwick, I don't want to live in a field.
Original post by irina793

Right now it's all a bit unsure:
1) Oxford (of course)
2) Either UCL or Imperial (if I apply to both, I'm worried I'll have too many high risk ones)
3) Bristol
4) St. Andrews
5) Depends how worried I am of getting five rejections. Probably Glasgow or Aberdeen or somewhere, so that I can be pretty confident I'll at least be going to university.

Of course, it'll change a bit if i get terrible results/ a B in an exam :tongue:. What about you?

EDIT: Guessing that the reason for the neg rep was joking that a B was terrible? It was a joke! :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dnumberwang

Two of our other options match! :biggrin: I feel exactly the same about Warwick. Except remember, it's not just an empty field. It's a field with several thousand nineteen-year-olds in it. And no way to escape. Hell is other people. :redface:
Well, Oxford, UCL and Edinburgh for sure, but I don't know about my other 2 options..
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Thanks! :smile: It was the Oxford maths person who said that, but he could very easily have said something like 'in an ideal situation' and I misconstrued it. What subject did you apply for? Do you have any other tips for the interview?

I'm actually going to read Human Sciences, should I get AAA later this year.

As for tips during the interview...

Well, it's a game, really. You've got to be as open, honest, and forthcoming as possible, but you've got to appear to be the best damned candidate for the place. God knows I'm not always 100% self-confident, but you've got to try and come across as being at least half socially-acceptable.

My biggest tip is to allow yourself to make mistakes. They want to see the way your mind works. Especially in something like Maths, you've got to make sure you're constantly explaining your method to them, so that they can see the logic. If you make a mistake, don't worry about it! They're grown adults, they expect you to struggle at points -- the trick is being able to say "Oh bugger, that's entirely and completely wrong, isn't it? Where did I go wrong?" They want to see inquisitive minds -- people who will learn from their mistakes and think about things in interesting ways.

As an example of how terribly I thought my interviews went, here's a small transcript of a few questions:

Human Sciences Tutor: How would you fix a cholera outbreak in Haiti?
Me: Oh God... Uhhh, pfft. That's the STI, right? (I'd confused Cholera and Chlamydia)
HST: Uh...
M: No wait! Wait! Bad water! Bad water!
HST: Right.
M: Phew. Now, forget what I just said, and let's go with this new thing.

HST: What would happen in the Human race was to split into two different subsections?
M: You mean like a Zombie apocalypse?
HST: I was thinking more HIV/AIDs.
M: Oh, that could work too.

HST: What did you think of 'The Selfish Gene'?
M: I never actually read that book -- it seemed entirely too hard!

Yeah, I don't know why they gave me an offer either.
Original post by SpeedyDesiato

Haha, my best example of interview mistakery is

Me: ... and n can't be a multiple of 2
Maths tutor: right, so it's a... *waits for me to answer*
Me: Uhh...
MT: What kind of number isn't divisible by 2?
Me: *starting to panic slightly* Ummm...
MT: It's an odd number
(edited 13 years ago)
X

Ummm ... don't get me wrong, I enjoyed your post, but I don't think Oxford are that keen on having their interview questions published on the internet. I'm pretty sure I remember being asked to keep quiet about them, anyway ...
Reply 248
Username: emillie
GCSE: 10 A*'s, 1 A
A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology
Subject: Psychology
College: New
I'm actually going to read Human Sciences, should I get AAA later this year.

As for tips during the interview...

Well, it's a game, really. You've got to be as open, honest, and forthcoming as possible, but you've got to appear to be the best damned candidate for the place. God knows I'm not always 100% self-confident, but you've got to try and come across as being at least half socially-acceptable.

My biggest tip is to allow yourself to make mistakes. They want to see the way your mind works. Especially in something like Maths, you've got to make sure you're constantly explaining your method to them, so that they can see the logic. If you make a mistake, don't worry about it! They're grown adults, they expect you to struggle at points -- the trick is being able to say "Oh bugger, that's entirely and completely wrong, isn't it? Where did I go wrong?" They want to see inquisitive minds -- people who will learn from their mistakes and think about things in interesting ways.

As an example of how terribly I thought my interviews went, here's a small transcript of a few questions:

Human Sciences Tutor: How would you fix a cholera outbreak in Haiti?
Me: Oh God... Uhhh, pfft. That's the STI, right? (I'd confused Cholera and Chlamydia)
HST: Uh...
M: No wait! Wait! Bad water! Bad water!
HST: Right.
M: Phew. Now, forget what I just said, and let's go with this new thing.

HST: What would happen in the Human race was to split into two different subsections?
M: You mean like a Zombie apocalypse?
HST: I was thinking more HIV/AIDs.
M: Oh, that could work too.

HST: What did you think of 'The Selfish Gene'?
M: I never actually read that book -- it seemed entirely too hard!

Human sciences sounds really interesting! I love your zombie apocalypse answer. :laugh: A guy I know got asked at his Cambridge interview why he'd applied for Cambridge, panicked and blurted out something about wanting to be Prime Minister.
Original post by Festina lente
Ummm ... don't get me wrong, I enjoyed your post, but I don't think Oxford are that keen on having their interview questions published on the internet. I'm pretty sure I remember being asked to keep quiet about them, anyway ...

i don't think they're going to be angry about this, most candidates should know what an odd number is. nobody is sitting at home making a note of it.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Two of our other options match! :biggrin: I feel exactly the same about Warwick. Except remember, it's not just an empty field. It's a field with several thousand nineteen-year-olds in it. And no way to escape. Hell is other people. :redface:

:five::five::five:

Looks like some people disagree about warwick though, thanks for the neg rep guys

Original post by dnumberwang
Original post by Festina lente

All those questions are available to read elsewhere, if you do your homework. They asked me to keep quiet, solely to give me the best chances possible. If I told someone being interviewed after me about the questions, they'd be prepared and could steal my place. I've got my offer now - why shouldn't I attempt to help people now? Their possible success won't negatively affect my own future.

(Also, big tip: they don't ask the same questions to every applicant)
Reply 253
To top all of that i spent 25 minutes in an interview for history, only to notice about 5 minutes in that my flies were undone and you could see my boxers, i just totally ignored it but i have a feeling that both of the interviewees noticed! haha! needless to say i got an offer of course :wink:
All those questions are available to read elsewhere, if you do your homework. They asked me to keep quiet, solely to give me the best chances possible. If I told someone being interviewed after me about the questions, they'd be prepared and could steal my place. I've got my offer now - why shouldn't I attempt to help people now? Their possible success won't negatively affect my own future.

(Also, big tip: they don't ask the same questions to every applicant)

I've been through the process myself, so I'm aware of how it works; there's no need for you to be sarcastic. And I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe in helping other applicants!

Just to give you a bit of understanding of where I'm coming from: given what I was told at my interviews, I had understood that it wasn't in the spirit of the process to give out the actual questions, particularly on a public internet forum - that is, it's not just about negatively affecting your own chances, but about the general confidentiality of the process. However, of course this must vary from College to College (maybe even from subject to subject) and I can certainly see it also makes sense for a College just to ask you to keep it to yourself for the duration of the interview period. And it may be that the interviewers in my case were being rather over-cautious/trying to scare us.

Congratulations on your place, in any case; I think I saw that your offer is conditional, and so best of luck for your exams, too.
Reply 255
Original post by peachesandcream77
Any tips for a History applicant? Things that I can do now, or things you wish you knew?

What work experience did you do? I really need to get mine sorted but not sure that there this is something necessary for History?

Hi, I went through it all a few months back.

Extra curriculars are not important at all.

It doesn't matter how good the rest of your application is, you simply have to do well in the HAT. It's an unusual test because you can't really revise for it, and it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I would advise getting familiar with the HAT format; do a few past papers.

http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/hat_introduction.htm

Good luck :smile:
Reply 256
Original post by peachesandcream77
Any tips for a History applicant? Things that I can do now, or things you wish you knew?

What work experience did you do? I really need to get mine sorted but not sure that there this is something necessary for History?

Well i just read around the subject with books that i thought looked good and appealed to me. I mean, just make sure that you can talk about stuff that you don't know anything about (by getting a good idea of historical concepts), and be able to make fast judgements that you can back up but are prepared to re-evaluate/back-up if challenged.

Apart from that, get a good set of AS results, and do some practice for the HAT, just to familiarise yourself with the format of the paper etc...

The interview can be enjoyable, if you see it as an opportunity to have a chat with some world experts about a subject that you both enjoy, and if you are truly passionate about your subject it will shine through; this is where all the reading and extra work is useful. Showing you go further than the curriculum and are curious about the subject is displayed in history through the extra reading that you do (there isn't really much work experience or ECs that will help to be honest). This is all pretty generic information you could apply to any subject.

I also had about 4/5 maybe more of my PS as just books and stuff that i had learnt from them, enjoyed about them, what they made me think about etc. which was pretty useful for interview, but I guess everybody has a different experience for this.

Good Luck anyway, and i hope this helps
I'd like to study Theology, and having studied Student Room, it sure is possible to get in. By the way, have you started reading books related to your subjects guys?
Original post by StudentOfTheMonth
I'd like to study Theology, and having studied Student Room, it sure is possible to get in. By the way, have you started reading books related to your subjects guys?

My college started us reading extra stuff related to Oxbridge from the beginning of the year, so yes quite a bit :smile:
Original post by StudentOfTheMonth

I've been reading books related to my subject for a long time (I think the first one was a book called The Number Devil when I was about six or seven:redface:) but not to help me get in, just because I'm curious and enjoy it. :smile: It definitely isn't too late if you haven't, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending