The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Is it true that by 2013 education through to 17 years of age will be compulsory? and by 2015 it will be compulsory up to 18 years?
Will this make the problem worse?
Original post by d4nny
You support staff people (not just you) have to get out of your fantasy world where everything is free. Support staff, taylored education, etc. costs money! Too much for someone who will just end up in prison or on benefits.

Support staff people?! These kids end up like that ecause they have no role models or ambition, something that support staff can give, no it's not free but just think of it as an investment.
Reply 102
Original post by dom99

Original post by dom99
Is it true that by 2013 education through to 17 years of age will be compulsory? and by 2015 it will be compulsory up to 18 years?

It's true. Yeah it probably will make it worse.
But there will be vocational routes they can take as opposed to A-levels.

Thats why I enjoyed A-level so much, because people were there because they wanted to be.
Original post by dom99

Absolutely. The disruptive students are only there because they have to.
Original post by im so academic
You sure it's that easy?

yes, it really is. Unless, ofc, you're a complete moron who has to get involved with
what the individuals in question are getting up to each lesson

I've put up with plenty of disruptive manz in the state schools i went to and did fine

Comes down to who you are, I should think.
Original post by Tara_Ward
Support staff people?! These kids end up like that ecause they have no role models or ambition, something that support staff can give, no it's not free but just think of it as an investment.

An investment! Firstly, the government has no money. Secondly, for an investment to work, there needs to be a return. These disruptive pupils will end up in prison, on benefits or contributing so little to the economy in taxes that it is by no means worth it. If you put your idea to the dragons, you would be laughed out of the den.
Original post by Singh993
yes, it really is. Unless, ofc, you're a complete moron who has to get involved with

I've put up with plenty of disruptive manz in the state schools i went to and did fine

It's not whether you can ignore them, it's whether a teacher can ignore several of them. Have you ever tried to teach? Well, its very hard if you have people talking over you. If a pupil ignores them, they still won't learn because instead of teaching, the teacher is dealing with the miscreants.
We should not force people to go to school. If students do not like school then it should be their choice not to go. This policy would reduce the amount of disruptive students and serve the interests of society and of the individual.
Original post by Singh993

Oh sorry, took your question in a different way.

Of course it's possible to do well with a class of disruptive kids, although harder to.
That's a hard question, but my first thought would be that the students should be taken out of lessons.
Reply 110
Original post by d4nny
A good idea, but schools will not do this as they spend funding right up to what they get for the last pupil.

What they need to do is stream them, right from Year 8 (people like this never change) into their own form and should be taught seperately in every subject. They should get all of the rubbish teachers, freeing up the good ones for those who want to learn.

Idiot. Disruptive people can change, don't be so ignorant. Also, supplying these 'disruptive' kids witha sub-standard education will do **** all to help them/society, the root of their problem should be identified then worked on, not all disruptive students can be branded as one.

I think many students act out as academia (and traditional school in general ) Is not for them, they know this and so do the teachers. Thus when being forced to 30 hours a week of education will undoubtedly cause them to act out and become disruptive.
Whilst some people are just completely bored by the whole experience,they find the work easy and their minds wander and they end up distracting them selves and others.

Personally I think the best way to go about this would be to adopt the german stance on education. At an earlier age those with academic ability and want are identified and put in to a different secondary school (gymnasium if I remember correctly) whilst those who are not as academically gifted are looked at and other skills/future prospects are identified allowing them to learn and work at a topic they are probably more interested in and will benefit them alot more in the future.
Set people properly. I found it far easier to learn at GCSE when I was in a class with people of my own ability than in my mixed ability year 7/8/9 class. If anything, I was more disruptive then because I was being held back because we could only go as fast as the stupid (and also disruptive) kids.
EDIT: Grammar schools are a good idea. We need more.
Reply 112
A mild electric shock collar. Then, every time they open their mouth without permission BAM, they think better of it. Could be difficult to implement though...
Reply 113
Q. What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

A. POW!
lol only jokin :biggrin:
I think the easiest and most effective way is to just send the pupil out of the class...simples.
Reply 115
Original post by ChrisJ!
A mild electric shock collar. Then, every time they open their mouth without permission BAM, they think better of it. Could be difficult to implement though...

..i luuuuuuuuuuurrrv it! Maybe a wee bit psychotic though :yep:
Original post by PCS
Idiot. Disruptive people can change, don't be so ignorant. Also, supplying these 'disruptive' kids witha sub-standard education will do **** all to help them/society, the root of their problem should be identified then worked on, not all disruptive students can be branded as one.

I think many students act out as academia (and traditional school in general ) Is not for them, they know this and so do the teachers. Thus when being forced to 30 hours a week of education will undoubtedly cause them to act out and become disruptive.
Whilst some people are just completely bored by the whole experience,they find the work easy and their minds wander and they end up distracting them selves and others.

Personally I think the best way to go about this would be to adopt the german stance on education. At an earlier age those with academic ability and want are identified and put in to a different secondary school (gymnasium if I remember correctly) whilst those who are not as academically gifted are looked at and other skills/future prospects are identified allowing them to learn and work at a topic they are probably more interested in and will benefit them alot more in the future.

As a grammar school pupil, I agree with your last comment, as despite my stance, I have it a lot better than a comprehensive student who wants to learn.

However, I disagree with everything else you've said. I find the work easy, but it doesn't mean I ruin it for those who are struggling but want to learn by talking. Also, disruptive kids don't change. If I'd given a list of those I found disruptive in year 7, it would be the same as the one I'd give now in year 11. Lastly, why should kids who are rude and don't listen deserve the good teachers? The British education system is too focussed on making **** people average rather than letting the intelligent excel. This is why we are falling behind in the world in terms of education.
You've failed to answer my question. What if it's 50% of the class that misbehaves?

I'm in my second year of college and.. People still don't shut up. Tutors say things like 'leave if you want' but they know that no real action will take place so they just sit there and still mess about. It doesn't matter what the teacher threatens to do now because they all know that it's just empty words.

Thus take action.

Do you know why they don't btw?

Funding.
Reply 118
unfortunately you will face people like this throughout your whole life. When coming to university I was expecting to leave people like this behind but I was wrong.

In lectures you have those idiots that sit at the back and talk, phones going off blackberry pigging every 10 minutes, and I am like are you thick yeh I have a blackberry but mines on silent is it so hard for you to find the silent mode??

Then you've got that couple that sit behind you and talk throughout the whole lecture but, the lecturer never catches them somehow! They never take notes and sit there touching each other up whispering making me want to puke!

You also have those idiots that yes still throw paper planes, balls of paper!

And sometimes maybe sometimes the lecturer may get so fed up that they just might kick those idiots out but that's rare, as you can imagine takes up alot of the time to tell them 'yes you, you the one with the green shirt get out' the guy just sits there in disbelief with an expression like me?????? and then when they do finally decide to get up and go it's like be ashamed of yourself but nope its like some sort of an award like yeh thats right im so kewl, erm no your not your a loser!

Well thats what I have had to put up with my first year of uni, you just learn to deal with it. The reason its makes me so annoyed is I can't concentrate if people like the couple are sitting behind me talking constantly. What I don't get is lectures aren't even compulsory there no register get the hell out, notes are online!!! I dunno Just praying they aren't in the modules I pick next year!
Dress them up as goldfish and feed them to flocks of ravenous herons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending