The Student Room Group

If you want the royal family, you pay for them

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Selkarn
So if there was an 80% Muslim majority in this country, you'd be happy with having a non-Muslim monarchy ruling over you?

There isn't an 80% Muslim Majority in this country. Are you muslim by the way? I am starting to question whether you create this thread to provoke an argument or doing something daft.

I am ok with the royal family ruling the UK. I am not fussed in any manner. Like most muslims in the UK are. Like I say, there isn't 80% Muslim Majority in this country.

I am going to leave at that. You can quote me all you like, I am no longer going to participate. I am wary of your intentions. It seems your hellbent on stirring up trouble. You could have had your view, the fact that you mentioned "Islam" or "Muslim" just highlights that your being mischievous and your trying to create some sort of trouble.

Like I say, I have no problem with Royal family, I am ok with the Royal Family. I am not fussed. That is a view I believe is shared by most muslims.
(edited 13 years ago)
Firstly, 66p is less than I thought, and I hate them slightly less now for having read that.

But I am highly sceptical about the money they supposedly make the country through "tourism". I can't see anyone basing their decision to visit the UK on the royal family, and I think that once here tourists are going to spend a certain amount on touristy crap, and whether it has the queen or tower bridge on it makes no odds. So, I expect that the number of people coming over isn't affected significantly, and the amount spent by each tourist isn't affected significantly. There are bound to be exceptions, but not enough (in my mind) to cover the money that goes in the royal family.

Besides, why do we need to fund them so highly? Surely cutting the money that continues to go to them and making them pay their own ways through working (or, more likely, investing the money they already have in something that keeps them wealthy without necessitating actual labour) but keeping them around would produce a similar amount of tourism (if it produces any at all) but at a much lower cost?
Reply 42
Original post by The_Male_Melons
There isn't an 80% Muslim Majority in this country

I didn't say there was.

So if there was an 80% Muslim majority in this country
Reply 43
Original post by RadioHawk
i dont live in a council house but i'm paying for them
i want my tax back...

Read OP. Also, considering reporting you to mods for spam.
Reply 44
Original post by Selkarn
Damn you're intelligence baffles me. MPs are elected. If they were not elected then they wouldn't be able to be ministers. They are only able to be ministers because they are elected. And some ministers are ministers from past experience e.g. Peter Mandelson.

And -shock, horror- Mandelson is a Lord, not an MP! How do you square this with your hatred of the monarchy?
So, do you also think that people who send their kids to private schools and who receive private health care should be able to opt out of paying for education and the NHS?
Reply 46
Original post by Selkarn
Typical middle class TSR Tory-voter. If the Queen makes so much money, then she doesn't need my money to supplement her luxury lifestyle. End of story.

I'm working class actually and I'm not a tory, but if you cut down on abuse of the benefits system the country would save a lot, but in regards to what the Queen does, 60-66p a year isn't that much.
Reply 47
Original post by Selkarn
You're all making the exact same point so I'll just address them all in one post.

Yep, the exact same point - you're a moron. :wink:

Of course, you do realise that the Queen voluntarily pays tax, and that is a significantly greater value than the money she receives for performing official duties, which would in any case have to be funded by the tax payer in the event we became a republic, with the added bonus of having to pay a salary to any new head of state, and so it would cost considerably more..
Reply 48
Original post by LtCommanderData
Firstly, 66p is less than I thought, and I hate them slightly less now for having read that.

Besides, why do we need to fund them so highly? Surely cutting the money that continues to go to them and making them pay their own ways through working (or, more likely, investing the money they already have in something that keeps them wealthy without necessitating actual labour) but keeping them around would produce a similar amount of tourism (if it produces any at all) but at a much lower cost?

Please give an example of where the money could be cut.

Be aware that:-

The only person who receives money are the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
They only get money for the functions of Head of State that are carried out.
Any minor royal which gets money for a service they perform has their cost covered by the Queen's money.
Reply 49
As of 2003/4, the crown gave 179.3 million pounds to the treasury

Whilst costing £40 million a year http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/your...al-family.html(So we each give 66p a year, and get a whole load more back)

And heres some more referencing for you

Money that the monarchy puts into the treasury: http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/news...al-results.htm
The cost of our monarchy http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8124022.stm

So tired of these stupid anti-monarchists complaining about the royals being benefit scroungers
Sorry, no thanks. The Tourism pays for it an more.
Original post by Selkarn

I can only hope the current rates of Islam's expansion continue, if Muslims became a majority in this country I'm pretty sure the parasitic scum known as the monarchy would be otherthrew.

And just like that you've invalidated your argument.
Original post by Selkarn
Read OP. Also, considering reporting you to mods for spam.

Buy one less freddo and packet of crisps a year (yeah, thats right. I said it! Lose the freddo you fat ****er), you've made you're 66p back. Then give the 66p you made to the kid.
Problem poor fag?
Original post by gladders
Example of where the money could be cut:

They could pay for their own travel (£6.5 million on travel in a year - if you want to pay to get them places to perform head of state duties, do it more cheaply - and don't pay for any more of their travel) and the "running of the royal household"

EDIT: In fact, send her on the bus - she's old enough that it'd be totally free!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bosch

Whilst costing £40 million a year http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/your...al-family.html(So we each give 66p a year, and get a whole load more back)

Money that the monarchy puts into the treasury: http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/news...al-results.htm

So tired of these stupid anti-monarchists complaining about the royals being benefit scroungers

Good links friend.
Shame the idiot who wrote OP is to blind in his anti-crown rage to accept it :doh:
Reply 55
Original post by Selkarn
x.

sorry if Im confusing you with someone else here but are you that working-class white lad who thinks Islam will give working class people and especially children a sense of community and leadership?

Random! :confused:
Original post by Tefhel
Welcome to the UK. Everyone is paying for things they don't want to.

The majority of the country doesn't want to be paying for students, so how about everyone pays the full costs of the education, with no government loans or grants?

If Person A wants to do a media studies degree at Thames Valley, and Person B doesn't want to do a degree, why should Person B be paying for something they don't get enjoyment out of.

Hey, I'm just using your logic.

Indirectly, person B benefits from funding students' degrees. Graduates are beneficial to society as a whole; they provide skills and knowledge which contribute towards the growth in the economy in the future. In your example, you've chosen to highlight a somewhat devalued degree at a somewhat disrespected institution, but there are of course, many students that contribute a great deal and are, consequently, a good investment.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by LtCommanderData
They could pay for their own travel (£6.5 million on travel in a year - if you want to pay to get them places to perform head of state duties, do it more cheaply - and don't pay for any more of their travel) and the "running of the royal household"

That's what happens now. They get money from the Department of Transport for carrying out Head of State duties, including costs travelling to and from such locations where they're doing something.

Perhaps it could be a little bit more stringent I'll grant you, but as the bill is specifically only for things the government considers to be Head of State related, I don't see how by any substantive margin.
Reply 58
Original post by Miu-Miu
sorry if Im confusing you with someone else here but are you that working-class white lad who thinks Islam will give working class people and especially children a sense of community and leadership?

Random! :confused:

I don't pander to being slotted into any class groups, but that's probably me, yes. Why?
Reply 59
Original post by Bosch

Richard Branson probably brings in (at an arbitrary guess) about £10 billion into the UK economy. Do we have a law in which everyone in the country must pay him, because he does this? No, because he's not parasitic scum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending