The Student Room Group

The most easiest med school?

Heyy guys,

i know theres no such thing as an easy medical school but which places has the least number of applicants and where is the easiest place to get into considering i only got 2 A's at GCSE and rest Bs!
(Even though im doing well at a level!)

Appreciate the comments!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

EDIT 2: I've made a mistake in saying some of these universities which you will not be able to attend because of high GCSE requirements. It is very difficult to say which med schools are easier to get into than others - so I've shown one factor of ease here.

So let me revise my statement: These universities are easier than others in one way: If you get an offer, these universities' offers will be easier to meet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
All of them.

or none of them.
Reply 3
Those med schools who have AAB requirements etc and are thought to be easy are actually very hard to get into. e.g Keele received over 3000 applicants for 150 places this year, probably because a lot of people applied thinking its easy to get in to.
Reply 4
Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

With those GCSE's he'll only be able to get into one of them which is leicester, the grade requirements for A level have nothing to do with it. Leeds like good GCSE's. Barts/southampton/brighton/UCL/peninsula/newcastle/durham are the only places I think you can choose, what did you get an A in?
Erm there's no such thing as an easy medical school as all are veyr hard to get into because they're vastly oversubscribed and by the time 2012 entry process begins most if not all medical schools will be asking for AAA grades as a minimum.

Even for places asking for AAB like Keele as someone mentioned, as vastly oversubscribed and most of the time the people receiving offers are predicted way above the minimum offer.

Also you ask which universities have the least amount of applicants per place well that would be somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge but I wouldn't say they were easy to get into. No medical school is easy to get into. Your best bet is to write to the medical schools and ask them if they would consider you based on your GCSE grades as these may not meet the minimum requirement at some places. You are also looking at having to get at least AAA at A-level to stand any chance in addition to a strong non-academic profile and work experience etc. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by hassi94

stupid post is stupid
Reply 7
Original post by MedicSoon!
Heyy guys,

i know theres no such thing as an easy medical school but which places has the least number of applicants and where is the easiest place to get into considering i only got 2 A's at GCSE and rest Bs!
(Even though im doing well at a level!)

Appreciate the comments!:smile:

It depends. If you got less than stellar grades because of the school you went to, eg. if it was in a deprived area, and average results were low, there are certain courses that may be slightly "easier" to get into- King's EMPD springs to mind.

Otherwise, nope, unfortunately they're all about equal and all quite solid- just tailor your application to a uni that doesn't place so much emphasis on GCSEs (avoid Birmingham like the plague) and do really well on the UKCAT/ BMAT, get lots of work experience and you should be in with a chance :smile:
Likely the ones with the strictest UKCAT cut off points.. im sure for medicine and dentistry they are the same schools so..

Kings
QMUL
Sheffield
Cardiff
Original post by hassi94

Oh how little you know about med school admissions.....you can't judge how competitive they are on the basis of those entry requirements. Bristol is probably the most competitive med school in the county on the basis of the applicants to places ratio.
Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94

really? :lolwut:
The "easiest" varies from person to person (although they all require a lot of work).

OP you need to do some research and find out what schools you meet the requirements for.
Stop making all of these threads, we have stickies at the top of the forum for a reason. Also, from what I gather there are no English medical schools with AAB requirements for 2012 entry, there may still be in Scotland however.

Also people who are saying Bristol is 'easy' to get into are dead wrong, for 2010 applications they had a applicant:tongue:lace ratio of 17:1 ! There are no easy to get into medical schools, just some that play better to your strengths.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BackDoorEntry
Likely the ones with the strictest UKCAT cut off points.. im sure for medicine and dentistry they are the same schools so..

Kings
QMUL
Sheffield
Cardiff

Sheff and Kings are hard to get into.
Reply 14
i know it sounds stupid, but medicine is about an all round effort, and asking "the most easiest" definately isn't going to get you any brownie points. i hate to be a grammer nazi, but they will be judging you on everything.

otherwise i agree with everything everyone else has said, there is no such thing as an easy med school, and ones that are thought of as "easier" usually end up with more applicants. don't quote me on this, but i think at one point cambridge had the fewest applicants for medicine because not that many wanna make it even more competitive for themselves.
Reply 15
You really need to do some research into Medical schools which don't take into account your GCSE's as much as others when scoring applicants. For example, it'd be useless applying to universities that want X number of A*'s at GCSE as a minimum requirement. Comb over the minimum requirments for Medicine at various universities online and look for those for which you'll have a chance.

I'd also note with those GCSE's try your best to perform well at the UKCAT then apply to universities which use the UKCAT to rank applicants when offering interviews (e.g. Newcastle I think) and then try to wow them at interview.

I'm not sure but I think some of the universities that your GCSE's might not be too much of an issue when applying (if you score highly in the other areas) are: Barts, Aberdeen, Birghton and Sussex, Dundee, Durham, Kings, Leeds, Leiceter, Newcastle, Peninsula, Southampton and St Andrews.

However although the ones above don't score specifically on GCSE's or ask for a set number of GCSE's officially on their requirements by no means is to say that they don't consider them when selecting for interviews. Personally I'd say your best bet is to aim for the Unis which really focus highly on the UKCAT in their selection process and aim to ace that.

Good luck, it's still definitally possible for you to get into Medical School but make sure you can balance out your average (only in a medicial school applicant context!) grades with strong critera elsewhere.
Original post by confuchaz

Original post by confuchaz
i know it sounds stupid, but medicine is about an all round effort, and asking "the most easiest" definately isn't going to get you any brownie points. i hate to be a grammer nazi, but they will be judging you on everything.

And I hate to be a spelling nazi, but it's grammar :p:
Reply 17
Original post by jam277
With those GCSE's he'll only be able to get into one of them which is leicester, the grade requirements for A level have nothing to do with it. Leeds like good GCSE's. Barts/southampton/brighton/UCL/peninsula/newcastle/durham are the only places I think you can choose, what did you get an A in?

Leicester? i dont think i have a good chance with them as they want good set of A*! :frown: and i got my As in maths and english literature!
To those disagreeing - I realise that my list isn't brilliant - and that's because there is no good list. I just based it being dependant on one particular factor hoping it would help a little.

If I were to do it accurately it would be different and I'd have to take loads of other factors into consideration. But frankly I don't have the time to do that - so I'm just going off one factor to have some positive input.

Cambridge and Oxford probably have the highest acceptance rate but that's because only the best go for them!
Reply 19
Original post by hassi94

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

Thanks! that helped and Glasgow looks promising!:smile: and LOL at the last comment :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending