The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christien
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyzzyx_Road

30 bucks! But, when you hire Tom Sizemore, what do you expect? :teehee:

Bingo, that's the film I was referencing xD made even less than I thought

and Sean - don't listen to the joke suggestions, Transformers Revenge of the fallen it's a lot more intelligent and slower than the first/sarcasm :ahee:
Original post by Christien
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zyzzyx_Road

30 bucks! But, when you hire Tom Sizemore, what do you expect? :teehee:

Holy ****! :teehee:

Budget: $2 million, Gross revenue: $30

Unofficially, its opening weekend netted $20. The $10 difference is due to a personal refund by Grillo to makeup artist Sheila Moore, who had worked on the film, and her friend

Brilliant.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Transformers. :rofl:

Ah yeah, Paranormal Activity... now they are milking it. Getting bored of doors creaking and closing. :colonhash:

I know a film that grossed very low - Pimp grossed like £205. :mmm:

*Still waiting for a Pegg and Frost inspired parody film of PA, 'Normal Activity', a completely mundane, normal film with an everyday plot

that's why we need Scary movie 5, to parody PA, Twilight, Skyline and some other recent crappy films
Reply 723
Of all the things cinema needs right now, another 'Movie' movie is not one of them. :nothing:
Still awaiting Scary movie 5. think of a film genre you really hate, now think of a well made parody film spoofing it, yeah... it's a nice thought
lukejoshjedi, if your thread hadn't been restricted to science fiction films, I would have posted this mind****:

There's little point. You have already formed your negative opinion of the film. We have ours, and to be frank - no matter how much your opinion differs, you can never take away from the great work that Blade Runner is from both of its time and 'till this day. Nor can you take back how it influenced future works, nor take away from its acting, story, visuals, philosophical themes and complex narrative just because you didn't pay attention or put in the effort when watching. The soundtrack and atmosphere are astounding, the futuristic, dystopian world is beautifully crafted, the setting, set design and visuals are sublime, and the story allows for wide interpretation of its many themes. More importantly, it brings to light those philosophical questions: What does it mean to be human? It's like a lens, the film offers social commentary on many aspects of society - that are still relevant to this day. It's intelligent, innovative and profound, haunting and sentimental. It's subtle but powerful (unicorn). That much is undeniable and obvious from an objective viewpoint.

Of course it has weaknesses like any other film, but its strengths gloss over any glaring imperfections. I just don't see how that warrants calling it '****'. The only implication seems to arise from that is that you can't appreciate a film for what it is, what is represents and what effect it has had.

It may bring to light those philosophical questions, but that is not half so difficult as attempting to address them.
Like mini Yodas? :awesome:

That thing that killed the first Lantern, and you see ravaging around in the city in the later part of the video - is that the monster you called Parallax?

No.

That is the monster they call Parallax.

:colonhash:
I tend to watch at least a film or two each day. Getting harder to find things to suit my tastes now as I prefer comedies to thrillers etc for the most part.

Watching TSR for the hundredth time currently :h:
Reply 729
I watched Blues Brothers last night. It was quite good.

My sister says she's going to take me to see Submarine on Thursday, yay!
Original post by Seanisonfire
Love Donnie, will check out Primer....Equilibrium :indiff:

Primer will mess you up, just saying.
Reply 731
Welcome to the Film Chat thread and society! :h:

Cheers, big ears. :girl:
Original post by Tom.
Cheers, big ears. :girl:

TOM
lukejoshjedi, if your thread hadn't been restricted to science fiction films, I would have posted this mind****:

woah what is that, seems freaky. Foreign film?

and Christien was it you that played Jedi Knight 1 and 2? Not a fan of Jedi academy?
Reply 734
Original post by lukejoshjedi
woah what is that, seems freaky. Foreign film?

and Christien was it you that played Jedi Knight 1 and 2? Not a fan of Jedi academy?

I liked all of 'em, but the original Jedi Knight and JKII are better games than JA. JA has the advantage in mechanics and powers though, which is why I still play it.
Cooked dinner for my mum because I'm a good son, and now I'm going to find my copy of Slumdog Millionaire to watch with her. :h:
Reply 736
I finish Uni for the year next Friday, and bar one pesky exam in May, after that I'll be free to watch films to my heart's content until late September! :woo:
Reply 737
I watched the independent film Red Road today, and thought it was incredible; it's one of the few movies I can remember watching and not once thinking that I'd have done something differently. Wow.
Reply 738
I watched Choke today, completely messed up but it's funny and I really enjoyed it!

Has anyone read the novel?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aja89

Original post by aja89
I watched Choke today, completely messed up but it's funny and I really enjoyed it!

Has anyone read the novel?

Yes, and the film doesn't hold a candle to it. It gives it a good go but it completely misses the tone of the book, which is a bit unfortunate. I'm still waiting patiently for the day when they film Survivor, which if they do it right will make Fight Club seem family friendly and probably end up banned in America. One day when I'm rich I am going to make that film, and it will be amazing.

I'm a massive Palahniuk fan. :p: I got a signed copy of Choke from an Oxfam bookshop for £2. :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest