The Student Room Group

anymore NEW MEDICAL SCHOOLS set to open in UK? (LIKE KEELE)?

Is there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yh?
Reply 2
I would doubt it at the moment, considering the financial situation many universities are in.
Reply 3
I don't think so. I haven't heard of any set to open so far. It would be good if some did. Then more suitable prospective medical students could be accomodated for. Try googling it at first maybe. Money however is a bit of an issue at this moment in time. If any do...... I hope somehow in an oddly quick way: It opens up before UCAS 2012 :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
i hope not. if anything, they need to stem the flow of medical graduates. there aren't enough jobs at the end!!
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I don't think so. I haven't heard of any set to open so far. It would be good if some did. Then more suitable prospective medical students could be accomodated for. Try googling it at first maybe. Money however is a bit of an issue at this moment in time. If any do...... I hope somehow in an oddly quick way: It opens up before UCAS 2012 :smile:

Me too :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by thegodofgod
Me too :tongue:

Good luck matey :yy:
Good luck matey :yy:

Thank you :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by fairycakes
i hope not. if anything, they need to stem the flow of medical graduates. there aren't enough jobs at the end!!

I know. This is unfortunate but I guess if you are a suitable doctor , why should you be stopped from pursuing your dream. If anything as medicine is a career that opens doors worldwide , you should go somewhere else and practice med. It is good experience too.
Reply 9
Damn you are quick at replying!! :eek:

Where might you go to study?

Did yougo to the UCAS fair 2011 at Kensington Olympia the other day :holmes:

Thegodofgod
Thanks
I hope so. There should be a university that accepts people that have no medicine offers.

It will be the greatest university in the Universe. Lol.
Damn you are quick at replying!! :eek:

Where might you go to study?

Did yougo to the UCAS fair 2011 at Kensington Olympia the other day :holmes:

Lol - I've thought about UCL, Keele, Leicester, Newcastle - and no, I didn't attend the fair
Reply 12
Lol - I've thought about UCL, Keele, Leicester, Newcastle - and no, I didn't attend the fair

Oh okay. Nice choices. Shame I have some pretty unimpressive GCSE's imo for a prospective med student and left a lot of work till now. Only now have I actually picked up a book outside of class.

The race to get 4 A grades is on. Now I have to get some work experience now.

I know. This is unfortunate but I guess if you are a suitable doctor , why should you be stopped from pursuing your dream. If anything as medicine is a career that opens doors worldwide , you should go somewhere else and practice med. It is good experience too.

well it seems a lot of wasted money from the tax payer and government to subsidise paying for doctors that will not benefit this country. it's not easy to practice elsewhere in a field of your choice either.
Oh okay. Nice choices. Shame I have some pretty unimpressive GCSE's imo for a prospective med student and left a lot of work till now. Only now have I actually picked up a book outside of class.

The race to get 4 A grades is on. Now I have to get some work experience now.

Me too - I've only got 2 weeks of work experience, and I'm gonna start volunteering soon at a nursing home (once I find a decent reference :colondollar:)
Reply 15
Me too - I've only got 2 weeks of work experience, and I'm gonna start volunteering soon at a nursing home (once I find a decent reference :colondollar:)

Oh yeah. I have none and I must get one with it before I am forced to go to bloody Dominica in the summer :colonhash:

Original post by fairycakes
well it seems a lot of wasted money from the tax payer and government to subsidise paying for doctors that will not benefit this country. it's not easy to practice elsewhere in a field of your choice either.

Do bear in mind we have to pay back our student loan after. Maybe some sort of system could be put in place to ensure we do pay it when abroad.

We may or may not do an F1 and F2 placement. This is a benefit to the country.

We also do clinical placements in years 3 onwards. This is also a benefit to the country as we are doing something to help out in the hospital etc.....

That reminds me, I need to find some references too :rolleyes:

Do bear in mind we have to pay back our student loan after. Maybe some sort of system could be put in place to ensure we do pay it when abroad.

We also do clinical placements in years 3 onwards. This is also a benefit to the country as we are doing something to help out in the hospital etc.....

it cost £250,000 to train a medical student (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/why-does-training-some-doctors-cost-three-times-as-much-as-others-513659.html) you personally are not paying for all of it.

1 or 2 years work is not really paying back that investment.

clinical placements - to be honest, generally you are more in the way than contributing to the care of the patients at the point in your studies.

there are way too many graduates as it is. the extra places that have been opened up in the recent past will be graduating soon. where will they go? there are also not enough f1 and f2 jobs. they beginning to decrease jobs at junior level and already decreasing jobs at more senior levels. some trusts are firing consultants.

school leavers should seriously reconsider choosing medicine as a career.

The amount that students pay towards a medical course does not total the amount of money this course costs. The tax payers pay for a lot of it. And how is doing/not doing an F1/2 placement a benefit?

And clinical placements are not helping out in the hospital at all. Most of the time it's more of a hindrance than a help.

Basically, an increase in numbers just wouldn't work, whether they went abroad or not. Why do you think the government sets a specific quota on the amount of spaces for medicine?
Original post by Normandy114
That reminds me, I need to find some references too :rolleyes:

lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending