The Student Room Group

A Moral Dilemma

I'm diabetic and have been offered the option to have extra time in exams.
It would probably help me get better grades because of the extra time to look over, no need to rush etc.

The only problem is that i'm not sure I agree with the idea. Surely the whole point of havin exams is to seperate those who can't work under those conditions from those who can + find out who can actually do the work?

What do you think?

Thank you :s-smilie:
Honestly, I'd probably agree with your second point - but some would class that as being prejudice. You're provided the time though, and if I was you I'd take any extra help you can get - why let help go to waste.

In this world you've gotta fight for yourself, and if you take the extra time you won't be doing anything wrong even if you think it's not as respectable. Do everything to help your chances tbh!
Reply 2
I'd take an A over the moral high ground any day.
Reply 3
Take it. Your grades will help you out a lot in future life.
Reply 4
Yes, the extra advantage is not earned and may result in an undeservedly higher grade for you.

However, walking through open doors is nothing to be ashamed of.
Original post by OwainPJ
I'm diabetic and have been offered the option to have extra time in exams.
It would probably help me get better grades because of the extra time to look over, no need to rush etc.

The only problem is that i'm not sure I agree with the idea. Surely the whole point of havin exams is to seperate those who can't work under those conditions from those who can + find out who can actually do the work?

What do you think?

Thank you :s-smilie:

the point of an exam is to find out how much you know, not to stress-test you. this gives you an equal chance to demonstrate your level of knowledge.

anyway, if you want you could tell any future employer that you had extra time due to diabetes, and let decide whether they care.
Reply 6
The problem with the second view is that real life isn't made of exams. In fact, they're quite meaningless and won't show how good of a worker bee you'll be. If they wouldn't be shi.t, I could see merit in not taking the extra time, but things being as they are, don't make it harder on yourself pointlessly.
Reply 7
Take it and run :smile:
I hate my friends who get extra time in exams (In a friendly way of course). But I hate it even more when they have the chance of extra time but don't use it.

My friend didn't use his extra time in Chemistry AS and only got a C in it. He could have just stayed in that room for an extra half hour but he chose not to and failed.

By luck and chance you gained this benefit, you could regret not using it later when you have sacrificed the uni or job you wished for from childhood.
Secondly, remember that you are not just competing against others at your school, who will all have roughly the same preparation as you. There are people at private schools who will have hours of private tuition for those same exams, and access to much better teaching than you (probably) who are virtually guaranteed A's regardless of skill in their subjects.
Reply 10
Who cares if it's moral? They say you can have more time, have more time!
Just use the extra time, don't worry, you are not doing anything wrong.
Reply 12
Well, that settles it then, I'll take the time... Still not happy about it though :frown:
Thanks everyone!
Take it, although I'm not very sure as to how having Diabetes affects how quickly you think / write etc. :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest