The Student Room Group

GCSE Greek

Scroll to see replies

I didn't, but I know someone who did. I don't think it's that much of a challenge if you have an aptitude for languages, to be honest.

Baklava, anyone? :tongue:
Original post by Rascacielos
I didn't, but I know someone who did. I don't think it's that much of a challenge if you have an aptitude for languages, to be honest.

Baklava, anyone? :tongue:

I am pretty sure ancient Greeks didn't have baklava.
Original post by Xristina
I am pretty sure ancient Greeks didn't have baklava.

Seeing as it's actually Turkish, I highly doubt it. But I thought I would just mention it anyway, as it's a favourite of mine. :cookie:
Original post by LuxVeritatis
There you go - the document is attached. I just have a funny feeling that my version of the Greek is abridged...

Thanks, I'll look over it tonight and let you know what I come up with.
This is the Greek I have for the bit I translated ("Harpagus... in whichever way you like"):

This is the Greek I have for the bit I translated ("Harpagus... in whichever way you like"):

The translation you have is correct! I don't know why Perseus has that, are you sure you read the right part of the translation in Perseus?

Ok your text is actually an adaptation. Herodotus uses an older type of Greek but your text is adapted to be more attic like. So they just took of some parts of it.
I'm doing Classical Greek on OCR this June - doing the Herodotus "Infancy of Cyrus" for the prose and the Odyssey extracts for verse. Seemplez

glad to hear you find it 'seemplez' lol! I don't...
Reply 29
so guys... got greek prose on monday 23rd may 2011, i'm doing herodotus infancy & boyhood of cyrus (like most others).. since our teacher was sort of rubbish and we didn't finish prose until a few weeks ago we have not had any chance to learn it (there are 7 people in my class taking gcse classical greek). i have got a system of learning it, like some other, i type it out with greek line then english then greek and so on... buuuuuuuuut i'm worried about knowing what each word means. sometimes it's easy to work out from elimination and some words are obvious like to speak, etc. but there are lots of other words that well i don't know the meaning of... advice? english learning is going good, breaking up into chunks of lines and reciting it out load blah blah blah... greek part is about 50% there, just need to find a way of learning unusual words. (for some reason, im doing latin as well, i find words in the latin easier to learn and recognise... oh and any advice for if i have latin language and greek language one the same day which I DO, damn it... )
Reply 30
ah good idea, i might try that thanks (actually exam is on wednesday hehehe... my bad...)
Reply 31
My class has begun learning Classical Greek this year (to take the GCSE next year). I've gone far ahead of my syllabus as far as Language is concerned, because I've learnt all the vocabulary and grammatical constructions required in the AS syllabus (well, all of them in John Taylor's A-Level Greek book), plus a whole load of another 1200 Greek words. Of course, that doesn't mean that I would be able to instantly translate anything at AS-Level because I don't yet have a full understanding of the language, but I would still prefer to do at least the Language part of the GCSE this year (the 2010 Past Paper seems extremely easy). Since I haven't done any independent study of Literature (nor has my class started it), I am obviously completely unprepared for the Literature exam (but I'm not taking it this year).

If you want to know anything about Greek or the way I'm studying Greek, feel free to ask.
Original post by GameGod
My class has begun learning Classical Greek this year (to take the GCSE next year). I've gone far ahead of my syllabus as far as Language is concerned, because I've learnt all the vocabulary and grammatical constructions required in the AS syllabus (well, all of them in John Taylor's A-Level Greek book), plus a whole load of another 1200 Greek words. Of course, that doesn't mean that I would be able to instantly translate anything at AS-Level because I don't yet have a full understanding of the language, but I would still prefer to do at least the Language part of the GCSE this year (the 2010 Past Paper seems extremely easy). Since I haven't done any independent study of Literature (nor has my class started it), I am obviously completely unprepared for the Literature exam (but I'm not taking it this year).

If you want to know anything about Greek or the way I'm studying Greek, feel free to ask.

Did you do Odyssey and Cyrus?
Reply 33
I neeed help on Cyrus because I'm doing this mock paper and there's a question on the boyhood of Cyrus and how the last bit (when Astyages interrogates Cyrus and he answers and then Astyages almost tortures the herdsman) is made interesting for the reader. ???!!? I am the only one in my year doing Greek and we didn't annotate that bit AT ALL.

My exam is tomorrow. Yay?

Anyone know any quick language-y stuff to just splurge, seeing as this isn't actually a past question and so they might ask about this section?
Reply 34
well best advice I can give is just pick out words: like it says in the question the choice and position of words. so key words in his speech might be placed at the beginning or end of sentences or clauses for effect. and the word itself might be quite strong in a sense. the sounds of words add effect like lots of consonant sounds or vowel sounds. shame you can't really do alliteration (according to my teacher) as apparently if there is any it's all coincidental or accidental...

hope this helped
Original post by Ajbadge
so guys... got greek prose on monday 23rd may 2011, i'm doing herodotus infancy & boyhood of cyrus (like most others).. since our teacher was sort of rubbish and we didn't finish prose until a few weeks ago we have not had any chance to learn it (there are 7 people in my class taking gcse classical greek). i have got a system of learning it, like some other, i type it out with greek line then english then greek and so on... buuuuuuuuut i'm worried about knowing what each word means. sometimes it's easy to work out from elimination and some words are obvious like to speak, etc. but there are lots of other words that well i don't know the meaning of... advice? english learning is going good, breaking up into chunks of lines and reciting it out load blah blah blah... greek part is about 50% there, just need to find a way of learning unusual words. (for some reason, im doing latin as well, i find words in the latin easier to learn and recognise... oh and any advice for if i have latin language and greek language one the same day which I DO, damn it... )

Hey so how did you find it :smile: I am doing greek next year! What came up in this Cyrus test so I can do some practice questions?
Reply 36
I thought it was a really nice exam, from my point of view anyway :smile:...

Yeah that sounds about right :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by kate.overall
Did you do Odyssey and Cyrus?

My class just started learning Greek this year, and are generally well below GCSE-level (I'm only where I am because I learnt the language stuff independently). We're currently studying the beginning of Chapter 6 of the book "Greek to GCSE: Part 1" by John Taylor (with 1 lesson a week).

Therefore, we're focusing (as a class) completely on learning the language. We haven't started learning any literature, and (because I haven't bothered so far to independently learn any literature) I don't know any literature myself.
Original post by toff33popcorn
How did you find it?? It was so straightforward! I LOVED it :biggrin:

Loved the essay questions :smile: so straight forward and the points were literally handed to you. Did any of you get the translation part? I think it was the part of how ''having heard this and having taken up the child the herdsman went back on to the same road behind and arrived at his hut (dwelling place). And to this man, on that day, his wife gave birth to a child''

xx

I found it ok though I felt slightly rushed, but maybe I just wrote too much... for the essay questions, how many points did you tend to make for each bullet point and how many style points? because I had no idea how many to put lol :P E.g. for the one on the 2nd big essay question, what did you write for the last bullet point (somethng to do with time and pace)???
Also, for the translation I wrote: having heard these things, he took up the child and carried back on the same road and arrived at his hut. And on that same day, his wife have birth to a child" Do you tihnk I would get the full 5 marks for that?
Reply 39
Original post by Ajbadge

how did you find the prose exam?

i also have latin and greek on the same day... i also have ANOTHER exam... 3 exams in 1 day. oh the joys. if i had any tips i would share them but i dont! but I'm doing is 2 pages of vocab learning a day, starting tomorrow (i.e. once physics is over...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending